Looking at Splendor for next year

RSLeesburg

My wife and I are thinking about taking a Thanksgiving cruise next year, and were looking at ships within driving distance, which means RCI Grandeur, NCL Breakaway or Gem, or Carnival Splendor. We just got off the Grandeur, and my wife and son (almost 4), loved it. We could definitely sail on her again, but wanted to explore all possible options. I was curious to know what people think about Splendor (in comparison to Grandeur). Also, we had a Grand Suite on RCI, would that be the same as Grand Suite on Carnival? Which is better - Cloud 9 Suite or Grand? Also, why doesn't Carnival post layouts and square footage of their rooms - would make it much easier to compare :D

PS: I will probably cross post on NCL forum about Breakaway and Gem, but some friends we met on Grandeur highly recommended we look at Carnival, and I know what the folks over on the RCI forum will say :D. Thanks.

If I had it to do over again I would not go on the Splendor. We were on the 9/22-9/30 cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas and Gran Turk. The itinerary was very nice, our experience on the ship wasn't. Some examples- bed was terrible, should have had new mattresses several years ago. Food in the buffets was barely warm and seating hard to find. We started eating in the MDR, the food and service was very good. Entertainment was lacking, decor looks old and worn, ship was confusing to navigate-most people looked lost. Balcony cabin was a nice size and we did enjoy having coffee on the balcony. Room service was also very good. I read the reviews of the ship and most were positive, however I wish I would have chosen a different ship!

I know its not an option, but the Pride's last roundtrip cruise from Baltimore is the week of Thanksgiving. November 23rd, 2014. Its really cheap too. I suggest checking that out.

But if that doesn't work then I would say Gem. I have always wanted to try Gem.

I know its not an option, but the Pride's last roundtrip cruise from Baltimore is the week of Thanksgiving. November 23rd, 2014. Its really cheap too. I suggest checking that out.

But if that doesn't work then I would say Gem. I have always wanted to try Gem.

Oh, the Pride is definitely an option. For some reason, I thought Pride was leaving earlier. I will check out prices for the Pride. Thanks for the suggestion. Baltimore is the easiest port for us! As I said, we loved Grandeur, but thought maybe one of the bigger ships might offer more to do. Our son practically lived in the pool and kids club, but in Nov the weather may be too cold for pool on some days, and just worried about finding stuff to do...lol. I heard Pride was a bigger ship, but thought it was leaving sooner. If Explorer was still in Bayonne, I would book that in a minute, but I am not paying premium for Quantum...

Also, why doesn't Carnival post layouts and square footage of their rooms - would make it much easier to compare :D /QUOTE]

They do. Go under the ships and staterooms section of the website and click Splendor or Pride. They go to the room you want and click aerial view. Only some rooms have them.

We too try to stay away from the Splendor due to her tacky decor. It's really, really hideous. The spa rooms however are pretty much the only place on board that aren't pepto pink.

We did have a good cruise and Camp Carnival is wonderful. But of the options you've listed, not sure I'd pick her.

They heat it. And the whole back of the ship is Serenity, and adult-only retreat with a pool, hot tubs, a bar, hammocks and premium deck chairs. She is a great ship.

Deck 9 aft is an adults only pool/hot tubs, but it's not part of the Serenity deck. It has regular blue loungers.

Deck 9 aft is an adults only pool/hot tubs, but it's not part of the Serenity deck. It has regular blue loungers.

But they are there. And its says Serenity on the door. So yes. The whole thing is Serenity. Not all has premium chairs, but they are there.

We too try to stay away from the Splendor due to her tacky decor. It's really, really hideous.

Really? You wouldn't cruise on a ship because of décor? If that was the case I wouldn't have sailed on any Carnival ships if I had listened to people complaining about the décor. Carnival Legend - What's with all the urns?? Carnival Pride - What's with all the (gasp) nudes?. Carnival Miracle - What's with the grapes in the dining room? Splendor - Too much pink. Sensation - Too much purple. Carnival Victory - Too much green. Fantasy Class - too much neon. And on and on and on. It's what Carnival and Joe Farcus are all about. Guess you're limited to the Magic, Breeze, and now Sunshine, as they are not Joe Farcus designed.

Really? You wouldn't cruise on a ship because of décor? If that was the case I wouldn't have sailed on any Carnival ships if I had listened to people complaining about the décor. Carnival Legend - What's with all the urns?? Carnival Pride - What's with all the (gasp) nudes?. Carnival Miracle - What's with the grapes in the dining room? Splendor - Too much pink. Sensation - Too much purple. Carnival Victory - Too much green. Fantasy Class - too much neon. And on and on and on. It's what Carnival and Joe Farcus are all about. Guess you're limited to the Magic, Breeze, and now Sunshine, as they are not Joe Farcus designed.

We love loud Farcus just don't like Cayhills Carnival!!!! Looking at the Splendor Feb or March...best rates will dictate what we do.....that's if we don't decide to "Breakaway":D

If I had it to do over again I would not go on the Splendor. We were on the 9/22-9/30 cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas and Gran Turk. The itinerary was very nice, our experience on the ship wasn't. Some examples- bed was terrible, should have had new mattresses several years ago. Food in the buffets was barely warm and seating hard to find. We started eating in the MDR, the food and service was very good. Entertainment was lacking, decor looks old and worn, ship was confusing to navigate-most people looked lost. Balcony cabin was a nice size and we did enjoy having coffee on the balcony. Room service was also very good. I read the reviews of the ship and most were positive, however I wish I would have chosen a different ship!

I second that;)

ouch. Taking my family on a cruise on the Splendor. They have been listening to us rave about cruising and I know they think we exaggarate how wonderful it is to cruise. Bad reviews scare me.

I also raved about cruising to my family. We loved our cruise on the Pride in April and were anxious to do another cruise this year. I was concerned about some of the reviews I read. However I decided against my better instincts to judge for myself. I am so sorry I did-how I wish I would have chosen a different ship! We were planning to cruise again next May with some family, somehow I don't see that happening as my DH is really disgusted at this point in time. I am hoping I can change his mind. If you do decide on the Splendor, I hope you have a better experience. I sure didn't rave about this cruise!

I can agree with the décor statement.

Pride is full of naked mermaids and naked pictures and naked babies and naked everything. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't cruise on her. I actually prefer the naked woman mural in the elevator shaft in the atrium on Pride than Glory, as she has nothing there.

Décor doesn't define the ship. If it does to you, then cruise Royal. Their décor is like my living room to me.

For those of you that have cruised both the Splendor and the Pride, which Serenity area is better in your opinion? I spend most of my Sea Days in the Serenity area and I do LOVE Pride's Serenity. I've never cruised on the Splendor so I don't know how her Serenity compares. I'm not interested in the Adults aft area--I'd like to hear your opinion of the actual Serenity on Splendor. I am trying to decide which ship to book while I am on Glory in two weeks. Thanks in advance.

Yes, the Pride is full of Renaissance nakedness, however, after a couple of hours you don't even notice that statues and paintings have naked people, you just realize that it's art. The Pride is a wonderful ship and I will miss her when she leaves, but she seemed a little worn and tired to me when I last cruised her in March. Needs a makeover badly IMO. I did recently read that Pride's dry dock is now scheduled for October, 2014, so RSLeesburg, if you choose the Pride for your Thanksgiving cruise, you will enjoy the 2.0 upgrades (if they don't again cancel).

Archived