Braids

kac13090

First of all I have to say "DON'T DO IT".

Then, if you must, let the ship's personnel do it. The braid's are very hard to get out when you get home, so be prepared.

The ladies on these island's may be wonderful, but there's no guarantee that their comb's, etc. , are clean :eek:.

JMHO,

First of all I have to say "DON'T DO IT".

Then, if you must, let the ship's personnel do it. The braid's are very hard to get out when you get home, so be prepared.

The ladies on these island's may be wonderful, but there's no guarantee that their comb's, etc. , are clean :eek:.

JMHO,

What kind of braids are they that are very hard to get out??? Maybe one can bring their own comb??? Just curious!!

I agree with the others but if you feel you MUST get their hair braided, I saw an area in Nassau where there were some braiders and I believe that they were in an "official braiders" area. Not sure if that's what they were called but I believe that they were probably allowed to have their own official area instead of being like those who walk around and offer to braid hair. I would also take my own comb & brush. Not sure about the other ports. Have fun :)

ETA: The only braids that I can figure that would be hard to get out are the cornrows. I saw several women with their hair breaded and they also had the beads either on the ends or actually in the braids.

My sister let my niece get her hair braided in Nassau. Biggest regret ever. It was $3/braid, and my sister asked for "big fat braids" to keep the cost down. "No problem!" No problem ended up being 60 of the tiniest braids you've ever seen.

What kind of braids are they that are very hard to get out??? Maybe one can bring their own comb??? Just curious!!

Juno, they are very tight braids. Yes, you could bring your own comb. I would if I were going to get braids.

My 5- year old got her hair braided in Freeport. Begged us to do it for the colorful beads. Lady was very nice. She only did the front. My dd has soft curly hair. I rarely braid it so it wasn't like she was used to it. It wasn't tight. Didn't harm her scalp or hair. I was sure to tell the lady not to braid tight. And she didn't. There's a pic of her and my daughter in my sensation review below.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I really loved my little braids I got in jamaice, I didn't have a problem with the lady doing them and they were 3 dollars for two baby braids but it wasn't against my scalp just strands.

Anywho they were great for over a week! But then it came to taking them out... I almost cut my hair off... instead I had to trim out the GIANT tangle they created...

Just be aware. I liked them a lot none the less.

I had mine done when I was about 22 in Cozumel. I saw people had it done in Jamaica and I was jealous I didn't get any. So I was happy when I saw a stand near the port in Coz. This was like is 1999 or 2000, so I don't know if it's still there. They were $2 a braid and the style was opposite of the Jamaican way of braiding. I guess best way to describe would be the Jamaicans do it with the braid bumped out (braiding with the strands of hair from the inside outwards) and the Mexican way was to bring the outside strands inward. Also in Coz I got cute little flowers made of tiny beads as decoration in pretty pastel colors instead of those giant primary colored raver beads. I just had half cornrows, so it was like a headband holding back my bangs. I got a lot of compliments. :)

But yeah bring your own comb. I didn't even think about that!!!

And when taking out the braids, working conditioner first and wet your hair. It helps.

Archived