Uniworld vs Viking

agelessgram

My husband and I are planning our first river cruise in Nov 2014 and thinking of Portugal. I have been reading both sites, Viking and Uniworld, and since we would like to go in early Nov or late October our choices are very limited. I am hoping that you can offer me insight on both of these river cruise companies to help me lean toward one or the other cruises. It appears that the itineraries and cabins are similar but what about staff, food, shore excursions, extras. We will get our own air as we will arrive early and fly to Madrid after the cruise. We are active seniors and love to travel. Thanking you in advance for all of your insight on these two companies.

Sue NJ

I have not sailed Viking but recently returned from my first river cruise on Uniworld. We were pleased and will probably book another one in 2015. Of course in 2014 Uniworld will become all inclusive meaning that all alcoholic beverages, sodas, juices etc will be included as well as both onboard crew and on land tour gratuities. I think all shore excursions will be included also. These are not included with Viking, so Uniworld will cost more. If you don't drink, then I think it would be hard to justify the price difference. The same cruise I just took will cost $725 per person more next year. In investigating comparable cruises on Viking and Uniworld, check cabin size, the number of passengers, and the number of crew. I have noticed that there is a higher ratio of crew to passengers on Uniworld than on Viking. All things being equal, that should result in better service. We thought the service was good. We thought the Uniworld tours were excellent. They do a gentle walker group and a regular walkers group. That works out well. They also seemed to break the groups up into only 15 or 20 people and with the Quiet Boxes they use this really was nice. I suggest getting your travel agent to send you brochures so you can really compare things page by page. Good luck and I hope this helped.

• 5 weeks later...

We just got back from uniworld castles on the Rhine but have never sailed Viking, only walked thru a ship docked next door.

Uniworld was fantastic with all the little touches you did not expect like hot water bottles in blankets on the sun deck on a cool cruising day. Hot towels and hot chocolate or punch after a days excursion.

Uniworld decor is over the top while Viking is plain modern. Watch room sizes and chairs. We selected uniworld because of room size and one of the few cruise lines with 2 chairs in the room.

... in 2014 Uniworld will become all inclusive meaning that all alcoholic beverages, sodas, juices etc will be included as well as both onboard crew and on land tour gratuities. I think all shore excursions will be included also. These are not included with Viking, so Uniworld will cost more...

I would recheck for accuracy the assertion that Viking is not all inclusive.

Viking has a webpage regarding their all inclusive policy. See below:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/about/allinclusive.aspx

I would recheck for accuracy the assertion that Viking is not all inclusive.

Viking has a webpage regarding their all inclusive policy. See below:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/about/allinclusive.aspx

Viking's all-inclusive means wine/beer with lunch and dinner, transfers if you buy their air, and an included excursion in each port.

It does not cover gratuities (which Uniworld does). Not does it include transfers if you buy your own air (which Uniworld does).

All inclusive doesn't mean "free" in most cases... it means that the up-front price is usually higher to cover all of those costs. You just don't have the outlay at the end of the cruise.

Fran

Viking's all-inclusive means wine/beer with lunch and dinner, transfers if you buy their air, and an included excursion in each port.

It does not cover gratuities (which Uniworld does). Not does it include transfers if you buy your own air (which Uniworld does).

All inclusive doesn't mean "free" in most cases... it means that the up-front price is usually higher to cover all of those costs. You just don't have the outlay at the end of the cruise.

Fran

Fran, thanks for the clarification. I guess each company has its own definition of what constitutes "all-inclusive." I was commenting on a previous poster's assertion that Viking didn't have alcoholic beverages and shore excursions included in the price.

Fran, thanks for the clarification. I guess each company has its own definition of what constitutes "all-inclusive." I was commenting on a previous poster's assertion that Viking didn't have alcoholic beverages and shore excursions included in the price.

You are right - they all have their own definition.

I believe Uniworld will have an open-bar policy for 2014 - same as Scenic.

Not sure if they will be doing away with optional excursions as well (ie: all included if you wish to go on them...).

It is the degree of "all inclusive" that in the end drives the price. Some people are happy to pay up front and end the cruise without any extra charges. Some would prefer to "pay as they go"....

To each his own....

Fran

• 3 weeks later...

Its useful to gather as much information as possible from those with previous experience, and your effort is to be praised. However, consider:

(1) Cruise Critic postings, in general, suffer from subjective report in that "If I did it, it must be good." -- that is, the posting of negative experiences, in general, is few and far-between. For example, our Baltic Cruise would have been much improved if I had been prepared for the lack of friendliness/hospitality found in our two days in Saint Petersberg. Of course, if you have specific questions as to what somebody did in a specific port or whether a specific location on a popular ocean ship was good for a cabin, this is very useful.

(2) River cruise passengers are not well hooked-up to Cruise Critic and with groups of 200 passengers or less, the chance of a Roll Call defined as at least two couples on the same ship and date is very unlikely. Have been looking for a review of a Rhine sailing on one of the new Viking longboats from 2012 and 2013 with no luck! On the other hand, know from a very early effort last spring for June/July 2014 sailings between Amsterdam and Basel that many classes of cabins were closed more than a year in advance which was very frustrating!

(3) Consider the length of your vacation. Are you going from flight to vessel to flight or do you have additional time to spend before or after cruise? Regions involved and transportation options? We found that a decision about time in Switzerland seemed both too complicated and too expensive, but we were happy with Amsterdam as a gateway to both a lot of western Europe via rail as well as Amsterdam as a port.

(4) Don't be surprised by weather! I swear that some people find a date with a great price and then don't consider why the price is so great (and the date is not in such great demand?). Sometimes retired people have an advantage over folks limited by traditional vacation dates and school holidays (we are doing a cruise the week before Christmas week for 1/3 of the posted price the next week) and sometimes there are other reasons for reduced prices (versus last-minute sales to fill a few cabins). Not surprising, winter holiday river cruises are very popular for visiting multiple Christmas markets in Europe -- but don't be surprised when you see film (do go on utube!) of empty snow-covered "sun decks" and people in ski jackets. Have no experience with Portugal or whether you will spend time in Lisbon or along the coast or southern Spain as well. We tend to want to not be surprised about the weather we will meet, although we can handle multiple cool as well as multiple warm/very warm days -- just be prepared!

Good luck on making your decision (it will be very hard to start with any river cruise itinerary and find the same person who will have experienced both or multiple companies.

DJ:)