June 2014 Alaska Cruise *& Tour on our own

bioengr

Family of 4 (55M, 52F, 23M, 20F) planning our first trip to AK in June '14. Have booked a southbound cruise on the Coral Princess and plan to arrive in Anchorage 4 days early to tour a bit on our own. Below is our itinerary and a few questions. Would appreciate answers and suggestions.

Day 1 Jun 17 Fly from CA to ANC (5 hrs 40 m) arr 4:10 pm. Given the long days, planning to drive north that evening

Day 2 Jun 18 Tour complete trip to Denali

Day 3 Jun 19 Tour Denali

Day 4 Jun 20 Drive to back to Anchorage

Day 5 Jun 21 Check in for cruise

Day 6 Jun 22 Hubbard Glacier

Day 7 Jun 23 Glacier Bay

Day 8 Jun 24 Skagway - Considering bus and train to White Pass

Day 9 Jun 25 Juneau - Mt. Roberts tram

Day 10 Jun 26 Ketchikan - Boys go fishing, girls shopping

Day 11 Jun 27 At sea

Day 12 Jun 28 Vancouver. Port at 7:30. Fly home at 1:20 pm. We've been to Vancouver and I think we'll be ready to call it a trip.

Questions

1. Want to take 1 plane or helicopter to either a glacier, Denali or ? There seems to be several good options. Where would you do it?

2. I know our time in Denali is short. Any recommendations on what to focus on?

3. For the boys fishing trip in Ketchikan, any recommendations on a good private operator? Several (Seamist, Nothern Lights, AAA) seem good.

4. Any other "can't miss" excursions?

Family of 4 (55M, 52F, 23M, 20F) planning our first trip to AK in June '14. Have booked a southbound cruise on the Coral Princess and plan to arrive in Anchorage 4 days early to tour a bit on our own. Below is our itinerary and a few questions. Would appreciate answers and suggestions.

Day 1 Jun 17 Fly from CA to ANC (5 hrs 40 m) arr 4:10 pm. Given the long days, planning to drive north that evening

Day 2 Jun 18 Tour complete trip to Denali

Day 3 Jun 19 Tour Denali

Day 4 Jun 20 Drive to back to Anchorage

Day 5 Jun 21 Check in for cruise

Day 6 Jun 22 Hubbard Glacier

Day 7 Jun 23 Glacier Bay

Day 8 Jun 24 Skagway - Considering bus and train to White Pass

Day 9 Jun 25 Juneau - Mt. Roberts tram

Day 10 Jun 26 Ketchikan - Boys go fishing, girls shopping

Day 11 Jun 27 At sea

Day 12 Jun 28 Vancouver. Port at 7:30. Fly home at 1:20 pm. We've been to Vancouver and I think we'll be ready to call it a trip.

Questions

1. Want to take 1 plane or helicopter to either a glacier, Denali or ? There seems to be several good options. Where would you do it?

2. I know our time in Denali is short. Any recommendations on what to focus on?

3. For the boys fishing trip in Ketchikan, any recommendations on a good private operator? Several (Seamist, Nothern Lights, AAA) seem good.

4. Any other "can't miss" excursions?

You can certainly see a LOT on your drive, mainland Alaska. Do you have THE MILEPOST? Try your library. Look it over for areas of interest. I would highly recommend also consideration for a Prince William Sound boat tour. This fits in well with embarkation day. I never suggest rushing to get on any ship. :)

Juneau is really "weak", do NOT book Mt Roberts in advance, easy walk up access. If you can not see the top, forget it. I would suggest you look at a glacier helicopter landing, some savings going independent.

Your focus at Denali should be getting the shuttle bus to at least Eielson, and making a grocery stop by Wasilla. Reservations DO have to be made in advance, with limited time there.

Going independent with a combo tour out of Skagway, offers smaller buses/shuttles and more personal tours. There are several to choose from. Be sure to read all the descriptions. A highlight is the Lake Bennett option, if you really want the max with scenery.

Ketchikan, hopefully, you would consider more than "shopping". This is a fantastic port, loaded with native influence. My family only recommends Northern Lights fishing charter, have been going out with Ken for years (I'm sure he doesn't know my connection), always consistent with great trips.

Thanks Budget Queen for the suggestions. I just received MILEPOST from Amazon and will look into the Prince William Sound boat tour.

Re: Denali. I didn't mention we are planning to drive. I have a rental car reservation at ANC. Several hotels are already booked for our dates at Denali. Am I late?! I was able to get a reservation at McKinley Creekside Cabins. We're planning to drive from Anchorage after we land at 4:00 pm. While it will be a long day, I figured that with the long days, we'll appreciate having more time in Denali.

And thanks for the confirm on Ken. Sounds good.

Thanks Budget Queen for the suggestions. I just received MILEPOST from Amazon and will look into the Prince William Sound boat tour.

Re: Denali. I didn't mention we are planning to drive. I have a rental car reservation at ANC. Several hotels are already booked for our dates at Denali. Am I late?! I was able to get a reservation at McKinley Creekside Cabins. We're planning to drive from Anchorage after we land at 4:00 pm. While it will be a long day, I figured that with the long days, we'll appreciate having more time in Denali.

And thanks for the confirm on Ken. Sounds good.

I suggest you only go to Talkeetna / Mat Su area your arrival day. You are underestimating time. IF you land at 4pm, by time you get out of the airport, it's going to be pushing 5pm. Then it's in your interest to do a grocery stop by Wasilla. IF McKinley, sight seeing is of interest you are going to miss it because you will be on a marathon drive to Denali. Not the best plan. What are you planning for Denali- you have 2 full days there, you can do just fine with 1. Were you going in on a shuttle bus twice? If so, then if you stay near the Talkeetna area, it's a 3 hour drive to Denali. With a start by 9am, you could get still get on a 2pm Eielson shuttle bus. I'm assuming you are going on the Wonder Lake Shuttle bus? All the more reason you will need a stop, to pick up some strong bug dope, head nets etc perhaps.

Archived