Why concierge?

BlancaNoir

Hi,

Can anyone give me some insight on choosing a concierge room? Assuming it is for a family balconey type room? The concierge room has snacks . . . does that mean that you can't usually find snacks (like on the buffet??). What else does a concierge do? I don't think were very high need except that we do have a child with autism. Not sure if the concierge would be any assistance on that part. I'm excited about our vacation and don't mind splurging once in a while but I can't figure out what you get for the cost when you have a concierge category room.

Thanks!

Blanca

Well you do get advance planning from 120 days, in fact if you email the shoreside concierge circa 150 days they will book your Palo, Remy, cabana, spa and shore trips for you. They can take your dinner rotation request and also your dinner table request, like table for four middle of room, or next to the Animators palate show TV.

Your first in line to get on the ship you do not need to book a port arrival time.

You have your own check in both.

On the ship you have the fabulous concierge lounge, with food 7am to 10pm, free soda in cans, and the best coffee machine ever seen.

You get three concierge hosts to help you.

You get 100 mins free Internet well it's refunded go your account.

There is a private concierge meet with a character.

You get gifts in your room, cakes and arcade cards for kids.

Only the royal suites get palo in there room but the others can order hot breakfast at limited hours, ( go to concierge lounge it's better)' and hot dinner from the main dinning restaurants. The normal fees for palo and Remy apply.

If you had a tender port you would get priority tendering but on the dream you will not have that.

You can get hard to get ressies like mixology classes and spa appointments, Remy brunch etc.

There are free booze hours say for the hour before dinner in the CL.

The CL is open on disembarkation morning and it's better to eat there and do not rush.

Use your hosts they can work some magic, they look after kids, you get small things like staterooms opening at 1pm normally it's another 30 mins.

Rooms have upgraded facilities like better shampoo range, and a TV in the bathroom mirror.

Large rooms, plush fittings, robes and slippers to use.

Kids can get DVDs to borrow and you can borrow IPads.

If you order a DVD kids will get something like a big bag of popcorn.

Also you have pillow talk programme a choice of four upgraded pillows to aid sleep.

scan0025.jpg

Well you do get advance planning from 120 days, in fact if you email the shoreside concierge circa 150 days they will book your Palo, Remy, cabana, spa and shore trips for you. They can take your dinner rotation request and also your dinner table request, like table for four middle of room, or next to the Animators palate show TV.

Your first in line to get on the ship you do not need to book a port arrival time.

You have your own check in both.

On the ship you have the fabulous concierge lounge, with food 7am to 10pm, free soda in cans, and the best coffee machine ever seen.

You get three concierge hosts to help you.

You get 100 mins free Internet well it's refunded go your account.

There is a private concierge meet with a character.

You get gifts in your room, cakes and arcade cards for kids.

Only the royal suites get palo in there room but the others can order hot breakfast at limited hours, ( go to concierge lounge it's better)' and hot dinner from the main dinning restaurants. The normal fees for palo and Remy apply.

If you had a tender port you would get priority tendering but on the dream you will not have that.

You can get hard to get ressies like mixology classes and spa appointments, Remy brunch etc.

There are free booze hours say for the hour before dinner in the CL.

The CL is open on disembarkation morning and it's better to eat there and do not rush.

Use your hosts they can work some magic, they look after kids, you get small things like staterooms opening at 1pm normally it's another 30 mins.

Rooms have upgraded facilities like better shampoo range, and a TV in the bathroom mirror.

Large rooms, plush fittings, robes and slippers to use.

Kids can get DVDs to borrow and you can borrow IPads.

If you order a DVD kids will get something like a big bag of popcorn.

Also you have pillow talk programme a choice of four upgraded pillows to aid sleep.

Excellent explanation but one addition. The Cat.V (Family Concierge) cannot order meals from the restaurants (breakfast, lunch or dinner). They can only order from the regular room service menu.

Uggh..I was hoping they'd change it from time to time.

They are different, I have Don Ducky, Alaska, Don Ducky Panama twice, Don Ducky Med, Don Ducky carribean, Don Ducky Baltic, etc etc.

Ps having cruised with Don Ducky a few times, he is a master of getting off first at castaway cay, and head of the buffet line!

We are cruising concierge on 10/24 because I'm a sucker for an extended balcony, and we got one on the bump-out at the front of the ship (I think it's 12008). So, if a large balcony is important to you, I'd take a look at the deck plans and see if there's one available. I showed DH a pic of that room's balcony that I found online and he made me book it. :D

I'm sure they could assist you with an austistic child, though most disney cast members are really good about helping or planning for kids with special needs. Concierge families automatically each get their own table for dinner, which might be helpful - I know sometimes sharing a table can be an issue for autistic individuals.

Disney Fantasy, thank you for posting that info sheet. Sad to see dessert is only until 10, as we have late dinner - I wonder if they'd leave some goodies for us in our room. :rolleyes: Hhmmmmmmm.....

We are cruising concierge on 10/24 because I'm a sucker for an extended balcony, and we got one on the bump-out at the front of the ship (I think it's 12008). So, if a large balcony is important to you, I'd take a look at the deck plans and see if there's one available. I showed DH a pic of that room's balcony that I found online and he made me book it. :D

I'm sure they could assist you with an austistic child, though most disney cast members are really good about helping or planning for kids with special needs. Concierge families automatically each get their own table for dinner, which might be helpful - I know sometimes sharing a table can be an issue for autistic individuals.

Disney Fantasy, thank you for posting that info sheet. Sad to see dessert is only until 10, as we have late dinner - I wonder if they'd leave some goodies for us in our room. :rolleyes: Hhmmmmmmm.....

They do close promptly at ten, you can run in and get some before it closes, gifts in room are limited as you have the CL to go to.

But what I say is ask, maybe they will lick some up for you, if you ask.

Room service can get cake of the day and for a suite service will be prompt, cove cafe also has late night cakes.

Deck 5 on the new ships offer some nice affordable extended verandas that rival the bumpouts of deck 11 and 12. Of course without the foofoo. :D

ETA; All the lithographs delivered are always done by the same artist IIRC, regardless of cabin deck and cat.

We always go concierge on Disney and I think it is worth every penny. As I said on another post, Disney's concierge service is lacking behind NCL and RCI on a few things but we still love it. We have never sailed non-concierge on any ship so I have a good comparison base. One note, we just got back from a 3 day on the Dream last weekend and had room 12504 and it had an A/C problem they could not fix. The room runs a little warm, not hot but it does not cool off as quickly or as cold as the other rooms we have had. Also the balcony on that room is small due to the curvature of the ship. We lost about 3 feet of balcony width so I would never choose that room or 12004 which I assume has the same deck. Also of the 3 concierge staff, Andy and Wensdae are the best! Both get 5+++ stars!

Room service can get cake of the day and for a suite service will be prompt, cove cafe also has late night cakes.

Thanks for the info! I'm on a really late schedule (bed at 3 a.m., up around 11, work noon - 9ish), so i generally want a midnight snack. :D

Deck 5 on the new ships offer some nice affordable extended verandas that rival the bumpouts of deck 11 and 12. Of course without the foofoo. :D

That's really good to know. We just found out we have to be back in orlando next summer for an event and were talking about maybe doing another cruise, but summer rates are insane - maybe a regular balcony would be enough cheaper than concierge to make me think about it, especially because we could book onboard and save 10%. it might be hard to give up the concierge service once we've experienced it, though.... ;)

In as nice as the perks are, it really boils down to how much are those extras worth to you? For instance, to us (family of 4) even with all the nice perks, going concierge is not worth paying 3-4x the price of a 5D or 4D. Specially, since the ships and the overall service on board is 5-star anyway.

If they ever add a perk we consider "game breaking" then, yes, we might consider forking over the $$$, but as it stands, there really isn't any incentive for us to splurge.

Is the amenties offered on concierge level the same on all the ships? We are sailing conciege on the Wonder in a few weeks.

No they are not.

The concierge lounge is only on the Dresm snd Fantasy.

Wonder ( I was on it with concierge last month) and Magic have two concierge hosts who come around snd knock on your foot, or ring the bell and see if there is anything you need. You get treats in room each day such as cup cakes, and you can ring them during the day.

No they are not.

The concierge lounge is only on the Dresm snd Fantasy.

Wonder ( I was on it with concierge last month) and Magic have two concierge hosts who come around snd knock on your foot, or ring the bell and see if there is anything you need. You get treats in room each day such as cup cakes, and you can ring them during the day.

When I was on the Dream last week, I spoke with a future cruise consultant and was told that the concierge set up happy hours (like they do in the concierge lounge on the Dream/Fantasy) at different locations on the Magic/Wonder. Is this not true?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I was on the Dream last week, I spoke with a future cruise consultant and was told that the concierge set up happy hours (like they do in the concierge lounge on the Dream/Fantasy) at different locations on the Magic/Wonder. Is this not true?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That was not the case on any of my older ship cruises and not offered last month in Alaska on the Wonder.

There is one concierge meet with free drinks that's it.

No happy hours they were wrong.

That was not the case on any of my older ship cruises and not offered last month in Alaska on the Wonder.

There is one concierge meet with free drinks that's it.

No happy hours they were wrong.

I guess it depends on the length of the cruise. On our 14 night cruises there were two concierge meets with complementary cocktails, snacks and a character visit.

No happy hours at this time but it doesn't mean it won't be introduced in some form on the "new" Magic.

I guess it depends on the length of the cruise. On our 14 night cruises there were two concierge with complementary cocktails, snacks and a character visit.

No happy hours at this time but it doesn't mean it won't be introduced in some form on the "new" Magic.

Agree, on my Panama and Baltic there were two meets but not happy hours.

New Magic lets wait and see, where have the hidden my new concierge lounge?

Thanks for all the tips and advice!! We booked! We did it! We are in a concierge family stateroom for an october 2014 cruise on Fantasy! All the advice on this board was very helpful. I was hoping to get one of the rooms with the extra deep balconies because of the bump out but they were booked already. 13 months in advance!?! That is crazy! But I'm glad we are booked and confirmed. I now have over a year to obsess over the cruise. :D Utimately we decided to get a concierge room because it was a nice luxury but not because it seemed like a "value." Having thought about it wayyyyy too much I decided it was not "worth the money" per se, but that I wanted to get one anyway. We have never been to Florida or the carribean and I don't think we will have another trip there anytime soon so I wanted to have a really over the top experience. My kids are at a good disney age (7 and 9) and my husband rarely takes time off for vacations. I liked the idea of popping into the concierge loiunge for morning coffee and fruit, and in the evening for a glass of wine before dinner. I'm a sucker for frou-frou snacks like fancy cheeses. I think the little touches like getting good seating for animators pallette with be fun for my kids. And it is our 15th wedding anniversary trip! Can't wait!!!

Thanks for all the tips and advice!! We booked! We did it! We are in a concierge family stateroom for an october 2014 cruise on Fantasy! All the advice on this board was very helpful. I was hoping to get one of the rooms with the extra deep balconies because of the bump out but they were booked already. 13 months in advance!?! That is crazy! But I'm glad we are booked and confirmed. I now have over a year to obsess over the cruise. :D Ultimately we decided to get a concierge room because it was a nice luxury but not because it seemed like a "value." Having thought about it wayyyyy too much I decided it was not "worth the money" per se, but that I wanted to get one anyway. We have never been to Florida or the Caribbean and I don't think we will have another trip there anytime soon so I wanted to have a really over the top experience. My kids are at a good Disney age (7 and 9) and my husband rarely takes time off for vacations. I liked the idea of popping into the concierge lounge for morning coffee and fruit, and in the evening for a glass of wine before dinner. I'm a sucker for frou-frou snacks like fancy cheeses. I think the little touches like getting good seating for animators palette with be fun for my kids. And it is our 15th wedding anniversary trip! Can't wait!!!

You will enjoy and yes there popular all suites are and sell out fast.

Congrats on booking. :D

Did you happen to book 10/25/14?

Bear,

We are booked on the 10/18/14 cruise! My kids are all about Castaway Cay (and the Aqua Duck on the ship.) but I wanted to see St. Maarten. We live a a beach resort town on the west coast so I was very interested in seeing some historical sites rather than just beaches. We have also cruised to mexico (west coast) so I chose the other option.

How can I possibly wait 13 months???

Blanca

Apparently we will just miss each other. Well we may see you getting off.

We did the Fantasy eastern last fall. Great cruise. Beautiful vessel. Very sea worthy too. We sent it thru "live occupied" sea trials in Sandy's wake. She cut thru the 30 foot seas like a true lady. She did moan some when slapped with 18 meters rogues though. :eek:

Waiting for your sail date is tough. I survive by reading trip reports and such.

Enjoy.

Archived