Are Cunard's Shuttle Buses too expensive

Slow Foxtrot

About 10 days ago the QM2 Shuttle Bus from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to a drop-off point in Manhattan costs $40 per passenger. Does anyone consider this expensive? Three buses left the dockside at about 8pm and returned about 3pm to bring the passengers back. There were probably 50 or more people on each bus so that would be a take of about $6000 - for three shuttle buses!

Yes, yes, we know - Cunard are in business to make money. But is this reasonable?

About 10 days ago the QM2 Shuttle Bus from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to a drop-off point in Manhattan costs $40 per passenger. Does anyone consider this expensive? Three buses left the dockside at about 8pm and returned about 3pm to bring the passengers back. There were probably 50 or more people on each bus so that would be a take of about $6000 - for three shuttle buses!

Yes, yes, we know - Cunard are in business to make money. But is this reasonable?

A taxi would cost $35-$45 each way so I think for one person their shuttle fare is ok, if there is more than one person travelling I would opt for a cab in a heartbeat. For some reason people are terrified of missing the ship because of traffic congestion or because of the cab driver's inability to find Red Hook. The solution is possibly to leave earlier for the return trip and take a map of Brooklyn with you to show the driver.

Assuming that $40 is the round trip fare, i.e. $20 each way, it seems reasonable to me. I've never taken a cab from the terminal to mid-town, but $20 for fare and tip sounds about right. Time for those who have hired cabs at the terminal to share their experiences.

We took a private sedan from Midtown to Brooklyn (Red Hook) last december for $55.00

Shop around. If you are unsure about taking a taxi, arrange the transfers with a car service. You can have them meet you at the pier and take you into manhattan, you could also arrange for them to pick you up at a hotel and bring you back. I've used a company called Wiro Limo and they have been very good and reliable.

One thing to consider is that by taking the shuttle bus, you are one of the first groups ushered off the ship, through customs and then seated promptly on a comfortable bus with your fellow passengers. If you have an on-board credit, that charge can be applied as long as you book the shuttle bus once you are on board.

Having said that, I'd probably hail a taxi. Being a New Yorker, it's one of my favourite sports ;):D Cheers, -S.

On our first trip sailing from NY, I was leary of the cabs...so we ordered a car service for the trip to Brooklyn. I was adamant about having a driver who spoke English and requested this. They complied but sent a driver with one arm.

My list of requests keeps getting longer. :D

on our first trip sailing from ny, i was leary of the cabs...so we ordered a car service for the trip to brooklyn. I was adamant about having a driver who spoke english and requested this. They complied but sent a driver with one arm.

My list of requests keeps getting longer. :d

lol

On our first trip sailing from NY, I was leary of the cabs...so we ordered a car service for the trip to Brooklyn. I was adamant about having a driver who spoke English and requested this. They complied but sent a driver with one arm.

My list of requests keeps getting longer. :D

A list as long as your arm in fact !

On the QV last month:

Stockholm : Can't remember

Tallinn : Free, but easy walkable

St Petersburg : None, but then not really applicable

Wernemunde : None, but not required

Kristainsand : None, but not required

Copenhagen : I don't think there was one, but it's about a 20-25 walk

Helsinki : 6 Euros, 6 pounds or 8 dollars ( I thinks that's about right ).

You could also purchase (which we did) tickets for the Hop-On Hop-Off bus on the ship for Stockholm and Tallin for the same price as you would pay on the bus. It was actually slightly more because the converted the price to dollars at some very poor rate, but as there was only a couple of quid in it it's makes no odds really.

On the QV last month:

Stockholm : Can't remember

Tallinn : Free, but easy walkable

St Petersburg : None, but then not really applicable

Wernemunde : None, but not required

Kristainsand : None, but not required

Copenhagen : I don't think there was one, but it's about a 20-25 walk

Helsinki : 6 Euros, 6 pounds or 8 dollars ( I thinks that's about right ).

You could also purchase (which we did) tickets for the Hop-On Hop-Off bus on the ship for Stockholm and Tallin for the same price as you would pay on the bus. It was actually slightly more because the converted the price to dollars at some very poor rate, but as there was only a couple of quid in it it's makes no odds really.

Gothenborg (QV 2012 Winter): Bus was free, no chance of other transport or walk

Copenhagen, bus free, but not needed

Elsinore: tender free :D

Southampton (start of WC2013): only crew bus available;)

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4

Archived