Fed Gov Shutdown will affect Forts & El Yunque

RayInPR

How can they close that huge forest? There is no way!

BTW I did not vote for him!:p

1st question: they can defund the salaries of the people responsible for keeping it safe.

2nd question: don't want to get sidetracked about "him", but I believe by definition there must be two parties involved for a dispute to even exist.

If the Federal Government shutdown goes into effect tonight, the San Juan National Historic Site (El Morro & San Cristobal forts) -- as well as El Yunque National Forest -- will be closed.

In addition to the Forts and El Yunque NF, the Fish & Wildlife Services (FWS) beaches (Red Beach, Blue Beach, etc) on Vieques are closed due to the shutdown.

Per an article that was published earlier today in one of the local newspapers El Yunque is partially closed but it is accessible via 3 different routes. It even mentions that a group of passengers from a cruise ship is visiting tomorrow. Now both forts are completely closed.

Newspaper article:

http://www.elnuevodia.com/abiertoparcialmenteelyunque-1609129.html

(I tried to find the article in english but I didn't have any luck)

Thanks so much for sharing that article, emortiz24!

So it sounds to me like the main driving route:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=San+Juan,+San+Juan,+Puerto+Rico&daddr=la+coca,+puerto+rico&hl=en&sll=18.318515,-65.771542&sspn=0.088326,0.169086&geocode=FR7GGQEdhk4P_ClvGWjib2gDjDHcWpNcD39rrQ%3BFfqFFwEdy2YU_CkLC79pV58EjDFbc5164saJ5A&oq=san+juan&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

will be open all the way to La Coca Falls - is that your understanding too?

That would be great, as it seems that it would mean most of the trails here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/elyunque/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5190546&width=full

would be accessible.

Would the route through Naguabo be something like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=San+Juan,+San+Juan,+Puerto+Rico&daddr=PR-191&hl=en&ll=18.236525,-65.775833&spn=0.353469,0.676346&sll=18.236607,-65.775919&sspn=0.044184,0.084543&geocode=FR7GGQEdhk4P_ClvGWjib2gDjDHcWpNcD39rrQ%3BFUhpFgEddfsT_A&oq=san+juan&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=14&t=m&z=11

?

This map by the forest service:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5315698.gif

indicates that the road there is closed due to a landslide...

I've found Google Maps to be horribly inaccurate in Puerto Rico, and would appreciate any tips on alternate routes (or mapping software!).

Would the route through Naguabo be something like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=San+Juan,+San+Juan,+Puerto+Rico&daddr=PR-191&hl=en&ll=18.236525,-65.775833&spn=0.353469,0.676346&sll=18.236607,-65.775919&sspn=0.044184,0.084543&geocode=FR7GGQEdhk4P_ClvGWjib2gDjDHcWpNcD39rrQ%3BFUhpFgEddfsT_A&oq=san+juan&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=14&t=m&z=11

?

This map by the forest service:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5315698.gif

indicates that the road there is closed due to a landslide...

I've found Google Maps to be horribly inaccurate in Puerto Rico, and would appreciate any tips on alternate routes (or mapping software!).

It's easy to access Rte 191 from the south side. Of course the drive time from San Juan doubles, which is prohibitive for anyone on a 6 or 8 hour visit. It is correct that 191 was cut in the middle by a landslide, which has separated the south part of the park from the US government and civilization itself for many years. Trails on the south side are fewer and not well maintained. There never was anyone to let you in or keep you out, but no one to help if you get in trouble either.

Per an article that was published earlier today in one of the local newspapers El Yunque is partially closed but it is accessible via 3 different routes. It even mentions that a group of passengers from a cruise ship is visiting tomorrow. Now both forts are completely closed.

Newspaper article:

http://www.elnuevodia.com/abiertoparcialmenteelyunque-1609129.html

(I tried to find the article in english but I didn't have any luck)

Unfortunately, that article is not 100% accurate. Sure, the Rain Forest is huge, so you can drive around and see it, but actually walking around on trails is extremely limited. There is only 1 trail that is accessible that is not in disrepair.

The gate that "closes" the forest is right below La Coca falls on N191. There are no trails available on that road below that point. You would have to hop a fence to see La Coca Falls.

RT 988 has one trail that is nice- Angelito Trail. I am assuming this is where everyone will be going. There is very limited parking here, so this will be a mess!

S191 has one trail that is an awful mess. Total disrepair ( or has been every time we went). Maybe now they will clean it up?

Now there are loads of other roads that go through the Rain Forest that are open, many have rivers and nice scenery.

RT 186 has a waterfall that is right off the road. There is also El Toro trailhead, but that trail has been closed for years (but I hear it is in usable shape).

How can they close that huge forest? There is no way!

BTW I did not vote for him!:p

On the news, we've seen many National Parks entry roads gated and blocked. They do not permit entry.

Isn't it interesting that they always close places or do away with services that people want? Never the silly stuff--did you know that the Congress has actual elevator operators so that they don't have to push buttons? Close or stop things like that or research grants into the behavior of blue bearded worms.

Regarding the forts ... they are a US National Park ... so they will be closed for the duration of the US government shutdown, just like any national parks in the States.

Regarding the Arecibo Radiotelescope ... The observatory is _not_ a federal facility, so it is not directly impacted by the shutdown. It is currently open. HOWEVER, the bulk of funding for the observatory comes from the National Science Foundation. The director of the facility said (in the news) that they have been given the green light by the NSF to continue operating for now. But if the shutdown continues "too long" (no idea how long is "too long"), they may be forced to cease operations at the facility once the NSF funds dry up. There has been no indication given if this would affect the research side, the visitor side, or both sides of operations. So ... for now ... it's a "wait and see" scenario.

Regarding the forts ... they are a US National Park ... so they will be closed for the duration of the US government shutdown, just like any national parks in the States.

Regarding the Arecibo Radiotelescope ... The observatory is _not_ a federal facility, so it is not directly impacted by the shutdown. It is currently open. HOWEVER, the bulk of funding for the observatory comes from the National Science Foundation. The director of the facility said (in the news) that they have been given the green light by the NSF to continue operating for now. But if the shutdown continues "too long" (no idea how long is "too long"), they may be forced to cease operations at the facility once the NSF funds dry up. There has been no indication given if this would affect the research side, the visitor side, or both sides of operations. So ... for now ... it's a "wait and see" scenario.

Thanks for the update. I hope this shutdown is over soon.

Good info. Thanks!

Archived