Review of Russian River Cruise Nikolay Chernshevsky

squarevanman

My cruise took place from 17th to 28th September. There is no need to comment on the itinerary as most of the Russian cruises follow the same path (so to speak). In fact we seemed to be with one of the Viking ships plus another ship from our company used by Gate 1 for most of the time.

Upon arrival at Moscow I was met by both a representative of the shipping line and a rep of the tour operator organising the holiday from the UK. I met another 5 people on the same trip and we were transfered to the river port with a party of French speakers. The Moscow traffic was at its best and it only took 3 hours to reach the port. Later arrivals had a 4 hour transfer! Upon arrival I was pointed in the direction of my cabin which was right by reception - no need to be shown to it :) and I was surprised my single cabin was actually a twin for sole use. The ship itself was running at a high capacity and we had groups/individuals from at least UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA.

The ship had two restaurants one of which doubled as the entertainment bar after 9.30 plus 2 bars one with classical concerts on some nights and a small bar where wifi was available. Entertainment was a ballroom dancing couple, a singer and musician, a folk dancer/singer and musician plus a pianist. We also had a passenger talent show and some entertainment from the on board guides. The ship was spotless and well maintained.

The onboard guides and tour company reps were always available when needed and were not trying to push passengers into signing up for optional excursions. Local guides were of a very good quality and spoke good English. I read elsewhere guides tended to rush especially in Moscow. We had passengers with walking sticks (one being me) and one chap often using a wheelchair. We had no major problems in keeping up even in Red Square. It was interesting that the local guide took the lead position and our onboard guide always took to the rear to ensure no one was left behind.

Food was of a good standard with buffet at breakfast with open seating and service for lunch and dinner at set seating. Main courses were mainly beef, lamb, pork, chicken or fish with a vegetarian option available.

As I stated earlier my cabin was a twin for sole use. Making friends on board I saw one of the single cabins and one of the suites. If you tend to stay in your cabin then you could have found them rather small. Personally I do not spend much time in my cabin and would have been very happy in the single. I have seen posts on CC about the ammount of time we river cruisers spend in our cabins. For the 11 nights on board apart from sleeping, washing changing etc. I spent a total of 2 hours downtime in my cabin.

I know tipping can be a very interesting subject. On this cruise an envelope was left in our cabins and we could place any tip therein and leave in a box outside the restaurant.

Although this was only my 3rd river/canal cruise out of a total of 10 cruises in all I can safely say this was one of the best holidays I have ever had (even with the delay reported in another thread). Now looking forward to rivers in Portugal next year and hopefully Ukraine in 2015

I didn't realize that the "Nikolay Chernshevsky" was still in service! We sailed on it with Vantage a few years ago. It is an older ship and has been replaced in their fleet by more modern ships. But we loved it. It had a lot of character... especially the one-size-fits-all bathroom/shower!! Tiny cabin for 2, though! Many onboard did not share our love but we found it delightful! The food was "different"... definitely with a Russian flavor! Great trip!

Thanks for the review. I have been looking for a review from someone who took this cruise, on this ship. I have booked the St. Petersburg to Moscow cruise next September. Two questions, how was smoking on the ship handled? I know smoking is allowed outside, I hope it is limited to a certain area like aft. How dressed up were folks on the Welcome and Farwell dinner nights? I would rather not take a garment bag if possible. I hope dress pants with a nice top will do. I am expecting a great cruise. I don't mind the interesting shower or a small cabin. I don't think that will be a problem since I was aware of those things when I purchased the cruise. Thanks, any info is deeply appreciated.

June

Dear June,

We were docked next to the Nicolay in St. Petersburg on the Lev Tolstoy, a newer ship. We caution everyone planning this cruise to make sure you get a tour that puts you up in hotels

at both ends!

The traffic in Moscow and St. Petersburg is horrendous. The ships are docked some distance from the city, and you would spend half a day getting to and from the ship.

We went with Vantage and were very happy with them. IMO, they give you the most bang for a buck.

The story and pictures of our trip are on our website. We are happy to answer any questions.

June

Smoking was permitted aft behind the restaurants. Being one of the ex smoker brigade who notices it more I can honestly say very few passengers actually smoked. I saw a mix of dresses, trouser (pants) with tops and skirts with tops. Gents mixed again with suit and tie others jacket and tie and some no jacket no tie.

I agree with Talisker92 about Moscow traffic being bad. Just checked my photo time stamps and we took 1 hour 35 mins from ship to our first sightseing stop at New Maiden Convent. St Petersburg was a little better at 1 hour 27. However both times we lunched at hotels in the city to continue sightseeing in the afternoon.

I am sure you will have a great time next year and look forward to seeing your comments when you get back.

Talisker92 and squarevanman,

Thank you both very much. Both of those issues will be fine with me. I will just stay forward if someone is smoking aft. I love to be prepared for things. Traffic will remind me of New York and Miami. I will plan on staying in both cities before and after the cruise. Thanks again, I appreciate your kindness in answering my questions. I know I will have a great time.

June

Talisker92 and squarevanman,

Thank you both very much. Both of those issues will be fine with me. I will just stay forward if someone is smoking aft. I love to be prepared for things. Traffic will remind me of New York and Miami. I will plan on staying in both cities before and after the cruise. Thanks again, I appreciate your kindness in answering my questions. I know I will have a great time.

June

You will LOVE this trip!! I went with Vantage and we stayed in hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I'm glad to hear you are staying on in both cities, there is so much to see in both of them. When in St. Pete, I recommend a little restaurant called "Soviet Cafe" it's on the Nevsky Prospect and the food was outstanding and reasonably priced. Since you mention NYC, let me say that this restaurant will remind you of NY as well....it's below street level!! Unfortunately, neither NYC nor Miami traffic can compare with Moscow and SP.....think Cairo or Istanbul! It's insane and beware little cars driving on the sidewalk!! I have a picture!!:D

Glad to hear that you are doing pre/post stays in hotels. Wish we had more time in both Moscow and St. Petersburg. The long rides in the bus are really horrendous! But we had a great guide and learned a lot of history on our way into the city!

There were quite a few smokers on our ship -- probably due to the fact that we had several European groups as well as our American group. But the smoke was confined to outdoor areas.

No one dressed up at all for any of the dinners.

Enjoy your trip!

You will LOVE this trip!! I went with Vantage and we stayed in hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I'm glad to hear you are staying on in both cities, there is so much to see in both of them. When in St. Pete, I recommend a little restaurant called "Soviet Cafe" it's on the Nevsky Prospect and the food was outstanding and reasonably priced. Since you mention NYC, let me say that this restaurant will remind you of NY as well....it's below street level!! Unfortunately, neither NYC nor Miami traffic can compare with Moscow and SP.....think Cairo or Istanbul! It's insane and beware little cars driving on the sidewalk!! I have a picture!!:D

I agree with Hydrokitty about the Soviet Cafe- we ate there 3 times! Across the street is a Chinese restaurant called Nihau but the sign is in Cyrillic "Нихаo". Their menu is in Russian, Chinese and English, and has pictures of every dish.

You all have been great with your time and information. I will try the Soviet Cafe for sure and the Chinese restaurant if I have enough time. I love Chinese food. Other than with tours, I plan on using public transportation. I found public transportation very efficient in Europe. I hope it is the same in Russia. I didn't notice bad traffic in Cairo, maybe we were there on a weekend? I have never been to Istanbul but Miami in the rain is crazy. Cars on the sidewalk wow, Istanbul beats Miami hands down! My head will be on a swivel when walking around. A few more questions please?

1) Does anyone have any recommendations on hotels in both cities?

2) Does anyone recommend any good companies to use for applying for a Russian Visa?

3) I plan on taking a train from Moscow to the ship and from the ship to the airport. I think I will also take a train to tour the city on my own after the cruise. Do you think that will cut down on time? Do you think it is a good idea to do this? I would like to do the same in Saint Petersburg but haven't looked at at their subway map yet? Plus I don't know where the ships dock in Saint Petersburg, anyone know? I think the ships dock in the North Port in Moscow, am I right?

Thanks again everyone, you have all been great. Take care.

June

Dear June,

I think you can Google the metro maps for both cities. But, there is no subway that goes to the airport in either city.

We used Genvisa for our Visa, and the first thing you have to do is register on a Russian website before requesting the visa.

You can reach them at genvisa.com

marlin1357

Correct about Moscow river port. Not sure where in St. Petersburg but there is a free shuttle from the dock to the nearest metro station. This was used by some of the passengers on my trip. There was a timetable on board. Would think your shipping line could tell you about it.

I found a map of the trains in St. Petersburg, looks easy to get around. Talisker92, I went to your website and it was very good and informative, thanks for sharing. I am trying to talk my son into going on this trip, I hope I can. Thank you both very much for all your input.

I found a map of the trains in St. Petersburg, looks easy to get around. Talisker92, I went to your website and it was very go stod and informative, thanks for sharing. I am trying to talk my son into going on this trip, I hope I can. Thank you both very much for all your input.

We used the subways (underground) in both cities and found it very easy to navigate and if you get lost look for a young student and ask for help....we found young people delightful and very curious about all things American...one absolutely gorgeous 20 something actually walked us to where we wanted to go and insisted because she wanted

to practice my English on you"....I don't know where we docked in st. P. but it took over an hour to get to the hotel. Vantage put us up in the Mariott Grand Hotel in Moscow which was wonderfully located within walking distance of Red Square (not short walking distance, but walking distance) In St. Pete we were at the Corinthia Hotel and Soviet Café was like 1 block to your left as you exited the hotel lobby. Both of these were 5 star hotels and you can probably find less expensive ones. If you May, 2012. The cost was $200 each and the $69 was for insured fed ex delivery. Vantage sent us the applications and explicit instructions so I don't know about having to register at a web site or anything. Make sure you have the dumplings (blini) filled with cherries at the soviet café! for that matter, have the cherry blinis anywhere you can because here in the States I can only get them filled with cheese, potato or sauerkraut and the cherry ones are simply to die for:D As for your son, he would probably love this trip. Russia was a wonderful surprise at every turn and has over-taken Egypt as my favorite trip in the world.

We used the subways (underground) in both . If you May, 2012. The cost was $200 each and the $69 was for insured fed ex delivery. Vantage sent us the applications and explicit instructions so I don't know about having to register at a web site or anything. Make sure you have the dumplings (blini) filled with cherries at the soviet café! for that matter, have the cherry blinis anywhere you can because here in the States I can only get them filled with cheese, potato or sauerkraut and the cherry ones are simply to die for:D As for your son, he would probably love this trip. Russia was a wonderful surprise at every turn and has over-taken Egypt as my favorite trip in the world.

Cat stepped on keyboard and erased large portion of second paragraph!! Hotels: if you check most of the big chains like Hilton, Marriott, etc they all have properties in both cities and could be less expensive than the Marriott Grand or Corinthian.

Visa: we used GenVisa and the cost was $469 for two Visas and that was in May, 2012.

Public Trans: Buses also run on the main streets and there's a trolley in St. Petersburg as well.

Archived