so, what's the scoop on the SJ pier?

What did you hear??? We were there last May and didn't have any problems getting on/off the ship. Well.....immigration sucked, but that's not Carnival's fault. Did you have specific concerns?? I'll try to answer your questions!!

I'm just wondering if it's atleast decently organized (our only other experience was sailing out of Miami where it seemed like no one had a clue and was total chaos). I'm also curious as to how long it takes normally get through the red tape and on the boat (in Miami we got in line about 10:00 and weren't on the ship til 11:45, and there was no "fun pass" line at all). and if the porters outside do their little "shake down" schpeal, begging for tips. :mad: just trying to get a feel for the level of chaos there versus Miami. I've also heard the employees there aren't real friendly (though the few Carnival employees that crossed my path upon debarkation weren't the "gems" of the Carnival crown, either, but that's another story).

I'm just wondering if it's atleast decently organized (our only other experience was sailing out of Miami where it seemed like no one had a clue and was total chaos).
Miami is a pearl of efficiency compared to SJU.
and if the porters outside do their little "shake down" schpeal, begging for tips.
You will find this at *every* port, nothing unique to Miami. actually NYC is the absolute worst for this. It also does not matter which cruiseline you are sailing on as the stevedores are employed by the local port authority.

I haven't been there in 2 years now but I do not remember the process being that bad. I've boarded in Miami, Long Beach Galveston and San Juan. Long Beasch was the worst but then it was 2 weeks after the Sept 11 attacks. Everything was chaotic everywhere.

In San Juan our taxi was able to pull right up to where the porters got the luggage. The embarcation area was partially in doors so our time in the heat was minimal. I remember the process being smooth and efficient. I recall it taking between 30 and 45 minutes to board.

I always suggest getting there early. To me it just makes sense that the later in the day you board the more chances there are for problems.

Ive done SJ boarding 4x and its very very organized. Never had to wait over 30 mins to board the ship, when arriving at 11:30-noon. Plus its the only port where there is a duty free shop that allows you to bring on liquor :D Cant beat that. Getting on and off any ship isnt the greatest. We are all filled with excitement and sadness.You also have to remember in Miami there are usually several ship docking and it can be a madhouse. At the Old San Juan pier its just Destiny. So all the porters and cabbies are there for just that one ship.

We cruised out of San Juan last November. It was, by far, the worst port we've been to. We stood in line for over two and a half hours. Even though we were inside, it was unbelievably hot. The personnel were not nice at all! In fact, if this had been my first cruise experience on Carnival, I would never have cruised again. Luckily, I knew the entire trip was the exception, not the norm. If you want more details, you are welcome to e-mail me: pungo3@hotmail.com

I agree it isn't bad - although we got there around 11:15 or 11:30.

As to the liquor store in the terminal (second floor, right before you go through the security screening): if you want to be able to bring the liquor to your cabin, do not carry it on the ship in the cardboard boxes the store sometimes supplies. We saw several people with boxes having to turn their purchases over to Carnival employees just as they were getting on the ship. However, if you put the bottle(s) in your carry-on, there's no problem taking it directly to your cabin.

Have a great cruise!

Both times we embarked at Miami.....it sucked. This is because of the time we arrived...there were already long lines.

In Galveston....not a problem. We had Skipper's Club. But it would have been terrible if we would have had to wait in the lines.

San Juan....no problem. Finally got smart and flew in the day before. Arrived at the pier around 11-11:15. Porters were not a problem at all. Just gave them our luggage and a few bucks. Walked right up to the counter and checked in, received our S&S cards. Walked upstairs, got our picture taken. Hung around the waiting area, free rum shots nearby, shopped at the liquor store. Around 12:30 they opened the doors and we walked on! Had to stop a couple of times for about 30 seconds because the line would get clogged up when people were putting their cards in the machines.

Now getting off is another story! They didn't have self-debark...they might have changed that and things will be different for you. All I can say is: Don't be in a big hurry to get off. Even when they call your color, wait at least an hour after they call the last deck. Then you'll be able to walk right off. If you don't wait....expect to wait in a line to get into the lounge, where you will sit for at least an hour. You'll save yourself much stress and aggravation if you wait. Unless, of course, you have an early flight. I think the early flight people don't have much problem.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!

sailed the destiny 2 yrs ago, a marriott right across the street, dont even need a taxi, just wheel right across. we did have to wait, but we were there early, like noon...she sailed at 10pm. we went out to explore, when we came back, it was more crowded. but, after debarkation...the people getting ready to go on the next cruise were already in line to board. it was about 10am. they had to wait in line outside in the steaming hot sun. no cover.

The ONLY problem we had in San Juan was trying to get home from there. Debarkation was slow, but it only got worse when we arrived at the airport. On Sunday mornings, there are 4 cruise ships that dock around the same time. Most of these passengers head to the airport, causing very, very long lines.

We arrived at the airport about 4.5-hrs before our flight left. By the time we got into the building, checked in at the counter and went through security, we arrived at our gate AFTER boarding had begun! The line for check-in was so long, that I hadn't seen my wife for almost 2 hours (she waited close to the counter with our luggage)! If there was any air conditioning in the airport, we didn't notice it. It was HOT!

So be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait at the airport there in San Juan. The only way around it is to book a flight out late in the afternoon or stay over night and fly out on Monday morning. Good luck!

:cool: Bill

Archived