Mike & Tracy’s continuing adventures: B2B on Carnival Liberty & Carnival Breeze

MikeyA53

Altos de Chavon is a re-creation of a 16th century southern European village. It was the idea of the late Charles Bluedorn, then the immensely wealthy president of Gulf & Western Corporation. It is said he had it built as an extravagant birthday present for his daughter. The village was constructed under the direction of Italian film set designer Roberto Copa, who had worked for Paramount Pictures. The village was built by local masons and builders between 1976 and 1982.

DSC_01133_zps1ad08775.jpg

DSC_01143_zpsced3c05f.jpg

DSC_01153_zps92ab4a31.jpg

DSC_01163_zpsc8676aab.jpg

St. Stanislaus Church

DSC_01173_zps68c4beb8.jpg

DSC_01183_zps975fae16.jpg

The village’s spectacular 5,000 seat open air amphitheater. Since its debut in 1992 by Frank Sinatra and Carlos Santana, the theater has featured renowned artists as Gloria Estefan, Julio Iglesias and Air Supply.

DSC_01433_zpsae61273f.jpg

DSC_01443_zpsd7322a03.jpg

DSC_01453_zpse1bd8303.jpg

DSC_01473_zpsb184a809.jpg

DSC_01483_zps66174b82.jpg

DSC_01493_zps3f6f3dd7.jpg

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to thank you for taking time to write this detailed review. It's awesome, and I love all the pics of the ship! (Although I have to admit, I skipped right to the Breeze portion of it!).

We have not cruised with Carnival in some time, and it makes me excited for our upcoming Christmas week on the Breeze.

Question about Altos de Chavon. Did you book this with the ship? Or are there independent tours when you walk off the ship? I think we are doing the Saona beach excursion this day, but my parents may be interested in Altos de Chavon. My dad really should be on oxygen and will only wear it at night. For the most part, when you first arrive there, is it level? He would be OK with staying on that level and not exploring stairways. Are there any ramps you need to walk up? Thanks so much. Also noticed wheel chairs lined up when you first got off the ship, this may be helpful, but I can already hear him saying he's not getting in one!

This is the best review I've seen on CC. It took awhile to get through it but you're doing a great job! I was on the Breeze twice and going again in the spring and loved it. And you made me feel like I've already been on the Liberty even though I'm not sailing until January. lol

Coming from another Atlantic Canadian :)

Thanks for the complement. I hope to return on Breeze some day soon. :)

I love reading your review. Thank you for taking the time doing this for us to read. I never did a Miami cruise and love viewing the awesome pictures of the port! 70+ more days and I will be on a cruise. ;)

Thank you, hope the wait goes by fast. :D

I am more of a lurker on these boards but I was so excited to see you and your family doing another B2B. I think your family and your reviews are first class and wouldn't change a thing! Carnival should pay you! We will be looking into doing a Breeze cruise thanks to you!

Thank you. You can't go wrong with a cruise on Breeze. :D

Haha...my first thought when I saw the picture "in question" was...Arielle is going to be mad at Dad. Well, if she's not, everyone on here should calm down or skip the pictures. Personally, I have REALLY enjoyed all the pictures. We are going on Liberty next and just got off Breeze. Plus I'm a foodie and excursion addict so this is the BEST review since GAPearl finished hers. Even my 3 yr old grand daughter has enjoyed the pictures, especially the waterworks. She keeps saying, My want to go on that!

Thanks Mike for taking the time.

Well you can't disappoint your grand daughter can you. :D

I've read that getting taxi's in DR for non-ship sponsored excursions can be problematic. Did you run into any issue getting your shuttle to Altos de Chavon? Did you head out fairly soon after docking and how long were you gone for.

We left about an hour after we docked. After that all I remember is that we paid $7 each (return). Got on our shuttle, spent about 3 hours at Altos de Chavon and when we were done, hopped on one waiting in the lot and returned to port. No hassle.

Edited by MikeyA53

I want that house on the corner with the swimming pool. I did notice the people waving to the ship.

So did you see land cruising from Miami besides your ports?

We did see a lot of land besides the port however I'm not sure if it was on Liberty or Breeze or both. :confused:

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to thank you for taking time to write this detailed review. It's awesome, and I love all the pics of the ship! (Although I have to admit, I skipped right to the Breeze portion of it!).

Thank you

We have not cruised with Carnival in some time, and it makes me excited for our upcoming Christmas week on the Breeze.

Question about Altos de Chavon. Did you book this with the ship? Or are there independent tours when you walk off the ship?

Independent. Altos de Chavon is free of charge. The shuttle was $7 return. Carnival doesn't have any cheap or free excursions.

I think we are doing the Saona beach excursion this day, but my parents may be interested in Altos de Chavon. My dad really should be on oxygen and will only wear it at night. For the most part, when you first arrive there, is it level? He would be OK with staying on that level and not exploring stairways. Are there any ramps you need to walk up? Thanks so much. Also noticed wheel chairs lined up when you first got off the ship, this may be helpful, but I can already hear him saying he's not getting in one!

Yes it's fairly flat other than the Amphitheater and I'm sure he would not be going up and down the stairs.