Xmas Cruise 2014

gojocruise

Just booked my first ever Christmas Cruise :) onboard Arcadia J422.

Very excited and looking forward to it already. I have so many questions in regard to the festivities on board - are there decorations? Is xmas day lunch at lunch time? Queens speech - is it shown, xmas movies - will i miss out on the regular stuff that I would normally enjoy at home? I would love to hear about other peoples experiences on xmas cruises and what we could expect.

Thank you :)

We're booked on that one as well, Jo. It'll be our first Christmas cruise. We've been on Arcadia before, but we'll be in an 'Obstructed View' outside cabin for this cruise - we decided we wouldn't need a balcony.

I gather that there are decorations but I'm not clear how much daytime stuff there is on Christmas day - I have a feeling that this might be a bit of an easy day for the crew (or some of them).

Host Sharon (Sharon Poole) has done at least one Christmas cruise, I think, so perhaps she can comment?

Did a Chrustmas cruise last year on Azura. It was lovely ship beautifully decorated. Lovely atmosphere. Captain led a christmas carol service in the morning. Christmas dinner was in the evening. All waiters wearing festive hats. Christmas eve Santa could be seen on the funnel.

Thoroughly enjoyed it . Hope you will too

Sunny

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, the bell family have booked their first xmas cruise. We are booked on to Ventura. Leaving Gatwick on the 20th Dec and flying to Barbados.

We too would like to know what it is like cruise at xmas time. We have cruised the carribbean before, however would like to know what it's like on xmas day etc. Are there pantos staged ?

Hi all,

We have done 3 Christmas cruises. One on Azura 28 Caribbean and America, one on Adonia to the Eastern Med, and last year on Aurora Southampton to Caribbean and back.

All very different and all very enjoyable. This year we are back on Azura to Caribbean and next year Oriana to the Caribbean return to Southampton.

Lots of decorations around the ship. Party atmosphere, Santa, pantomimes, carol service. Xmas dinner is at night and the food just keeps coming until you say stop and even then the waiters want to wrap it for you to take away.

We just love Xmas away and especially in the sun. Do we miss anything?

No washing up, no cooking, no shopping, no rushing around like a mad woman trying to make everything perfect for just a few hours.

Sue

Evening, we were on Oceana last Christmas.

The ship was beautifully decorated with a huge tree and a gingerbread village in the Atrium.

There was a Christmas carol outdoor concert on Christmas Eve as we sailed out of Amsterdam with Father Christmas arriving on the ship.

Christmas morning breakfast in the restaurant had the waiters offering Buck's Fizz at an extra cost of course!

Christmas lunch is served at dinner and is formal and absolutely amazing - turkey with trimmings, but my 12 year old chose the pheasant! Lunch is a very quiet affair as the crew have their festivities throughout the afternoon.

There is also a Christmas service in the morning, and the Queen's speech is shown. There are Christmas movies shown in cabin on a loop.

One very important thing to organise is your cabin door decoration - the corridors all look great!! We also took a small gift for our steward and waiters - gift vouchers or selection boxes are a good idea!!

It's amazing onboard - you will all have a fantastic time!

Suzy

Thanks everyone with your comments. Very interesting reading. We are all looking forward to xmas in the sun.

Can anyone let me know how much each it costs to pre book your flight seats. When we cruised with princess, we weren't able to pre book and just arrived at the airport very early. I am tall and wanted the extra leg room.

Hi,

This year You can book your flight seats at 9 weeks and 2 days before your outgoing flight.

The PO blurb says 12 weeks but we got this info from the flight dept and indeed they did come on line at that time.

The flight seats cost £30 per person return, this is for the majority of the seats. If you want the extra leg room by the bulk head then they are more expensive but not sure how much.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have another question (with 13 months to go, it may not be a one off , he he ) will there be themed evenings on ventura over christmas. I know someone that will be sailing on ventura this month and she will be taking 60's & 70's fancy dress. She also stated that sometimes there are a black and white evening. Will we be informed before we go about the themed evenings. If, so how will be informed of these evenings and what to bring etc ?

We are looking forward to the New Year's Eve party, I am told its on deck. When we sailed on princess around the Caribbean, there was a deck party which was fab. Starting to look into excursions, we can book. Will be booking bernards tours again, also want to sail to Nevis on a catamaran. Did that over 20 yrs ago and really enjoyed the trip.

Any other suggestions for, do it your self excursions ?

Bells xx

Hi all, I have another question (with 13 months to go, it may not be a one off , he he ) will there be themed evenings on ventura over christmas. I know someone that will be sailing on ventura this month and she will be taking 60's & 70's fancy dress. She also stated that sometimes there are a black and white evening. Will we be informed before we go about the themed evenings. If, so how will be informed of these evenings and what to bring etc ?

We are looking forward to the New Year's Eve party, I am told its on deck. When we sailed on princess around the Caribbean, there was a deck party which was fab. Starting to look into excursions, we can book. Will be booking bernards tours again, also want to sail to Nevis on a catamaran. Did that over 20 yrs ago and really enjoyed the trip.

Any other suggestions for, do it your self excursions ?

Bells xx

Black and white evening is a formal evening,just most of the ladies will be in black and white.....

the theme nights not many people dress up at all..we never take anything for them...

As to when the formal nights are etc, and this is not written in stone (formal tends to be on sea days) should be found here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code_all

• 10 months later...

Hi all we are going on the Arcadia Xmas cruise in Dec on C deck have booked it as it is adults only as a previous Xmas cruise on Thomson Dream around the Caribbean was ruined by children and youths getting drunk and running wild have been on other all inc cruises with Thomson before on the Celebration Spirit Destiny and Dream and found them to be fine have been on 1 previous P&O Cruise before but only a 4 day taster cruise also have been on Silversea Taster cruise which was fantastic so hopefully weather will be fine as a previous Arcadia Xmas cruise was cancelled due to adverse weather!! can anyone confirm that there will be 2 formal nights on the 7 day cruise! really looking forward to meeting all you sociable cruisers for a drink chat sociable time bring it on!! Dave n Viv the Skeggy Wanderers

I'll be on Oriana this Christmas.

Just bought a large wheeled holdall so that I can take pressies for my partner and a mini tree for the cabin. It's been a long time since I have spent Christmas not on my own and I'm really looking forward to it.

This will be our 4th cruise in 16 months, are we addicted? :D

Done a Christmas cruise 3 years ago on the Oriana, they had a midnight mass with an Indian twist (the staff were playing the hymns on their own instruments) can't describe it too well so i hope you get what i mean :confused::D

Anyway it was brilliant with mince pies to finish the evening off, if they have one on your cruise i would definitely recommend it.