QUICK HELP! Knee issues - what can I do in Belize?

wannago35

We originally reserved a cave tubing excursion, but have an issue with my knee that recently flared up again just in time for our cruise :mad:

Considered Altun Ha but the Carnival website says not recommended for physical limitations. I can walk, but we're not doing cave tubing because I'm not sure how my knee is going to hold up.

Trying to find something else to do, not really sit on the beach all day type people and we already planned to do that at another port anyway so that'll be enough.

Any suggestions? Would like to do something in Belize that's safe and fun for myself and hubby. We leave on Saturday!

Thanks for any help.

That's going to be tough. You could go outside the tender pier and take a horse cart tour of the city, but not a lot to see without walking around a bit. You'll have to climb stairs to and on the tender. That climbing may aggrevate your knee more than walking to the cave tubing drop in. So just going to the tender pier could be a problem for you if it hurts that bad. Get a good walking stick or a cane with a tip to take with you. You'll need it on the ship and at other ports. However, if going down steps and stairs aren't an issue so long as you have support, then go ahead to cave tube. Again, have a good collapsible walking stick (hiking store) and you'll be fine.

Hmm ... I should've said this earlier I have arthritis in my knee. I can go for months with no issues and then all of sudden I'm limping.

I was thinking even if we did the ruins, I wouldn't have to climb them (didn't do so at Chichenitza in Mexico simply because I'm chicken!). But have read the riverboat part of the tour is nice and my DH could climb the ruins if he liked. Also figure riding in a riverboat would be okay and we'd get to see some of Belize and the city tour. Seems a shame to go all the way there and end up staying on the boat!

I can definitely walk, bought a knee brace and refilled my ointment prescription (I know I sound so old but I'm mid 40s, just a bum knee which if I'm lucky will miraculously get better as fast as it got sore.

Thanks crewsweeper. Are there a lot of hills and valleys on the cavetubing walk? I was really looking forward to that and would love to try it but DH is worried what will happen if I can't keep up or going.

I'm glad you're at least thinking about Altun Ha or even doing th e cavetubing. Not really any steep hills along the cave-tubing path. But there are rocks and roots in places so footing isn't like being on a sidewalk. And once in the tube on the river your feet are up. For either Altun Ha or cave tubing though, if you have time, look into that collapsible walking stick. Just to have some support.

I empathize with your knee issue. My knees aren't in the best of shape and I have to back away from certain exercises from time to time.

I'm glad you're at least thinking about Altun Ha or even doing th e cavetubing. Not really any steep hills along the cave-tubing path. But there are rocks and roots in places so footing isn't like being on a sidewalk. And once in the tube on the river your feet are up. For either Altun Ha or cave tubing though, if you have time, look into that collapsible walking stick. Just to have some support.

I empathize with your knee issue. My knees aren't in the best of shape and I have to back away from certain exercises from time to time.

Thanks again. I hate that it flared up at this time when we've been waiting, oh a little over a year for this cruise! But hey we are cruising so I'm not complaining! :)

I don't know about Carnival, but RCCL has a tour to the zoo and a river boat ride with a meal. Not a hard walk and pleasant. As a therapist, I recommend good walking shoes, cane, pain meds prior to excursion, and patience. Have fun.

Archived