World Voyage with a 5-year Old

CI66774

I think what you're asking is whether HAL will provide a private sitter/counselor for your 5 year old each day.

There usually are staff members that are trained to do this but IMHO it really would be a push. Particularly since you indicate you are only interested in some segments.

There are no organized children’s activities because there are typically no or only occasionally one or two children on the World Cruise. Last year there was one family but they brought their own tutor with them.

Scott & Karen

Others have confirmed that the Club HAL is open and staffed regardless of the number of children. Now, it appears hours may be limited, etc., if only a few are on board. I don't need individual babysitters, etc. I wear that hat, along with many others!! :D

I'd imagine world cruises perhaps are different but we contacted HAL about our upcoming 41 night cruise (Seattle to Auckland) and were told Club HAL would be open. I'm imagining our 5 and 8 year olds will be the only kids on that ship and Club HAL being open was a deciding factor in us booking so I hope they are open!

My understanding, too. Hours may be limited, etc., but it appears (from previous posters) that the club will be open. Have a wonderful journey!

Does anyone know, are Club HAL staff considered "crew" and assigned permanently to a ship, or are they brought on cruise by cruise according to the potential usage?

Roy

I believe the Club Hal staff are part of the Entertainment function. All of these folks, right up to the Cruise Director, are hired on a cruise by cruise, or several consecutive cruises, basis. The Club Hal staff will be assigned to other duties if there are not sufficient children to require their time. Library, excursions, bingo and trivia are typical of these other duties.

Scott & Karen

I believe the Club Hal staff are part of the Entertainment function. All of these folks, right up to the Cruise Director, are hired on a cruise by cruise, or several consecutive cruises, basis. The Club Hal staff will be assigned to other duties if there are not sufficient children to require their time. Library, excursions, bingo and trivia are typical of these other duties.

Scott & Karen

Actually , Club HAL staffers have degrees in education.

I am not sure in the case of one child on board what would happen ... But the "normal " Club HAL staffers have college degrees and experience working with children ( I am a teacher myself and spoke to on of the professionals on our last cruise).

• 3 months later...

I don't have exact details of HAL, but Princess Kids Club staffers told me that Princess looks at the rosters ahead of time, and assigns extra staffers based upon the number of children booked on an individual cruise. The previous cruise (New Years) had a lot more kids, and thus, a lot more staff.

I was on the Rotterdam last year with my 13 year old for 36 nights. She was the only young person aboard and had a great time. I had called HAL ahead of time and they told me she was the only young person booked on our segment. Club Hal was available to her anytime we paged them( I asked them not to wait for her in Club Hal during set hours as she tended to hang out more with the adults). They went out of their way to introduce her to the entertainment staff etc and even the Captain asked me at a cocktail party if she was having a good time and could they do anymore for her. I was very impressed. We invited the Club Hal staff to dine with us on our last night and this was a highlight for my daughter. OP enjoy your longer cruises with your daughter.

I was on the 75 day cruise this fall referenced earlier in the thread. Yes, for most of the cruise there was one teenage boy on board and one HAL club staffer. (Also, a few crew had their children on for a few segments). Since he was doing his own schoolwork most of the time, she helped with the adult activities on board. Later on here were two young boys on board (like nursery to kindergarden age). She still helped with many adult activities, don't know if she worked with the boys or not. She was a college degree teacher and very nice in my experiences with her.

You know, it's so true. When we're young, time really isn't much of an issue. However, with every passing day, I realize my time on this planet is finite. I guess mortality kind of snuck up on me and now it's staring back at me in the mirror. I want her to have these memories when I'm gone and she can remember some of the things she did with her Mom when she's an adult and has her own children. I also hope these travels open her eyes (so to speak) and make her more of a global thinker when she matures!

Love your outlook on life with your little girl.. My Mother became a single Mom when I was two.. I have no brothers or sisters.. Although we never travelled by air, or cruised, she took me everywhere with her when she was not working.. Every summer she took me up to Bear Mountain on a Ferry boat out of Manhattan & also to Steeplechase in Coney Island...We even travelled by train from New York City up to an Aunt's & Uncle's on the St. Lawrence river many times..

When I started working for an International Airline I took my Mom, who had never flown before to Europe.. One of our pilots spent almost an hour talking about Antiques with my Mom...He & his wife later became Mom's close Friends.. Mom did a lot of sacrificing for me.. I'll never forget those sacrifices & the fun times we had together.. Especially now that I'm a Grandma to three lovely girls & a Great-Grandma to four little ones, I can appreciate those times even more..

You can be sure that your little one will have wonderful memories when you are gone ,as I do of my fantastic Mom.. Have fun with her!! :):):)

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499