Looking for a place to rent (3 days) before our cruise from Miami.

mmommy

I've been spending countless hours searching for hotels and rental places for 3 days before we leave for our cruise in Jan 2014. With 2 small kids, we are finding it really hard.

Looking for something with a kitchen

Not in a bad / high crime area

We fly into Fort Lauderdale and port in Miami ( Carnival Breeze). We are looking for a car to rent as well and hoping to grab it in Fort Lauderdale and returning it to Miami (free exchange to boat).

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I am coming in two days prior to our cruise out of FLL in March and was looking for the same. I ended up booking the Staybridge Suites in Plantation. I booked a two bedroom suite (1 queen and two doubles and two baths) for the four of us. The room also has a kitchen, eating area and living room = three TV's). The AAA/CAA rate was $176 per night (breakfast included and free laundry).

It is about 10 minutes from FLL airport but close to shopping and not far from Sawgrass Mills. If you have a car it might be OK for you.

I haven't stayed here before but the reviews are mostly good and it is supposed to be a good area so it might be an option.

BTW - I was looking at rental homes too but most want a cleaning fee of a few hundred on top of the rental rate.

What type things are you wanting to do in Miami?

We've stayed in a 2 bedroom condo at the Doubletree Grand Biscayne Bay. Huge place with kitchen, washer/dryer, balcony, and views of Biscayne Bay. It's not right on the beach, but a relatively safe area downtown. There's a Publix grocery store within walking distance, and several restaurants in the building as well. Nice views of the port and you can also take the people mover free to Bayside Marketplace. Parking would be expensive but most spots in downtown Miami run in the $35 a night range. Drive to south beach would be about 15 minutes and it's a $8 cab ride to the port on cruise morning.

In May 2014 we will actually be staying just north of Miami in Hollywood FL at the Walkabout Beach Resort. We hear it is a little quieter, but it is right on the beach! There are only 8 rooms in the hotel and each has a kitchen and living room. We have a group of 11 (2 families) and 5 of those are kids (well college age kids), but it looks like it will work out great space wise and price wise! It has amazing reviews and looks beautiful! I would suggest to check it out. We were hotel searching for a month before we ever heard of it and we are so glad we did! Plus it is on the water taxi route so it has easy access to Miami beaches too.

In May 2014 we will actually be staying just north of Miami in Hollywood FL at the Walkabout Beach Resort. We hear it is a little quieter, but it is right on the beach! There are only 8 rooms in the hotel and each has a kitchen and living room. We have a group of 11 (2 families) and 5 of those are kids (well college age kids), but it looks like it will work out great space wise and price wise! It has amazing reviews and looks beautiful! I would suggest to check it out. We were hotel searching for a month before we ever heard of it and we are so glad we did! Plus it is on the water taxi route so it has easy access to Miami beaches too.

I don't know this resort but would be Leary recommending it if you have not stayed there. Hollywood can be very low rent and trashy with crime ridden pockets. Unless you have first hand experience or it is a member of Small Superior Lodgings, buyer beware. I love Hollywood but it has really gone downhill. It's such a shame.

I've been spending countless hours searching for hotels and rental places for 3 days before we leave for our cruise in Jan 2014. With 2 small kids, we are finding it really hard.

Looking for something with a kitchen

Not in a bad / high crime area

We fly into Fort Lauderdale and port in Miami ( Carnival Breeze). We are looking for a car to rent as well and hoping to grab it in Fort Lauderdale and returning it to Miami (free exchange to boat).

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Have you looked into one of the ExtendedStayAmerica hotels in Miami?

They have kitchenettes, and are a reasonable price. Includes breakfast, and a fridge, stove, cookware and dishes etc.

I have stayed at the one in Brickell, it was pretty good. Grocery store, drugstore and restaurants pretty close by.

But no pool, the other two have a pool which may be nice for the kids.

Archived