Returned from Costa Victoria - Review

NewMarket Traveler

We recently just got back from a Costa cruise on the Victoria in the Med and I wanted to share my experience with everyone. This was a family trip, six adults, one teenager, and three rooms. Of the rooms we had two suites (one with a balcony) and a balcony room. This was my first Costa cruise and third cruise all together. I have previously cruised on Celebrity and Holland America. We departed Venice on June 20 and embarking was very efficient and easy. I should have packed my swim suit in my carry on so I could relax by the pool, as it took a while for us to receive our luggage. The overall atmosphere of the ship was very casual (lots of blue jeans and t-shirts). We were expecting a dressier and more traditional cruise, but found it to be refreshingly casual. A mix of younger and older cruisers (I'm 41 and felt the average age was probably 35) made up the guests. Formal night was not a traditional formal. My partner and I wore our tuxes and were very much in the minority. On the second formal night I opted for my grey suit with a black crew neck shirt under it and still felt over dressed. The ship is immaculately clean and well kept. It is a very plain and astetically pleasing ship, there are no areas that are beautiful or breathtaking. Our balcony room was much smaller than the balcony room we had on the Westerdam when we cruised Holland America earlier this year. The food was good, nothing stands out as exceptional. I recommend paying the 20 euros, making reservations and eating in the exclusive restaurant. This food was exceptional and the same level of food and service we received every night on Holland America. Being English speaking was not a problem, each of the crew and staff spoke a minimum of three lanquages. Lots of shopping oppurtunities on and off ship. The excursions were the best organized on any cruise I have been on. If you are looking for a no-frills, very relaxing cruise, I recommend the Victoria.

Archived