Trip insurance

cjnix29

Do you get this? We are cruising in August, so hurricane season. I have bought it previously, but not liking the rates from the place we got it from before. Anyone have any place they like to buy it from?

I usually get trip insurance and price various companies through insuremytrip.com

I don't really worry about hurricane season, even though we've had itinerary changes due to them. What's much more important to me is the medical and medevac coverage should I get ill or injured.

My sister and I are in our later 50's and a decent policy for the two of us usually runs about $120 for a 7 day cruise.

Never mind if it's hurricane season or not. Did we really have one this year? Get it for other losses or medical. Rates are different depending on how much coverage, they are not all flat rates.

There's a whole section here on insurance questions. This post will go over there as soon as the mods see this post.

I always get trip insurance. I have an elderly grandmother and I can't afford to spend money on a trip I can't take. Plus, I don't have enough to pay for a medical evac from the ship if something were to happen. Being healthy doesn't necessarily mean anything on that front. You can still break a bone or have a bad accident.

I always get trip insurance. I have an elderly grandmother and I can't afford to spend money on a trip I can't take. Plus, I don't have enough to pay for a medical evac from the ship if something were to happen. Being healthy doesn't necessarily mean anything on that front. You can still break a bone or have a bad accident.

You never know, do you? I did not take out insurance like I usually do, though still have time. However, with that being said, I got a back injury just a few months ago, still in treatment, still have pain. If I'm not able to go, no insurance will cover that because it's now a pre existing condition. I can be insured for other things, but no coverage for anything related to the back.

Never mind if it's hurricane season or not. Did we really have one this year? Get it for other losses or medical. Rates are different depending on how much coverage, they are not all flat rates.

There's a whole section here on insurance questions. This post will go over there as soon as the mods see this post.

I agree with you, RuthlessBoss. We buy the insurance for medical reasons as Medicare does not cover us out of the US. We're in our early 70s so the insurance is not cheap, but we'd never leave home without it. For a cruise, that is.

I usually get the insurance for the medical transport coverage.

I know that if I or mine were to become ill or injured, I will want to get back home.

But I would like to hear a first hand account from someone on here who has actually used the medical transport and how it all worked out.

Buy insurance for medical reasons! DH and I are cruisers but we took a vacation to Cancun 2 weeks ago. DH slipped on wet floor in hotel lobby and 7 stitches cost us $940 up front. They provided us with an interpreter at hospital because no one spoke English and my husband is a heart patient. That alone was worth the cost of insurance!

here is the post I added last week but it was moved. Hopefully some see it before this thread gets moved:

We are cruisers but decided to try an all-inclusive resort for this year's vacation. I always purchase travel insurance because of my husband's medical conditions. Last week while in the hotel lobby my husband slipped and fell face first on the floor. He had cut a gash in his forehead from his glasses and was bleeding pretty bad. He is a heart patient and takes aspirin daily which only added to my problems. I was trying to get the bell hops to get me a doctor, gauze, anything to help him. I was offered a band-aid when they saw the blood. No one spoke English not even the hotel's doctor. He did bandage the wound and sent us to a local hospital to get stitches. Again no one at the hospital spoke English. With my Travel Insurance I was able to get an interpreter so I can explain health issues, medications, and known allergies. Also, the hotel is supposed to pay for expenses but all they don't pay my Travel Insurance will. 7 stitches cost us 10816 pesos ($940) and we had to pay up front. Medical claim has already been started!

PSkinner, I quoted your post but it's not working! Because I read your thread I rechecked my policy. I got insurance for the April, 2014 trip but somehow not for my October, 2013 trip. I was able to get the medical portion for under $35--I have no insurance right now. Thank you!

you are more than welcome! most people don't need it and I never have but I was so thankful to have it. I hope others can learn from my experience and not have to go through what i did.

You never know, do you? I did not take out insurance like I usually do, though still have time. However, with that being said, I got a back injury just a few months ago, still in treatment, still have pain. If I'm not able to go, no insurance will cover that because it's now a pre existing condition. I can be insured for other things, but no coverage for anything related to the back.

I've been known to trip over invisible rocks. Granted, a sprained ankle wouldn't keep me from cruising, but a broken bone could given the right circumstances!

I usually use USAA but still check a lot of policies first through insure my trip dot com - also used them for years before finding out about USAA's offerings - it's a really helpful tool since you can compare lots of policies at the same time. Good Luck.

my son got sick on a cruise a couple of years ago - suspected

Appendicitis. First off the ship, ambulance to the hospital, loads of tests and a cat scan. Turned out the be “just” gastroenteritis.

Cost: over $10,000

How much is that insurance policy again?

DH and I were at an AI 3 weeks ago. Received a message that our oldest son was admitted for emergency surgery. Had to fly home. $800 to change the tickets out of pocket. Thankfully we always buy trip insurance. We will be reimbursed for the 4 nights of accomodations we didn't use, unused airfare, and the change fee. We saved enough on this one experience to more than cover the cost of all travel insurance.

It is just like any other type of insurance, just an added cost UNTIL YOU NEED IT.

I am totally planning on getting the insurance, I just wondered where people have gotten the best deal. We aren't military, so can't go that route.

I went to AAA's website and used who they recommend. I didn't have to be a member to buy it.

Archived