Aft penthouse cruisers trying a B1 on Getaway, will we be disappointed?

craig-n-carol

My DW and I have always sailed NCL in a suite, mostly aft penthouses. We never used the butler or concierge service much aside from dinner reservations. We love the free Cagney's breakfast perk (we know it is the Haven restaurant on the Getaway), and the Haven is something we just don't use as we spend most of our time on our own balcony. Love the aft view and the mesmerizing sound of the wake. We want to try the Getaway, but with our oldest in college, we just can't swing the price of a suite on the new ship. Will we be disappointed?

My DW and I have always sailed NCL in a suite, mostly aft penthouses. We never used the butler or concierge service much aside from dinner reservations. We love the free Cagney's breakfast perk (we know it is the Haven restaurant on the Getaway), and the Haven is something we just don't use as we spend most of our time on our own balcony. Love the aft view and the mesmerizing sound of the wake. We want to try the Getaway, but with our oldest in college, we just can't swing the price of a suite on the new ship. Will we be disappointed?

We sailed only with NCL in aft penthouses and love them. Also enjoy the aft view along with the huge balcony on decks 10. We are booked on the Breakaway and originally had a regular balcony cabin and after hearing all the stories how tiny it was, I regretted not getting a penthouse suite. It was really expensive at the time we booked. Our balcony dropped in price and I was able to upgrade at no charge to an aft balcony on deck 12. The pictures I've seen shows it to be a large size. So I'm happy about this and I get my aft view.:)

I just switched to an aft balcony in the Breakaway on deck 9, I called NCL, they say the total square footage is 333 with the balcony being 158 square feet and the room itself 175 square feet for this particular room!!

We sailed only with NCL in aft penthouses and love them. Also enjoy the aft view along with the huge balcony on decks 10. We are booked on the Breakaway and originally had a regular balcony cabin and after hearing all the stories how tiny it was, I regretted not getting a penthouse suite. It was really expensive at the time we booked. Our balcony dropped in price and I was able to upgrade at no charge to an aft balcony on deck 12. The pictures I've seen shows it to be a large size. So I'm happy about this and I get my aft view.:)

We too are booked on deck 12, after reading some reviews on the Breakaway cabin/ balcony sizes, they were the largest available at the time of our booking for the memorial day sailing 2014. Would like to hear about your experience when you return!!

I just switched to an aft balcony in the Breakaway on deck 9, I called NCL, they say the total square footage is 333 with the balcony being 158 square feet and the room itself 175 square feet for this particular room!!

Wow, these are nearly the size of the Jewel class Aft Penthouses, I think they are 358 sf! Not feeling so bad now!! :)

Based on what you're saying is important to you, I think the main difference will be private breakfasts at Cagney's (or the Haven Restuarant). Those aft balconies are spacious and provide an absolutely breathtaking view. With a little extra planning you'll be able to get whatever dinner reservations you want without Concierge services. I hope you enjoy your adventure!

Thanks for the responses. One of the other differences will be the table and chairs in the PHs in the dining area, we may miss that, but it certainly won't ruin our vacation. I suppose we can get a table with chairs on the balcony if we asked. Seems to be plenty of room for them. :) Another thing we'll miss will be the Lavazza coffee machine. Does anyone know if there are coffee makers at all in the B1?

Thanks for the responses. One of the other differences will be the table and chairs in the PHs in the dining area, we may miss that, but it certainly won't ruin our vacation. I suppose we can get a table with chairs on the balcony if we asked. Seems to be plenty of room for them. :) Another thing we'll miss will be the Lavazza coffee machine. Does anyone know if there are coffee makers at all in the B1?

Yes there are single cup pod style coffee makers in a B1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39672009&postcount=4

• 7 months later...

I see you are sailing in 9 days. ENJOY. Please come back and let us know what you thought about the aft balcony. Like you I have sailed aft PentHouses and Loved it. We will be sailing the Getaway next feb and staying in 12304 - the Aft PH. In August, we are sailing with friends on the Breakaway - They have children in college as well --so the AFT PH was a bit pricey so we both got AFT balconies. Looking forward to it and hope we don't miss the Haven too much :eek:

I see you are sailing in 9 days. ENJOY. Please come back and let us know what you thought about the aft balcony. Like you I have sailed aft PentHouses and Loved it. We will be sailing the Getaway next feb and staying in 12304 - the Aft PH. In August, we are sailing with friends on the Breakaway - They have children in college as well --so the AFT PH was a bit pricey so we both got AFT balconies. Looking forward to it and hope we don't miss the Haven too much :eek:

Circumstances have changed, and we were actually able to swing the aft PH after all. We'll be on deck 9. I just couldn't resist when the prices dropped to just under $5k base rate for the two of us. At the time, aft balconies were only $700/pp less than the aft PH. This will be a first time haven experience for us, as we have always stayed in Jewel class non haven suites.