Shopping in cozumel

Calidoo

When you get off the RCL ships, the stores there are pretty run down and to my eyes, questionable..... If you walk out of that area to the street, take a right and walk about a block, there is a very large shopping area that looks almost brand new. It is right where Carnival lets their passengers out. All the big name stores are there and lots others. Very nice...

Great place to buy Vanilla.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I used to think that because it was a bargain, but honestly if you really want good vanilla, get the Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract. Sure it is $$ and I buy it from Williams Sonoma which is $$$... but you don't use that much at a time and it is worth it. The vanilla I have bought in Coz just has a taste I am not fond of.

I used to think that because it was a bargain, but honestly if you really want good vanilla, get the Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract. Sure it is $$ and I buy it from Williams Sonoma which is $$$... but you don't use that much at a time and it is worth it. The vanilla I have bought in Coz just has a taste I am not fond of.

I just don't trust any vanilla I could buy in Mexico to actually be Vanilla. I can buy FDA controlled Vanilla in the states. Most Mexican vanilla synthetic, and can contain Coumarin (which gives it a vanilla flavor). Just like the 'silver' jewelry you can buy dirt cheap. Just because they say it is silver doesn't make it so. If its too good to be true...

I'm not a big shopper but I found Coz to be one of my favorite places to do a little shopping near the ship.

One thing I did not like was the guys that try to take you up the stairs and guide you into their shop and then close the doors once you enter. I guess partly because the store is air-conditioned but mostly to make you feel obligated to buy something before you leave. I did not like this tactic and walked right out without buying anything.

• 2 months later...

We were just in Cozumel Dec. 28, 2013. I got a beautiful lambskin leather jacket there for an unbelievable price at Matis Jewelry and Carpet, right by the pier Av. Rafael Melgar#457 entre 5 y 7 Sur, Colonia Centro. It is one of the places on the map that NCL Dawn gives you. I was not shopping for jewelry, but I did notice they had some unusual pieces I have not seen any place else.

We also found we did the best for liquor and cigarettes at the Dufry duty free store at the pier.