Fascination "Alpha Team" Code 2am

PDsandman01

This morning (Tuesday 9/26) just before 2am on the Carnival Fascination, we were awakened by the bridge calling code "Alpha team." Minutes later, again the bridge called "Alpha Team, Engine control room staging area" and many other things I believe were in Italian that we couldn't understand. At no point was there an emergency alarm or were anyone called to the muster stations.

This was heard in all guests rooms. At the time we were pretty nervous to say the least, because no drill would be conducted at 2am. Later this morning while leaving the ship I asked our stateroom steward about a fire and he surprisingly he confirmed that "the crew had a long night...there was a small fire in the engine room."

According to the ship's channel on TV, at no time was our course altered or our speed changed. We were only about two hours from the pilot station in Jacksonville at the time.

I am sharing this simply to pass on my experience and to encourage LISTENING at the muster drill. After 14 cruises, we are well versed in the procedure but saw many first time cruisers who didn't give the drill much thought. This drill, again folks, is for our benefit! Take it seriously. It could really happen anywhere...anytime. I can't help but think that some people, through their own fault, would be clueless about what to do if we were mustered.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a small fire anywhere at sea but, I don't want this to be blown out of proportion or become a sensational journalism report.

In no way am I posting this to accuse, condemn, or condone Carnival Cruise Lines. I just wanted to post our experience as is what I believe is the purpose of these message boards. I debated the entire drive home on whether or not to post this because of the reaction it may get, however, I have decided to share. I will post a trip report later on our great trip!

I know now that at no time were the guests, ship, or crew in any danger.

Ironically, we watched an "Alpha Team" drill while in Nassau followed by a full crew, simulated "general emergency" alarm. We kind of knew what "Alpha team" was fire because of this drill.

It is a wake up call for us seasoned cruisers. We always think it will never happen to us. We pay attention at the muster drill. We have many passengers who take it litely.

YES, a wake up call in more ways than one. Never expected to wake up to this. Didn't know what was going on. Couldn't help but think that we could hear the alarm and be boarding life boats at any time...especially having no clue what was going on down below. Then getting confirmation that it was a fire was kind of spooky.

Looks like she was about 1.5 hours late leaving today from JAXPORT. Hopefully it wasn't related.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?...wonder how rare/common it may be.

I am not going to lie, but this and the issues with Triumph, Splendor, Concordia have me a little concerned as they probably do with others. I can't be the only one.

I am not going to cancel my cruise but it seems as though more of these things are happening and all we can do is make sure we pay attention to the drills.

Sent from my LG-MS695 using Forums mobile app

I am not going to lie, but this and the issues with Triumph, Splendor, Concordia have me a little concerned as they probably do with others. I can't be the only one.

I am not going to cancel my cruise but it seems as though more of these things are happening and all we can do is make sure we pay attention to the drills.

You are right...you're not the only one...we have 30 plus cruises but after all that has happened we sat down and discussed certain things we would do...like getting out of the cabin...always carrying a small flashlight with us...we each have one in our toiletry bags. Another thing as we get older our mobility is not as good...thinking about having to do a lot of stairs or worse is daunting....but we will continue to cruise because we love it and hope and pray no problems while we are at sea.

This happens all of the time. My buddy was on the Adventure of the Seas several years ago when a small fire broke out. He talked to one of the crew. He would have not even known about the fire because the crew did not emphasize it

Good post and important reminder...drives me nuts when people chat and ignore the safety instructions. There is a reason they do it...the crew have exercises all the time...they know what to do...we wont if we don't pay attention. Big pet peeved of mine...same for on planes. Thanks for the reminder.

We had an Alpha alert during our first sea day on the Paradise last year....never saw the crew move so fast! They closed off the access to cabins with those steel doors ...this was at 11:30am and the captain came on at noon and said there was a fire in a dishwasher and all was okay..doors were reopened and all was back to normal..the crew really knew what to do and acted quickly!

Good post and important reminder...drives me nuts when people chat and ignore the safety instructions. There is a reason they do it...the crew have exercises all the time...they know what to do...we wont if we don't pay attention. Big pet peeved of mine...same for on planes. Thanks for the reminder.

I have attended ever muster drill and paid attention, all 8 of them on several lines, and I have learned nothing.

Can someone explain to me what YOU are learning?

I already know how to stand in a line and how to put a life jacket on.

I have decided after my last one, it is a training exercise for the crew on how to herd people.

With that in mind we do our own safety breifing. Such as do not return to the room for anything in the event of an emergency. I write our muster station on our sail and sign card. (several times, it gets rubbed off) We visit our muster station at least once a day so we know for sure where it is. We discuss meet up point in case we can not get to our muster station. My main stress is to get somewhere outside. I try to think of practical things because I know first hand, people forget everything in a real emergency.

I was beginning to suspect I was overdoing things, but after this post, I guess we will continue.

PDsandman01,

Many thanks for posting your experience! Thankfully, the situation turned out well for all aboard the Fascination.

Such information is of value to the novice cruiser as well as to those of us who have had much water pass under our keel. Drills are held to review procedures and remind all of what needs to be done in an emergency situation. Maybe one does not learn much new at a muster drill if one has been through it many times before, but everyone's memory needs to be refreshed. At least in Ohio, schools are required to have a monthly fire/tornado drill. Their purpose: keep these potential life-saving steps foremost in one's mind--child or adult.

I have been the "fly on the wall" on more than one occasion listening and watching to crew drills. I have been impressed by what the officers expect the crew to know and how the crew responds to questions posed to each individual. On the Eurodam just this month, I watched a safety demonstration narrated by the Second Officer in charge of Safety and involving some of the Cadets and Fourth Officers. Speaking with one of the Cadets after the demonstration was over, he admitted he had alot to learn. But, from what I saw, all involved in the demonstration were quite competent.

Guests are taking the muster drills more seriously. The conversations and laughter are things of the past, mostly.

And, you are right: in an Alpha Situation, which I have observed, the crew move fast!

I feel safer at sea than I do in my own home.

The call for "alpha team" inside the cabins IS the most scary thing that can happen, in my opinion. I was on the Triumph when we had the engine fire and the call was approx. 5 am.

I am glad there was not a larger issue this time and I wholeheartedly agree that the safety drills are critical!

I'm sailing this Sunday on the Freedom and hope we have smooth sailing! :)

Archived