Haitian Cultural Tour on Labadee

bay guy

Can anyone give me any feedback on this tour? Is it interesting and informative or just an extended "try to sell you souvenirs" type tour.

Also, how strenuous is the walk through the areas covered and does the water taxi dock at a pier of some sort?

I took that excursion 2 or 3 years ago. It was fairly interesting, but there were many mentions of the poverty and poor living conditions of the employees, and a lot of opportunities to make purchases. There were some narrow pathways, uneven surfaces, etc. I don't regret the tour, but wouldn't do it a second time.

This is what I wrote shortly after we did this excursion a few years ago...this is just my opinion.

We just did this tour last week and yes, it is staged. In fact, it isn't really a "village". There are stations where a person is demonstrating a trade. We were uncomfortable with this tour as we felt that the participants were somewhat exploited. In fact, we questioned the tour operator and asked if they were compensated and he informed us that they were paid $10 a day and that there were 27 Haitians on the payroll.

As you progress through the stations, you will have an opportunity to purchase their wares or tip them.

I see that others have greatly enjoyed this excursion but honestly, I cannot recommend this tour. For me this is a first.

Hubby took the Labadee cultural tour about ten years ago. There were no shopping opportunities then on the tour, but the guide did talk about the poverty in Haiti. He said how highly local Haitians value the jobs at Labadee and how much it means to work for Royal Caribbean. He said Royal does a lot for the local economy amd gives a lot to local charities. He said Haitian workers at Labadee earn more than doctors and lawyers in the region and it is very competitive to get a job at Labadee.

While Hubby enjoyed the tour, he has not chosen to repeat it feeling he learned enough that one time. Hubby is in good physical condition for a retiree, but he did not find the tour strenuous, just very hot.

Archived