Wine selection at San Juan Cruise Terminal

:confused:Hi folks,

I'm taking the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan on 11/23 and looking to pickup my (2) permitted bottles of an EXCELLENT wine per stateroom for the trip from the selection at the duty free liquor store at the cruise terminal. I have have been to their website, but I can't determine exactly what wine products are available or if I can even get a respectable Chianti or other red wine. The site doesn't list their products? Many on Cruise Critic say wine selections are very limited.

Should I pack a few bottles in my luggage and risk breakage before leaving Philly or hope for the best at the cruise terminal. Any recent first hand experience and links to wine products on the San Juan cruise terminal website would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I'm taking the Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan on 11/23 and looking to pickup my (2) permitted bottles of an EXCELLENT wine per stateroom for the trip from the selection at the duty free liquor store at the cruise terminal. I have have been to their website, but I can't determine exactly what wine products are available or if I can even get a respectable Chianti or other red wine. The site doesn't list their products? Many on Cruise Critic say wine selections are very limited.

Should I pack a few bottles in my luggage and risk breakage before leaving Philly or hope for the best at the cruise terminal. Any recent first hand experience and links to wine products on the San Juan cruise terminal website would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

We will be leaving Phila to take the Jewel on the day you return.

Do not buy in Phila as you are taking a huge risk of breakage. Buy your wine in the San Juan airport after you get off your plane. Good selection of premium wines at great prices.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Yes it is very limited. I brought mine from home. Packed in bubble wrap and took out of luggage once we got it at the airport and put in my carry on. Not a big deal at all and nothing broken.

Yes it is very limited. I brought mine from home. Packed in bubble wrap and took out of luggage once we got it at the airport and put in my carry on. Not a big deal at all and nothing broken.

DO NOT TAKE THE CHANCE. We have had breakage on trip home with overly protective wrapping. Worst thing would be to open your luggage first day on ship and have everything coated in wine. Too easy to grab at airport when you arrive. They have many the same quality wines we get here in PA.

In Which Terminal is the duty free store?

Wow. I actually can not answer that. We have flown Usair and United into SJ and came into same terminal both times however I have to assume there is one in each terminal if you can not access it from both.

We will be leaving Phila to take the Jewel on the day you return.

Do not buy in Phila as you are taking a huge risk of breakage. Buy your wine in the San Juan airport after you get off your plane. Good selection of premium wines at great prices.

very good selection

Thanks,

Depending on your timing, there is a Pueblo grocery store right there in Isla Verde, by the San Juan airport. If you're taking a taxi to Pier, you could think about stopping there 1st to pick up some vino.

Walk into Pueblo doors, turn left (past cashiers) for their wine dept. Good selection. They also have rum, beer, vodka, etc.

Hope this helps,

NJ :)

I stand corrected. I was being conservative. You are correct it is a very good selection at the SJ airport.

All,

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the selection at the SJU airport is very good, but at the Pan American cruise terminal not so great. My understanding is you can't buy wine at the airport in San Juan unless you are flying outbound, but I may be wrong.

Either way, it sounds like putting it in my luggage isn't worth the risk as mein18 pointed out. I don't want to get stuck with some crappy wine for the sail away party on my aft deck, but definately don't want the suprise of a broken bottle destroying all my luggage for the week. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks!

All,

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the selection at the SJU airport is very good, but at the Pan American cruise terminal not so great. My understanding is you can't buy wine at the airport in San Juan unless you are flying outbound, but I may be wrong.

Either way, it sounds like putting it in my luggage isn't worth the risk as mein18 pointed out. I don't want to get stuck with some crappy wine for the sail away party on my aft deck, but definately don't want the suprise of a broken bottle destroying all my luggage for the week. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks!

In old San Juan there are many places to purchase wine and you could ask the taxi driver to stop at a store to pick up needed supplies on the way to the ship exp. if there are 2 of you or more going to the ship.

All,

Thanks!

Never thought that you may not be able to purchase duty free when inbound. In any case there are many other places to purchase in SJ.

Archived