Dry Tortugas accomadations

curlymason

Hi all - I've been reading about Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas and was wondering if anyone had recommendations of places to stay in the Keys that would be convenient for going on this trip. I wasn't sure if there was anywhere closer to stay than Key West (are there places to stay in Dry Tortugas or is the fort the only thing there?). Also, anyone who has done this trip, I would love to hear from you - we're exploring the possibility of making this a pre-cruise trip for a couple of days. Thoughts are appreciated!

Heather

The Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson is a DAY TRIP from Key West. The importance of the island is that there is nothing there. Don't miss it as it's incredible!

You can camp if you bring along a tent and plenty of food and water. There's nothing there to purchase so be sure that you've brought along enough provisions. One of these years we're going to camp there. We always camp at Bahia Honda State Park about 30 from Key West.

Here is a link to camping reservations (this is just for transportation over to the Fort). I believe once you disemark, you pay the Ranger $5 a day.

http://www.yankeefreedom.com/camping.asp

Here's more information about Dry Tortugas and camping:

http://www.dry.tortugas.national-park.com/camping.htm

Archived