Are Thomson planning on adding more ships?

Can anyone tell me if Thomson have indicated that they have any plans to add more ships to their fleet?

I was reading that Costa are to sell or lay up two of their ships which they have acquired through company acquisitions. These are likely to be Costa Voyager and the current Grand Mistral which were both part of Iberocruceros (Grand Mistral was due to transfer to Costa later this year).

It made me wonder if Thomson would have interest in Grand Mistral for their fleet? I would think Costa Voyager is probably too small but I could be wrong. Grand Mistral would be ideally suited though.

Yes, I read that as well. Voyager is small but modern, and has been up for sale for some time. She could potentially fit in the fleet to run Red Sea cruises, which thomson have struggled to fill in recent years, although current events in Egypt make that unlikely. That coupled with the length of time she has been up for sale for makes me doubt that Voyager would join the fleet, which is a shame because I am one of the few people that enjoyed Boat Trip!

Grand Mistral, not sure. I personally don't like the looks of her, but it is the sort of ship that Ellacott seems to like. Given that Thomson currently lease a ship from Costa, it must be a possibility (although a poor choice) as a replacement for Spirit?

Yes, I read that as well. Voyager is small but modern, and has been up for sale for some time. She could potentially fit in the fleet to run Red Sea cruises, which thomson have struggled to fill in recent years, although current events in Egypt make that unlikely. That coupled with the length of time she has been up for sale for makes me doubt that Voyager would join the fleet, which is a shame because I am one of the few people that enjoyed Boat Trip!

Grand Mistral, not sure. I personally don't like the looks of her, but it is the sort of ship that Ellacott seems to like. Given that Thomson currently lease a ship from Costa, it must be a possibility (although a poor choice) as a replacement for Spirit?

Grand Mistral would be able to take over the ex-UK cruises no problem. She fits through the dock gates at Leith too. I know because I watched her do it this summer. She must be one of the largest ships to have berthed at Leith.

Grand Mistral would be able to take over the ex-UK cruises no problem. She fits through the dock gates at Leith too. I know because I watched her do it this summer. She must be one of the largest ships to have berthed at Leith.

And she does have those all important, revenue increasing balconies that people seem to want.

I wondered about Mistral when I read this yesterday. With them already leasing a Costa ship, it would make sense, plus it would seem Thomson might be looking for a replacement ship from 2015.

However, I've had a look at the ship, and I'm not sure if it would really fit in the fleet well. More Majesty style rather than the ex-HAL ships.

I agree. Would rather see an ex-HAL or Celebrity ship join the fleet as a replacement.

It is reported that TUI, Thomsons parent company, is replacing Mein Schiff 2 with another ship next June.

At 77000 tons she is much bigger than any of the Thomson fleet but a much newer ship, Perhaps...........

Where have you heard this from? I did notice that MS2 had been scheduled to dock in Palma for 2015, but perhaps they have changed there minds.

Was it from this:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130929/local/mein-schiff-3.488295

TUI Cruises are replacing MS2 for MS3 for its Malta cruises next year but are relocating the ship to Northern Europe. It will then sail 10 night itineraries from Palma in 2015, so unfortunately it won't be coming to Thomson. :(

I doubt TUI will offload any of its ship anytime soon as the cruise market in Germany is booming, and the added brand new tonnage they're receiving will be additions to their fleet. Perhaps if a decision on a third new build is announced, they might start to offload Mein Schiff 1 & 2, but it will all depend on Royal Caribbean. Chances are they will just deploy them to various areas in its business.

Apparently it is Grand Holiday that is leaving Carnival. Built in 1985! Please Thomson, don't bother. Thank you. :D

Certainly not to my taste either, you can definitely tell which line it previously sailed for with the decor. Perhaps if Island Escape needs replacing though, although age is also against Holiday?

Working for a well known cruise-parking co in so,ton, to -day. working on oriana spoke to a couple of passenger,s who have heard from good report,s oriana,s up for sale would it fit in to thomson,s fleet ie THE THOMSON SUNSHINE

I queried about the possibility of Oriana going to Thomson a few months back, as rumours did begin about it possibly leaving P&O once their new build Britannia starts sailing. Built in 1995, so would fit Fraser's idea of modernisation, and at 69,000 GT slightly larger than Dream, but still small enough I believe for the Thomson product to work well. Only issue is would Carnival/P&O want to give a ship to a direct competitor? British cruisers who like Oriana could swap to Thomson if the ship moved.

Did the reports say that it could be going to Thomson, or just that it is up for sale?

Working for a well known cruise-parking co in so,ton, to -day. working on oriana spoke to a couple of passenger,s who have heard from good report,s oriana,s up for sale would it fit in to thomson,s fleet ie THE THOMSON SUNSHINE

That's an interesting bit of info so,ton saint. I know Oriana is one of their older ships but we have friends who rate it as their favorite P&O ship - I think because they like the size. They have been on most of them I think including the big ones. Might be a suitable addition - like your name for her too.:)

Archived