Breakaway - Purchasing Photos

mresend

When do you feel is the best night to purchase photos on the Breakaway? I heard they offer different specials on different nights.

There was one night where if you bought the 8 X 10 you got a 5 X 7 free....

can't remember which night.

also, if you buy a print on canvas you get the 8 X 10 free.

Hi, I was on the Breakaway for the week of 9/1, and here's a recap about photos -

I really miss the old times when NCL offered Photo Frenzy (i.e., pay a fix price for all photos you take throughout the cruise). Guess they want to have a more manageable break-even of cost. Unfortunately all the printed photos not purchased will be wasted (or recycled) under this new policy.

8x10" photos are $19.99 each, while 5x7" photos are $12.99 each. They had "specials" per day, like getting free 8x10" ship photo if you buy a folio in Day 1 and Day 7 (another $19.99 for the folio alone, then $19.99 for a 8x10" photo of your choice at left panel, with the free ship photo at right panel, totaling $39.98).

Other specials included 20% off for each photo purchased on Day 3; Free 5x7" duplicate for any picture purchased on Day 5.

If you are seriously thinking of buying lot of photos, you should check out the Photo Gallery at night on either Day 5 or 6 (sorry that I forgot the exact date because this specific bulk sale is not printed on the dailies). This sale has a tiered pricing:

Up to 10 photos: 10% off

11 - 20 photos: 20% off

21 - 30 photos: 30% off

31 - 40 photos: 40% off

41 - 50 photos: 50% off

51 photos and up: 60% off

Some photographers were more patient and willing to take various poses for your party (group, individual, different pairing, etc.) My favorite photographer is Alex.

The USB deal is a bit crazy. They were not very clear in their ads in the dalies. I saw a few very pissed off people that were asking about it only to find out it was not of all your pics but of only the ones you bought. So you paid $20 for the print and then $39 for the usb of the pics. Crazy.

On the POA I saw a complete photo package for something like $399. All photos they took, plus stock photos of the ship and such. Not sure if any other ships have it (POA has some different offerings). I wish they offered an electronic-only option for photos. Ships usually have sales as time goes by, so I'd wait until closer to the end.

I've never understood why folks buy so many photos. We always pose for a bunch of formal photos and buy one (it usually takes 10 to get 1 good one for us), plus a folio to put it in. For the $25 or whatever its a good deal as there isn't a sitting fee. The photos at each port and such seem silly. The folios on POA were a good deal at $10 as they came with the ship pic, plus they gave us probably 6 more smaller ship pics at various locations for some reason, although it was cheaply made. Best wishes.

I have to say I enjoy buying a few professional photos, and plan to when we go on our Getaway cruise next March. We are traveling together as a group of 8 (my inlaws). It is my understanding that when you first board there is a photographer taking pictures of the group. Does he put a copy of the group picture into everyone's bin (or online acct). It will just get confusing if I have to ask all the relatives which one happened to get that picture. I'm the one that's going to do the scrapbook album for everyone, so want to make sure I get the first group onboard picture.

Thanks,

Karen

I believe they just put all the photos out on boards, so if one of your relatives grabs the photo and buys it, there wouldn't be another one. We didn't have any sort of tag for any photos associated with us, so I'm not sure if they could look it up easily on the computer. However, if you remember your embarkation time, I imagine you could look through them all from that time frame if worse came to worse.

They will also have other photo opportunities: on several nights, at each port, sometimes at restaurants, plus you could book a free sitting (even off the ship). I wish we would have done the off the ship free sitting, as that is a good deal. They had fliers in the Dailies that listed the evening photo opportunities.

In the atrium one day we even got a glossy handout that showed what background on each night, which was very helpful. Its the same for all photos...they are just put out, so I don't know how it works with a group if someone grabs it but others want it too. You might want to request ahead of time that your group lets you buy the photos? Best wishes.

I believe they just put all the photos out on boards, so if one of your relatives grabs the photo and buys it, there wouldn't be another one. We didn't have any sort of tag for any photos associated with us, so I'm not sure if they could look it up easily on the computer. However, if you remember your embarkation time, I imagine you could look through them all from that time frame if worse came to worse.

They will also have other photo opportunities: on several nights, at each port, sometimes at restaurants, plus you could book a free sitting (even off the ship). I wish we would have done the off the ship free sitting, as that is a good deal. They had fliers in the Dailies that listed the evening photo opportunities.

In the atrium one day we even got a glossy handout that showed what background on each night, which was very helpful. Its the same for all photos...they are just put out, so I don't know how it works with a group if someone grabs it but others want it too. You might want to request ahead of time that your group lets you buy the photos? Best wishes.

You can call up all of the photos in your folio at any time on the screens provided. The actual prints are kept in loose leaf files for you to browse which are locked away when the photo gallery is closed. The relevant file number is printed on your keycard.

So you could order reprints as you wish. when they take a picture they will either swipe your card or ask for your cabin number.

In fact, one of the pictures we wanted had some damage on it so we asked them to reprint in at 1030 on the last night. It was ready for collection at 1130pm. There was a family in front of us who were submitting a very big order ($250) and they were asking for re-crops and all sorts of things. It didn't seem to be a problem to accommodate them. I even thought of asking them to photoshop out something in the background but thought that was pushing it at that time of night!

Archived