Disney California Coast Cruises?

Eytbol8

Anyone know if Disney is ever planning on bringing back the California Coast cruises or any roundtrip in Los Angeles? We did the California Coast roundtrip San Pedro last year and loved it as we live out here, but can no longer find any roundtrips out of here anymore with the exception of the 14-day panama one. Anymore know or have any insight. Flying somewhere else to take a cruise is out of the question due to my husbands disability and issues with flying so we are so limited! Thanks!!

It's not Disney, but a number of cruise lines do Mexican cruises out of San Pedro/Long Beach or San Diego. There are also wonderful 14 day Hawaiian cruises that I would highly recommend. Best way to see the Hawaiian islands ever!

Well you never know DCL pulled there cruises out of LA as Alaska sells better in summer, people are concerned about Mexico violence, and they have high demand for places to go in summer, and sailing out if LA is cool for the first day so not a winter cruise. With restrictions on size of ship and the cost if transistor of Panama Canal only one ship the wonder will go west coast in the next few years and DCL has a five year agreement with ports in Alaska, do the likelihood is low.

Oh I wish they would! We live in NorCal and flying to Florida adds so much $$$ to the cost of our vacations! I finally booked a 3 day cruise on Princess out of San Pedro, we'll give it a try.

Beth

Well not do on, only the Wonder can get through Panama now and when it goes through it will do end most of its time in Alaska where cruises sell out at a good price for them and expensive shore trips bring in a lot of $

They kept the ship here doing 7 day Mexican Riviera for a couple of years and then last year tried a few Pacific Coast cruises before heading back across the canal. I think they did it to help boost park attendance on the west coast while they were renovating DCA. If it had sold well, they would have kept Wonder here. High port fees are one reason few ships sail out of the LA area. Some lines have tried going out of San Diego or even San Francisco, but the revenue just isn't there. The only line left doing regular sailings from SoCal is Carnival.

I predict it will be several more years before they come back for any duration.

I hope they strengthen the Wonders hull in her dry dock next year if she is to continue doing the Alaska run.

If her hull is anything like the Magic's, there will be a lot of rust holes, let alone underwater dinks to repair.

ex techie

Strengthening a hull for ice ratings would require an insane amount of work including replating and increasing the size of th scantlings.

What rust holes did you see on the Magic?

Wonders quickie dry dock next year will not be anything like the current Magic dry dock.

Magic is a year older and this dry dock is circa six weeks long and had final plans in summer 2012, now yes they have stripped off all the paint on the Magic and she didn't look good in that state, but any metal will have some rust if it's in the sea all the time and gets bumps going into and out of dock.

They regularly re paint scratches on the ship in port.

Wonder can't have a duck tail fitted in that time, this dry dock wasn't planned until a few weeks back.

Wonder will sail Alaska for a number of seasons to come and will not fit the Panama Canal until the new locks are open if the duck tail is fitted.

Wonder is just getting its normal hull inspection and quickie re paint this time, do not expect any thing too major.

I think in the scheme of things seeing the magic striped of paint in dry dock, saying seeing rust holes is a bit if an exaggeration. There will be bits as said, but natural for a ship of this age

Strengthening a hull for ice ratings would require an insane amount of work including replating and increasing the size of th scantlings.

What rust holes did you see on the Magic?

Hi Mick,

I have no idea what it would take to strengthen the bow of the hull, but you would think it would be prudent for her if she is going to visit icy waters each year as it will obviously have an impact on the metal.

As for the rust hole, during the 2003 dry dock I saw a large (8 foot x 6 foot maybe) rusted out hole in the hull being cut out and a new panel being installed.

I was told by one of the engineers that the Magic and Wonder were built at DCL's price, and one of the ways the shipyard was able to do so was to use steel that was absolutely sufficient and proper, but not of the best quality available.

I wonder if that was a factor in why DCL opted to go to Meyer Weft instead of Fincantiari for the Dream and Fantasy as both ships were planned so far in advance that either yard would have had openings in the schedule to accom?

ex techie

I think in the scheme of things seeing the magic striped of paint in dry dock, saying seeing rust holes is a bit if an exaggeration. There will be bits as said, but natural for a ship of this age

Disney Fantasy,

I wasn't refering to the Magic's current dry dock, but in '03.

May I ask how many dry docks you have experienced?

ex techie

Anyone know if Disney is ever planning on bringing back the California Coast cruises or any roundtrip in Los Angeles? We did the California Coast roundtrip San Pedro last year and loved it as we live out here, but can no longer find any roundtrips out of here anymore with the exception of the 14-day panama one. Anymore know or have any insight. Flying somewhere else to take a cruise is out of the question due to my husbands disability and issues with flying so we are so limited! Thanks!!

Would your husband be able to handle a train trip? We did the LA to Vancouver repo this past year and it was great. I know in the past some did Amtrak to/from Vancouver/LA. If that's an option you could look at the repos on either end of the Alaska season.

Would your husband be able to handle a train trip? We did the LA to Vancouver repo this past year and it was great. I know in the past some did Amtrak to/from Vancouver/LA. If that's an option you could look at the repos on either end of the Alaska season.

Repos may be the way to go, with Winder being the only ship that can get to the west coast and Alaska selling very well, there is little option for anything else.

Hi Mick,

I have no idea what it would take to strengthen the bow of the hull, but you would think it would be prudent for her if she is going to visit icy waters each year as it will obviously have an impact on the metal.

As for the rust hole, during the 2003 dry dock I saw a large (8 foot x 6 foot maybe) rusted out hole in the hull being cut out and a new panel being installed.

I was told by one of the engineers that the Magic and Wonder were built at DCL's price, and one of the ways the shipyard was able to do so was to use steel that was absolutely sufficient and proper, but not of the best quality available.

I wonder if that was a factor in why DCL opted to go to Meyer Weft instead of Fincantiari for the Dream and Fantasy as both ships were planned so far in advance that either yard would have had openings in the schedule to accom?

ex techie

That happens. In drydock, techs take thousands of measurements of the plating thickness and if a section is out of spec or if there's localized electrolytic pitting, they'll cut it out and replate. It's not what I would call a rust hole.

All ships can withstand some amount of new ice on the water. Hulls are ice rated and if the ice in an area exceeds or is expected to exceed the hull rating, they simply don't go there.

DCL went to Meyer officially because of scheduling. However, the Magic was delivered by Fincantieti about 10 weeks late and with much difficulty. I remember seeing a quote from a shipyard manager complaining that Disney, in their inexperience with ships, demanded that the ship be built exactly to plan and spec. I kid you not. They had to go back and do tons of work such as adding more pipe hangers and refinishing acres of paint.

That happens. In drydock, techs take thousands of measurements of the plating thickness and if a section is out of spec or if there's localized electrolytic pitting, they'll cut it out and replate. It's not what I would call a rust hole.

All ships can withstand some amount of new ice on the water. Hulls are ice rated and if the ice in an area exceeds or is expected to exceed the hull rating, they simply don't go there.

DCL went to Meyer officially because of scheduling. However, the Magic was delivered by Fincantieti about 10 weeks late and with much difficulty. I remember seeing a quote from a shipyard manager complaining that Disney, in their inexperience with ships, demanded that the ship be built exactly to plan and spec. I kid you not. They had to go back and do tons of work such as adding more pipe hangers and refinishing acres of paint.

I think you are 100 % correct on all of that! can't out it better myself.

Ships if that age will have a bit if wear and tear, nothing to get too worked up about, and that's what dry dock is for, if the wear and tear is a bit more than they are happy with cut it out and replace.

I sailed Alaska yes there is a lille bit of ice there but it's not the titanic! It's very small bits of ice, not what you could really call icebergs, it will have no effect on the ship.

Funny with all the ice melting its 1 clean water and 2 less salt, and 3 calm waters, I would say that's good for the Wonder not bad!

Mick you must have misunderstood what I was saying.

There was a hole 8x5' rusted away, and they were cutting around it to replace it. Cheap steel.

As for the Magic being late, maybe the two halves coming together delayed things? If I'm correct, the Wonder was on time?

ex techie.

Archived