Question on Dress Code for Chop's or Portofino

We are probably going to eat at Chop's or Portofino one night on our upcoming Radiance cruise in Alaska. What is dress code? Are jackets required for men - what have you seen people dressed in?

Any recommendations of which restaurant is better?

• 3 weeks later...

So are Dockers and a golf shirt unacceptable? We were thinking of going to Chops and/or Portifino on our formal nights, any foregoing tux's/formals, but if they require sport coats/ties we may as well pack the formal clothes. Do many go to Chops/Portifino in their formal attire?

thank you

Any difference on Alaska cruise - I heard they were more casual

We were told at the time we made our reservations in Portofino, Serenade to Alaska last month, that the dress code is ALWAYS smart casual at the least. On nights that are just regular casual in the main dining room, the specialty restaurants are still a step up from that. And formal nights in the dining room are formal nights in Portofino and Chops.

Of course everyone interprets formal to mean what they want. Semi-formal, cocktail dresses, sport coat and tie would all pass without anyone giving you the "look".

But dockers and a golf shirt would be out of place. But who knows, they probably wouldn't kick anyone out anyway. Have they ever kicked anyone out of any dining area on a ship?

So are Dockers and a golf shirt unacceptable? We were thinking of going to Chops and/or Portifino on our formal nights, any foregoing tux's/formals, but if they require sport coats/ties we may as well pack the formal clothes. Do many go to Chops/Portifino in their formal attire?

thank you

Formal night in the dining room is also formal night in Chops and Portofino. All the other nights are smart casual in the specialty restaurants even when they are casual in the dining room. They made this clear to us when we made our dinner reservations.

Re: which one is better questions. Probably a taste issue. We preferred Chops because we like a great steakhouse. Portofino's was more Italian which was very good also. We did both and would do both again if that helps!!

We just got back from an Alaska cruise and I noticed two big differences in Caribbean and Alaska cruises at these restaurants.

1. Both Portofinos and Chops had several open tables on the Alaska cruise. On the Caribbean cruises I've been on, you can have a tough time getting a reservation.

2. I did not see one man wearing a suit or jacket at Chops or Portofinos. The dress on a Caribbean cruise is noticably more formal.

Just my observations.

Archived