MSC Opera. Drinks Packages??

penrosepair

Hello Everyone,

We are new to this forum and MSC. We have booked a cruise on the Opera from Southampton for next summer. Although we were pleasantly surprised at the price of the cruise, having booked we were astounded at the cost of the drinks packages! We are now wondering if this is how they justify such low sailing prices?

Can anyone tell us if prices on board are higher than average, and whether it is worthwhile to invest in a package? The premium package has been quoted as being £900 for 3 of us!! And the standard package has been quoted at £500. ( 2 adults & a teenager)

We are NOT heavy drinkers but enjoy a glass of wine or 2 with our meals. I enjoy an occasional cocktail and my husband enjoys the occasional beer. And our teenager only drinks soft drinks. We cannot see how we could spend this amount of money on drinks!!

Any ideas of our best option?

Thanks for reading.

Hello Everyone,

We are new to this forum and MSC. We have booked a cruise on the Opera from Southampton for next summer. Although we were pleasantly surprised at the price of the cruise, having booked we were astounded at the cost of the drinks packages! We are now wondering if this is how they justify such low sailing prices?

Can anyone tell us if prices on board are higher than average, and whether it is worthwhile to invest in a package? The premium package has been quoted as being £900 for 3 of us!! And the standard package has been quoted at £500. ( 2 adults & a teenager)

We are NOT heavy drinkers but enjoy a glass of wine or 2 with our meals. I enjoy an occasional cocktail and my husband enjoys the occasional beer. And our teenager only drinks soft drinks. We cannot see how we could spend this amount of money on drinks!!

Any ideas of our best option?

Thanks for reading.

I cruised on Opera in July of this year and had the Allegrissimmo package (not the premium) and found that we spent on average £35 per person per day, total "spend" for two people for 10 days was £700 .The cost of our package was £20pppd, or £400 for two people for 10 days. Total savings £300.

We ,like you, are only light drinkers and your 2 glasses of wine with meals plus the occasional cocktail and beer is an exact fit with our drinking profile.

Other drinks we had included freshly squeezed OJ with breakfast and some lunches , bottles of water for off the boat, soft drinks in the afternoons ,coffees after dinner and of course the proper ice cream.

So i would recomend the Allegrissimo, but not the premium.

you can read my review ,

Here is a quote from someone

Hi

Many thanks for the review, by far the best and most helpful we have come across!

Especially loved the section on "secret places" - we will definitely use these. Are there any inside the ship?

LINK TO REVIEW

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=6463

Pete

If you read the thread on the link below and look at post #7 there are links to my skydrive which has the complete bar price list and wine list for MSC mediterannean cruises this year.

NOTE any drink with RED * next to it , or under a heading with the * next to it is NOT included in the Alligrissssimo package. So some cocktails, bottled beers and premium spirits are exclude. but that still leaves 20 cocktails and draught beer

NB 15% service charge is added to drinks you buy, but not if you are on a package

link

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917684

pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi thanks for your reply. Thats really helpful and I'm sure we will purchase the package!

On a separate note, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but i've noticed i've used the wrong icon against this message but am unable to find a way to edit it??

It says at the bottom, where it tells you what you are allowed to do that I CAN edit my posts. But I cant see an edit button against my post. I've posted on many forums in the past so I consider myself to be ofay with this sort of thing! Any ideas??

Hi thanks for your reply. Thats really helpful and I'm sure we will purchase the package!

On a separate note, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but i've noticed i've used the wrong icon against this message but am unable to find a way to edit it??

It says at the bottom, where it tells you what you are allowed to do that I CAN edit my posts. But I cant see an edit button against my post. I've posted on many forums in the past so I consider myself to be ofay with this sort of thing! Any ideas??

There is an imposed time limit, of either 10 or 20 minutes (can't remember which), from the original posting time in which to do edits, after that it can't be editted

pete

Edited by Skier52

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we are going on the cruise next year with our 4 year old

we have never been on a cruise before so we are in the 'same boat' :) what date are you going? we are july 9th from southampton port email us alexsneddon@live.co.uk

Hi Alex.

I'm on the cruise before yours. I'll leave her tidy and with a little fuel to get you going.

• 1 month later...
I really wish other cruise lines would offer drinks packages like msc and Thomson do. Even if you're a light drinker I think it's worth it??? It may seem like a lot of dou upfront but overall it's really not

Costa have an all inclusive package similar in proce and content to MSc's Allegrissimo

we do not drink a great deal at home but once again made full use of our Allegrissimo Classic package (but at standard Allegrissimo price of £20 instead of £26) on the repo cruise and managed to fit in an extra £80 worth of Drinks, Ice Cream etc, that probably may have been more but for the port days.

The £20 a day soon goes with just a few drinks and as Pete and others have said and well worth the money.... :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does his mean that anything not marked with a red * is covered by the Premium package as long as it isn't wine by the bottle and only by the glass? We're white wine and beer drinkers and the bottled beer option and better selection of wines would be our preference?

Does his mean that anything not marked with a red * is covered by the Premium package as long as it isn't wine by the bottle and only by the glass? We're white wine and beer drinkers and the bottled beer option and better selection of wines would be our preference?

The red asterik are the exclusions on the basic Allegrissimo not the the premium package.

You can have any drink from the bar list with the exceptions as highlighted in

the quote below. So you can have wine by the glass (as defined on the bar list) and I presume on the wine list in the MDR as well as bottled beer. There is a section for wines by the glass on the MDR wine list.

The RED * are the exculsions on the BASIC package

Here is the official wording from the UK MSC web site as of 5 minutes ago

allegrissimo_premium200x44_tcm13-57145.pngALLEGRISSIMO PREMIUM ADULT- £35 (per day)

Unlimited consumption of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages including wine (from the "by the glass" menu), draft and bottled beer, soft drinks, mineral water, hot drinks and all drinks from the bar (including champagne cocktails, single malt whiskies, superior brandies and other premium spirits), drinks from your minibar and mineral water in your cabin, as well as all items from the 'Gelateria' menu and Pastry Shop and food from the Room Service menu.

ALLEGRISSIMO PREMIUM CHILD- £18 (per day)

Unlimited soft drinks from the bar (including energizers, fruit juices, mineral water, hot drinks, virgin cocktails, smoothies and milkshakes), non-alcoholic drinks and snacks from your minibar and mineral water in your cabin, as well as all items from the 'Gelateria' menu and Pastry Shop and food from the Room Service menu.

This offer is available on selected departures (Canary Islands, Mediterranean, Northern Europe, United Arab Emirates and Antilles, including MSC Grand Voyages to Winter destinations and MSC Grand Voyages from United Arab Emirates and Antilles and Caribbean). The following items are not included in this offer: cigars, cigarettes, bottles of wine, sparkling wine and champagne, souvenir glasses and drinks served in souvenir glasses, all food served in Speciality Bars and Restaurants.The package must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for infants under 3 years old (i.e. who have not yet reached their 3rd birthday). The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except for the day of disembarkation. The package is for personal use only and valid for one order at a time. The ID card is non-transferrable. Abusing the terms of the allinclusive package may cause the ser vice to be withdrawn and the remaining days not to be refunded.

I cruised on Opera in July of this year and had the Allegrissimmo package (not the premium) and found that we spent on average £35 per person per day, total "spend" for two people for 10 days was £700 .The cost of our package was £20pppd, or £400 for two people for 10 days. Total savings £300.

We ,like you, are only light drinkers and your 2 glasses of wine with meals plus the occasional cocktail and beer is an exact fit with our drinking profile.

Other drinks we had included freshly squeezed OJ with breakfast and some lunches , bottles of water for off the boat, soft drinks in the afternoons ,coffees after dinner and of course the proper ice cream.

So i would recomend the Allegrissimo, but not the premium.

you can read my review ,

Here is a quote from someone

LINK TO REVIEW

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=6463

Pete

Hi Pete,

Just read your review and enjoyed it thanks

We've only cruised with Thomson. I say only, we LOVE Thomson's (9 cruises) but i was wanting an insight into MSC so thankyou.

Have you cruised with Thomson before and if so what are the main differences?

Hi Pete,

Just read your review and enjoyed it thanks

We've only cruised with Thomson. I say only, we LOVE Thomson's (9 cruises) but i was wanting an insight into MSC so thankyou.

i'm sorry, I haven't cruised with Thomson so I can't give you a comparison.

MSC and Thomson are completely different in almost every regard.

MSC has an international passenger demographic, many different languages spoken on board, compared to Thomson's all UK passengers.

MSC ships are almost brand new - clean, sparkling and nice spacious cabins at all grades.

MSC food is Italian / International in nature - quite unlike the Thomson food. Which you prefer is up to you.

Thomson entertainment is far better - MSC have to cater for various languages, so production shows are mainly dance, bar entertainment mainly music, not much in the way of quizzes.

MSC has a tipping system - a daily charge and 15% with drinks, while Thomson has tips included in base price.

Both cruise lines have their own charm - but don't expect MSC to be just like Thomson. They are a completely different product, aimed at a generally different market.

I've enjoyed both - and would be happy to go back to both. (But I prefer Princess above all others)

From speaking to passengers onboard who have sailed with Thomson and friends who have the biggest difference you'd experience are the ships and culture. MSCs ships are vry much newer and more attractive. I may have picked this up wrong, but I have the impression that Thomson cruises are very much geared towards and catering for Brits in terms of food! entertainment and how things are done? MSC makes a few "adjustments" for sailings out of the UK but are very much Mediterranean with very heavy Italian slant. So expect different passenger mix, different food, different entertainment (that has to cater for multiple languages) and different behaviour from passengers. It is not going to be a British cruise.