Delay on Russian Cruise

squarevanman

Having read with interest the problems encountered over the past few months in Western Europe with the flooding and lock strikes I thought CC members may be interested in my delay on a Russian waterways trip.

I had the pleasure of being a passenger on the Nikolay Chernvshevsky from Moscow to St. Petersberg between 17th and 28th September. This ship is operated by Vodohod who are the largest operator with 26 ships (so I was told) Viking is the second with 4 and a couple of smaller operators have 1 or 2 ships.

4 hours after leaving Mandrogul the captain dropped the anchor mid channel on the Svir river. Looking astern we were able to count another 6 ships (mainly cargo) all moored mid stream. Within 30 minutes meetings were called for all passengers to inform us what was happening. There was a storm ahead on Lake Ladoga with waves of upto 2.5 metres. Our ship could cope with 2.5 metre waves but the captain felt it would be unfair to subject his passengers to such an ordeal. Options were explained to us and we were told that the captain received weather updates every 4 hours and the passengers would be kept in the loop. Sure enough during waking hours updates were given over the ships tannoy system. The crew hastily put on some additional entertainment for our pleasure. After 19 hours the captain had better weather reports and we departed although he detoured swinging via the island in the lake to ensure the bow was heading into the waves. Normally he would have gone across the lake but this would have meant waves crashing against our side. We arrived in St. Petersburg about 24 hours late. Obviously passengers were disappointed at missing 24 hours in this beautiful city but we were happy that we had been informed constantly of what was happening. At one stage passengers were suggesting being bussed into St. Petersburg and I understand this was being considered.

Having read with interest the problems encountered over the past few months in Western Europe with the flooding and lock strikes I thought CC members may be interested in my delay on a Russian waterways trip.

I had the pleasure of being a passenger on the Nikolay Chernvshevsky from Moscow to St. Petersberg between 17th and 28th September. This ship is operated by Vodohod who are the largest operator with 26 ships (so I was told) Viking is the second with 4 and a couple of smaller operators have 1 or 2 ships.

4 hours after leaving Mandrogul the captain dropped the anchor mid channel on the Svir river. Looking astern we were able to count another 6 ships (mainly cargo) all moored mid stream. Within 30 minutes meetings were called for all passengers to inform us what was happening. There was a storm ahead on Lake Ladoga with waves of upto 2.5 metres. Our ship could cope with 2.5 metre waves but the captain felt it would be unfair to subject his passengers to such an ordeal. Options were explained to us and we were told that the captain received weather updates every 4 hours and the passengers would be kept in the loop. Sure enough during waking hours updates were given over the ships tannoy system. The crew hastily put on some additional entertainment for our pleasure. After 19 hours the captain had better weather reports and we departed although he detoured swinging via the island in the lake to ensure the bow was heading into the waves. Normally he would have gone across the lake but this would have meant waves crashing against our side. We arrived in St. Petersburg about 24 hours late. Obviously passengers were disappointed at missing 24 hours in this beautiful city but we were happy that we had been informed constantly of what was happening. At one stage passengers were suggesting being bussed into St. Petersburg and I understand this was being considered.

Isn't it amazing how much better it is when we're told the TRUTH!!! No body wants to get on a plane that has a maintenance issue or fight through a severe storm in a boat...how refreshing that our Russian counterparts feel most tourists are mature enough to handle the truth instead of some ridiculous concocted story! We were very fortunate on our Russian ship, Leo Tolstoy, the cruise across Lake Ladoga was lovely but with your cruising history you didn't miss anything. Now the day you missed in St. Petersburg....that's a bummer.

Archived