STX France: Third, Fourth and Fifth Oasis

dub237

STX France is scheduled to cut the first steel for the third Oasis-class ship being built for Royal Caribbean International in Saint Nazaire on Monday, Sept. 22.

The Oasis-class ships can handle 5,400 passengers at double-occupancy and are 225,000 tons.

According to supplier reports, a fourth Oasis order will be confirmed by next summer, to be followed by a fifth.

Royal Caribbean entered into contract with STX France for a third Oasis-class vessel last December, with an option for another ship for delivery in mid-2018.

According to Royal Caribbean Cruises’ financial filings, the December agreement was conditional, and subject to closing conditions, and became effective early in 2013.

The second newbuild option (which would be Oasis four) will expire “five days prior to the first anniversary of the effective date of the contract

reported from http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com

It's hard to take a website seriously when there is a mistake on the date on the first three lines of the article... Monday will be September 23th not 22.

This is actually a very reputable site. So they made a typo. If you read RCI's website you find typos all the time and I consider them a legit company.;)

Edited by cruisingator2

• 2 months later...
It's hard to take a website seriously when there is a mistake on the date on the first three lines of the article... Monday will be September 23th not 22.

My calendar might be wrong--but my birthday is September 22 and it shows it on a Monday in 2014. Unless we're not talking about 2014?

Hope you didn't miss your cruises due to your faulty calendar. As others have pointed out, September 22, 2014 falls on a Monday, unless there is a widespread conspiracy by the calendar makers to spread disseminate information.;) An acknowledgement of your error might be in order.

For those poking fun at dates. You may want to take a look that this was posted back in September of 2013 originally. So they were basically referring to Monday Sept 23, 2013 as that is when the first piece of steal was officially cut for Oasis 3. It's very entertaining to watch people critic others mistakes while they are making mistakes themselves. LOL.

For those poking fun at dates. You may want to take a look that this was posted back in September of 2013 originally. So they were basically referring to Monday Sept 23, 2013 as that is when the first piece of steal was officially cut for Oasis 3. It's very entertaining to watch people critic others mistakes while they are making mistakes themselves. LOL.

Yes I think there should be a "using a Forum 101" course before being allowed to post on cruise critic. Between people not looking at dates, bumping old irrelevant threads, and people starting a new topic for every question they have, as a young person seeing how others think Cruise Critic should function is hilarious.

... and also in the news...

ABB wins $180 million in orders from cruise ship builders in 2013

http://www.abb.com/cawp/seitp202/fd52d897221dadf7c1257c39002f4dfa.aspx

Two of those ships are the Oasis 3 and likely the Quantum of the Seas.

One of the liners for Royal Caribbean International is the Oasis 3, due for delivery from STX France in the second quarter of 2016, equipped with three 20 MW Azipod XO units from ABB. The 225,282 gt, 5,400 passenger-capacity ship will also be equipped with ABB propulsion transformers, propulsion drives and remote control systems. The other, being built by Meyer Werft GmbH, will feature two 20,5 MW Azipod XO propulsion systems as well as generators, main switchboard, a remote control system, bow thruster motors and set of transformers. The ship will be delivered in April 2016.

Edited by Lloyd555

Aww...I knew I was missing something. I think I commented unless we weren't talking 2014. I normally do look at the original post date, but I missed it this time.

The date isn't really the relevant piece of this thread. Since it was my birthday it stuck out to me. Sorry for the confusion!

• 4 weeks later...
bumping old irrelevant threads, and people starting a new topic for every question they have,

And, that is one of the problems. When people start a new thread, they get criticized for not using "search" to find previous threads. When they use search and revive an old thread, they get criticized for that as well. No win situation. :(

Big news if true. It'll basically keep the yard in Saint Nazaire busy for the next 5 years.

I'm betting at least one of these new Oasis ships ends up in Asia.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Would they fit the Suez Canal, or would they have to go around Africa to get to Asia?