Please Rank these 9 POC

HUNNY BUN

Volcanic in origin = more rainfall?

The only effect of volcanic origin would be to produce higher elevation, which squeezes rain out of the trade winds as the air rises and condenses. You can see this in the volcanoes of St Kitts, which are generally shrouded in cloud while the lower elevations are bathed in sunlight.

The Virgin Islands and St Martin are similar in general climate to St Kitts but do not have elevations high enough to produce continual cloud. A short distance west Puerto Rico has enough high elevation, e.g. El Yunque National Forest, to sustain an actual rain forest. (The "rain forest" in St Croix is technically a dry forest. "Rainforest" markets better).

Further south St Lucia and Dominica, in addition to being mountainous, are in a latitude which simply generates more moisture.

Except for Barbados, everything on the arc east of Puerto Rico is volcanic. The range of vegetation from lush forest on Dominica to cactus on St Martin and the Virgins is due primarily to latitude, secondarily to elevation, zero to type of rock formation.

My knowledge of geology is pretty minimal, but it's interesting to look at the various exposures. I was able to confirm that the huge boulders on the eastern shore of Barbados are in fact coral, which supposedly have tumbled from the uplifted cliffs inland. Most of the rock on the other islands is strange to me and bespeaks chaos and incandescent fury.

We are trying to narrow down our cruise choice for Jan 2015. We want to go places we've never been.

I can rate 7, but I don't value even my own ratings too highly because I've not seen more than I've seen on each island.

1: Tortola. Clear air brings out the colors of the sea. I hate Cane Garden Bay (beautiful in itself, but overbuilt and sort of grubby at the east end), but Brewer's to the east and Long Bay to the west are uncrowded and esthetic. You can also get up in the hills for some long-distance views.

2. Dominica: Dominica is just different. Rather than blue and white, its dominant color is rainforest green. Lots of mountain views, waterfalls, and such exotica as hot springs and boiling lakes.

3. St Kitts: I just like it for some reason. A dry island dotted with a few big volcanoes perpetually wreathed in cloud. You can go from beach level to high overlooks with great views.

4. Antigua. Another dry island with hard clear blue skies and white beaches, millions of them.

5. Barbados. I've only visited the wild beaches on the East but there are many other things to see.

6. St Croix. Kind of like Barbados in not having the mountainous grandeur of some of the others. The highlight for me is Sandy Point, a nature reserve with miles of unspoiled and untrod beach. You can only visit on weekends, though.

7. St Lucia. Even though St Lucia is last on my list it's a big, lush, varied island with the fabulous Pitons. I'm leaning towards going back this year.

Really, rather than being 1 through 7 my feeling is that these are 1.001 through 1.007. I would recommend any of them.

• 3 months later...

Ranked in order starting with my favorite - I also noted things that have swayed my decision.

Curacao – My DH & I LOVE the overall vibe of the island – we’re anxious to go back!

Tortola – The Baths at Virgin Gorda

St. Croix – Tidal Pools (tour through Tan Tan)

Dominica – Emerald Pool

St. Lucia

St. Kitts

Antigua

Barbados

**Martinique – I excluded this from the ranking since I was only there once in 1998 and vaguely remember the details of my trip.

Edited by HeatherC430