Cell Phones in Bahamas

piccinil

I spoke to a Verizon representative a few weeks ago and he stated that my Verizon Cell Phone could not be trusted in Bahamas at that time, not sure if signals are being stolen or something like that or what, but has anyone had bad expieriences using Verizon in Bahamas. I will be there in a few weeks.

Verizon is not reliable in the bahamas. Most phone, US or not.. are not reliable at this time. My Cingular GSM phone with a 1900 mhz band (this it the only band currently working in the bahamas) is supposed to work, but it only works for outgoing calls, and an occasional incoming.. Most calls are immediately placed in my mailbox. I don't get any service from my house, which is about 1/2 mile from Paradise Island Bridge.

In order for ANY phone to work, you must have international service. Calls run about $2.29 a minute.. plus the back billing from Batelco which is billed a few months down the line.. THat's another $2 a minute.. At nearly $5 a minute.. it's much cheaper to just get a calling card at port and use a pay phone.

Over the years, I've had several phones and services, my GSM is the only one that has given me any reception. Verizon was the worst.

My verizon phone did not work in the Bahamas. In fact we lost service somewhere off the Va/Carolina coast on the Sunday night we left. I agree with other posts--go to the Festival Place and buy yourself a phone card. They are $10, 20, 30 dollar cards. They even have people there telling you how to use them.

Karen

Archived