Protesters dive into Venice's canal to block cruise ships

RetiredMustang

Exactly, while I understand the downside of cruise ships and other visitors, the decline in Venice's population would sky rocket without them.

Read this to see the Financial and environmental cost to the area that was devastated by the Costa accident.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/1300919-costa-concordia-seagrass-italy-environment/

I had a business that was affected by the BP Oil Spill. Do not underestimate the amount of Financial damage that an environmental accident can cause.

This is not any kind of protest aimed at Americans. Many other nationalities are cruising on those ships and some of the cruise lines are Italian based.

It's concern about the future of their city and how best to preserve it, not some sort of "dig" at tourists.

This is pretty much my take on the issue. I did not give an opinion when I started the thread, but wanted to see what you all thought. Some observations:

1. There is NO WAY I would EVER jump in the water in Venice! I have been vaccinated for yellow fever, cholera, and probably even the galloping fantods, and once had malaria meds to take if I ever had to deploy on short notice to places where a mosquito bite was a sure ticket to sickness. And, I lived in Naples, where every bug ever heard of lives a life of Riley. But, I would NEVER jump into the water of Venice!

2. But, we first visited Venice in 1978, riding the Ferrovia dello Stato (Italian national railway), packing only backpacks, and staying at a pensione in Mestre, because that is what we could afford ... and loving every minute! Venice is magical! There is the history, and the art, and the simple experience of life in the city of the Doges. But, ... Venice is only so big, and 35,000 tourists in one day are overwhelming.

3. We have visited many times, each time enjoying it very much. We have had meals on side streets, and in top-line restaurants with a view of the Ponte Vecchia. But, ... Venice is only so big, and 35,000 tourists in one day are overwhelming.

4. About 12 years ago, we actually took a cruise from Venice, on the then brand-new Costa Atlantica (booked in Germany, with main PA announcements in about 6 languages, the primary being Italian; I spoke 4 of the 6, and the Italian was much more detailed.) We stayed that time also in Mestre, but at a 4-star hotel. The sailaway from Venice is one of my all-time favorite memories! I think this should be on your bucket list. But, ... Venice is only so big, and 35,000 tourists in one day are overwhelming.

5. There are no doubt many places nearby to have cruise ships dock without docking at the piers actually in Venice. But, these are industrial areas. Many ports are like this (Dublin, Marseille, etc.) and the cruise lines run shuttles. But ... and yet ... Venice is only so big, with only so many places where buses can discharge/pick up passengers, and 35,000 tourists in one day are overwhelming.

I don't know the answer. I remember Venice in a simpler time, when we and the world were younger; I want to go back to then. (But then, maybe it is Margaret I mourn for.) I just hope the Italians can work it out, to preserve that fabulous city, and graciously allow the rest of us to experience it, somehow.

Dave

We were in Venice for 2 nights pre-cruise last fall and thoroughly enjoyed the city, was indeed our fav. port in the 24 days that we cruised in the Meds. We returned for 2 more days onboard the NA as it was a collector cruise. We enjoyed the sail-in and sail-away, there was only 3 ships in port at those times. I cannot imaging having 12 ships in port on one day as the traffic would be horrendous. Perhaps Venice could try to control the number of ships it allows in the Canal on a daily basis. It would be a shame if one could not cruise in that port. It is incredible.

We have mixed emotions about the issue. Anyone who has cruised into or out of Venice (we have done this about a dozen times) knows how fantastic the experience can be. But the thought of large ships damaging this very fragile city is cause for concern.

But Italy has many related issues to resolve. There is only a single causeway that connect Venice to the Mainland and one can imagine the traffic problems that would be caused by 1,000 more tour buses bringing in cruisers. Having driven this road (we do a lot of driving trips in Italy) we think this might cause another huge controversy. Even if they only bus cruisers to Tronchetto Island the People Mover would not be capable of efficiently handling the large number of cruisers. So they still have to face how to move so many cruisers in and out of the city with few good options. They could follow Bermuda's example and limit the number of ships per day, but this would cause an economic hardship to many of the merchants in Venice. This all adds up to a major political dilemma, and traditionally Italy does not do a good job solving problems in an expeditious manner. Time will tell.

Hank

I just got an email from a friend traveling in Europe and when they were in Venice they counted 14! Cruise ships in one day(I think it had to be a turn day).

The cruise industry greatly affects the ports it visits in positive and negative ways. I remember while in Kona, Hawaii several locals complained bitterly that "cruise ship day" was their least favorite day and people who live in Hawaii usually don't complain about much. Kona is a small village/town and when the NCL ship calls it is over-run by 2000 plus tourist which kills the normal easy going vibe that locals expect to have.

I'm sure busy owners feel differently but they too need to make adjustments like having to staff more, skipping a lunch break, scheduling inventory...

-Paul

This is not any kind of protest aimed at Americans. Many other nationalities are cruising on those ships and some of the cruise lines are Italian based.

It's concern about the future of their city and how best to preserve it, not some sort of "dig" at tourists.

Well said.

Archived