Is it worth it to use a TA anymore?

[quote name='WendyinOC']I know my grandmother sold her travel agency because the money is not happening anymore. I think RCCL wants all the profits. It will just be like when Airlines started to give out their 800 #. The same as banks sending you out to the ATM instead of a teller. Heck my grocery store now has a self service check out line and I think its faster. If you educate the public they can do it themselves.[/QUOTE]

Well, by the time I'm a grandmother, I hope to be relaxing and cruising full-time rather than working!

Just want to throw this into the mix -- the travel industry and travel agents have had 2 of the best years in a row that they've had since years before 9/11. So, maybe on this thread or in this particular group of internet-savvy cruise-groupies (I put myself in that group so it's not meant as a nasty term), maybe you don't need the professional services of a TA. However, SOMEBODY is booking travel through us. The numbers don't lie. It's a great time for our industry. Yes, our business model has changed, but we're not only surviving, we're thriving. What we need more than anything else is more hours in the day, more people to answer the phones, and more time to book the business that is coming through our doors.

Can you book travel on your own without using a TA? Sure. There's a lot of things that I can do on my own that I prefer to pay someone else to do. I can change the oil in my car -- I'd rather pay someone. I can teach myself a foreign language--I'd rather pay an instructor. I can do all my own investments -- I like having a broker to concur with even though I'm knowledgeable on the subject.

Keep in mind too, that often the clientele that use a TA are often too busy with their own jobs/lives to spend hours pouring over the computer (not everybody gets the same rush out of doing it that those of us who post here do). For example, if you're a doctor or a lawyer or a business owner or even a busy stay-at-home mom, isn't your time better spent doing YOUR job rather than trying to do MY job?

Gee, and I was just going to say why would anyone want to be a T/A today? I have gotten the impression it's a "dying breed" as another poster put it. Plus it seems like it's very cut throat with the cruiselines looking to cut you out (and the airlines already have). The clients seem willing to research through you but if someone else is $10 cheaper they will drop you for them in a heartbeat and not care about any resource you have provided. Although it seems you are handy when a hurricane is around.

This will be our first cruise and had never used a TA before and got info from a co-worker about a TA that he uses and I will never stop using him. I had called around to some of the cruise lines and felt pressured to book right then but with him he sent info out and we talked for about 3 weeks till we had decided what would be a good cruise for us. We decided on a 7 night western carribean on the Explore of the Seas and got a corner aft balcony cabin from which I have read on here is a good choice so if anyone is in need of a good Ta look up Rick Piontek of First Choice Cruises his number is 877-867-2452

And DD says, "Just want to throw this into the mix -- the travel industry and travel agents have had 2 of the best years in a row that they've had since years before 9/11." I just read on another board that the CLIA reports bookings by affiliated travel agencies (excluding most internet agencies) are down 25% from 2000. Bookings by non-affiliated agencies are up 130% from 2000 and bookings direct with cruise lines is up 110%. Doesn't seem to wash, DD, unless of course you are with one of those low-budget, out of your basement, internet travel agencies that isn't CLIA certified. Or unless you're trying desperately to convince this audience that you aren't a dying breed but you know you really are.

I'll give you a good reason given everything else even to NOT use a TA - I believe the opposite of what's been posted here by the TA's - if you have trouble with a booking and have booked direct with the cruise line; they will respond quicker and more decisively that working it back to them thru the travel agent. Once they get you as a customer, they want to keep you - it's more profitable that way and that will be the way of the future for all of them.

Peter

Peter, CLIA's website ([url]www.cruising.org[/url]) notes the following regarding travel agent partners of CLIA's member lines:

"As the cruise lines continue to attract more and more consumers through non-stop innovation and new onboard options, CLIA-member agencies also continue to play a key role, providing today's consumers with the latest cruise product information and unmatched counsel and sales expertise," Dale added. "

I too could quote statistics to back up my previous post or I wouldn't have posted it. However, I do not wish to turn this thread into a statistical debate so perhaps we can agree to disagree. Wishing you smooth seas & happy travels.

I use a BIG internet travel agent. We are very pleased with their service. :D
I never saved a dime using a local travel agent. They always offered the same prices I could have gotten booking directly from the cruise line.

Archived