any advice please

cfb345

Hi we are due to go on the Ventura in November and we are complete newbies!!! is it advisable to pre-book the speciality restaurants before we go, also there a couple of trips that we again would you advise us to book them in advance in case they get booked up.:confused:

If you have a certain date or time in mind book MPW and East now, but I think I am right in saying you will have to pay at the time of booking. Try and avoid formal nights if you can, these will usually be sea days. Consider doing your own thing in the Caribbean regarding excursions as these often work out alot cheaper and it is not as daunting as you might think. If you need any tips just ask away on here, you will get plenty of good advice. When are you boarding?

Phil

Hi we go on the 23rd Nov ! cant wait, will take the advice about the booking on formal nights is that because people prefer not to attend the formal nights as my husband is a bit concerned about them also as he is not a suit person and whilst would like to attend them is a bit worried about wearing the whole suit would he get away with smart trousers and a shirt, or does it have to be shirt, tie and jacket.

Also with regard to the trips I am a bit confused as we would like to book a jeep safari and the river tubing, would it not be best to do these through the ship? as for other more leisurely trips are there any good websites to book through as I am a bit worried that if we book independently we may not have the same protection with regard to missing the ship if late etc. thanks for the info in advance and I am sure that I will be picking the brains of you all over the next couple of weeks!

The dress code of the day applies to the speciality restaurants as well as the main restaurants. For men, a jacket is required on formal nights. Details can be found here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

The only place to eat dressed casually on formal nights would be the self service buffet.

The menu on formal nights in the main restaurants is usually much better than on other nights so there is some advantage in using the restaurant on those nights. There is no need to book the speciality restaurants before you get on board. I have never found them to be full and sometimes they may have special offers on to entice you.

The Beach House diner is well worth a visit. It is set up at the rear of the Beach House and is an American style diner menu. It is waiter served and it operates on a first come first served basis. No reservations. If it is full they will give you a pager to contact you later. It opens at 6:30pm. Some items on the menu have a charge but most have no charge and there is no cover charge.

Menu here

https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/beachhouse_menu.pdf

Other menus can be seen here.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

Note the "Gala" night menu is the formal night typical menu.

Brian

Hi we go on the 23rd Nov ! cant wait, will take the advice about the booking on formal nights is that because people prefer not to attend the formal nights as my husband is a bit concerned about them also as he is not a suit person and whilst would like to attend them is a bit worried about wearing the whole suit would he get away with smart trousers and a shirt, or does it have to be shirt, tie and jacket.

Also with regard to the trips I am a bit confused as we would like to book a jeep safari and the river tubing, would it not be best to do these through the ship? as for other more leisurely trips are there any good websites to book through as I am a bit worried that if we book independently we may not have the same protection with regard to missing the ship if late etc. thanks for the info in advance and I am sure that I will be picking the brains of you all over the next couple of weeks!

I think the advice to not book speciality restaurants on Formal nights is because in theory the menu in the main restaurants is normally better on formal nights.If your husband is not a suit person then there are other eating options on formal nights i/e buffet etc.They have some nice food in the evenings in the buffets and have speciality nights i/e Indian/Mexican/Asian etc.Or you have the option of room service which is really good.Obviously if you want to visit bars and theatre etc on formal nights and black and white nights they will expect you to be dressed up accordingly.But no pressure to dress up,its not compulsory.I dress up and follow the flow but I am not a suit person myself it just feels good to make the effort but its up to you. I Remove my tie as soon as I can as I feel i am choking wearing one(relates back to school days when I hated wearing ties lol)

Reference the tours last year on my first time in the Caribbean abroad on the first Island we went to We hired a car and we went all over the island in it following the Jitneys (local small minibuses)it was great to be able to do our own thing.Yes we got back to the ship on time just keep watch on the time and you will be ok.On Grenada later in the week we being only a couple booked a small minibus to tour us around the spice island and for what we paid it was great value,and yes the driver got us back in ample time.You can save money doing things yourselves compared to P and O tours but you do have that ship leaving you stranded element.On St lucia on the same week last year on Ventura there were some late strays returning to the ship,which held the ship back for about 45 minutes their names were called over the tannoy on a few reminders wondering if they had somehow boarded without checking in?and the captain Charlie Carr was not best pleased.We watched them get out of taxis running to get back onboard,So some ships will wait but if you check Youtube many ships wont.So by all means do your own thing BUT TAKE NOTE OF THE DEPARTURE TIME and allow yourselves plenty of time to get back...

Micky

For evening casual dressing you can use the Waterside buffet, Beach House diner and Glasshouse bar/restaurant on formal nights.

Don't worry about the formal dress code as it is fine to wear evening casual on formal nights as long as you don't mind missing the 3 main dining rooms, White Room and East plus the Metropolis and Red bars. everywhere else welcomes evening casual dress.

ps you don't need to book Beach House, Glasshouse etc, just turn up.

The dress code of the day applies to the speciality restaurants as well as the main restaurants. For men, a jacket is required on formal nights. Details can be found here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

The only place to eat dressed casually on formal nights would be the self service buffet.

The menu on formal nights in the main restaurants is usually much better than on other nights so there is some advantage in using the restaurant on those nights. There is no need to book the speciality restaurants before you get on board. I have never found them to be full and sometimes they may have special offers on to entice you.

The Beach House diner is well worth a visit. It is set up at the rear of the Beach House and is an American style diner menu. It is waiter served and it operates on a first come first served basis. No reservations. If it is full they will give you a pager to contact you later. It opens at 6:30pm. Some items on the menu have a charge but most have no charge and there is no cover charge.

Menu here

https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/beachhouse_menu.pdf

Other menus can be seen here.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

Note the "Gala" night menu is the formal night typical menu.

Brian[/QUO

Hi Brian, We ate in the Beach House on formal nights, dressed smart casual with no problems.

This was Dec 2010 on Ventura Caribbean cruise

Archived