Ship time or Island Time?

rhinomike

We will be on the Sunshine in December. I am trying to book private shore excursions. We depart from New Orleans. The itinenary states we will arrive in Jamaica at 9am. Is that New Orleans time (boat time) or Jamaica time? Does the boat stay on its departure port time or does it change with each port.

Sorry if this is a dumb question as I have sailed over 30 times..... But I just can't remember. Brain fart.

There is never a dump question...Well unless you don't ask.

You will always be on ships time, which is generally the time zone you sail out of. In this case you should be on central US time.

Not always true. We sailed to the Bahamas from Galveston and ship time changed from Central to Eastern...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to figure out the correct time o book my excursions. Maybe the tour guide will know.

It is highly likely that this one will stay on Central Time the whole time. Jamaica will be one hour later than Central Time at the time of year that you are there. I cannot imagine them switching times for Jamaica & GC, only to switch it back again for Cozumel. If all ports were an hour later, then it's possible that it could change. I did a 4-port cruise in which 2 were one hour earlier and 2 were 2 hours earlier, and the ship never changed ship time. But there have been some scattered reports of Carnival ships changing times lately. I think they do it only to throw us off who are booking our own excursions.

Because Jamaica doesn't observe daylight savings time, they are at the same time as Central Time right now, but won't be in November when we "fall back". Your tour guide should know when the ship is arriving, but you should still get confirmation from them that they know of the difference in time, and that they will adjust if the ship makes a time change.

Archived