Singles to get Double Points

Funny that you should say that as the C&A team were quite proud that they beat CC to the punch and had the info BEFORE CC posters called in to question the policy.

I got my points on (I think) Monday, October 7. I saw the 14 points, but I was confused. I learned about the new plan on Facebook.

:)

It wasn't the punning that I found rude but what was implied. However it's entirely possible that what I read between the lines was not what you intended me to take away from your words. Afterall....I am Gil T. Azell. LOL What I'm saying in this convoluted way......is....we're all good!:D

Oh and thank you for the compliment on my screen name.....it really does suit me for to a T as I can get in trouble at times even when I'm not trying. LOL Although it is only all in good fun! :)

Hey......a stand up person, and for that I applaud you.:)

When you get to know me...you will either like me or hate me. I live with both here on CC.

As a TA.......I'm not allowed to delve into certain aspects of CC, and so....today I lurk more than post.

I challenged you.........as I wanted to know your source. Now that you know a bit more about me......you probably would understand why I asked.

Carol has cruised with us on numerous occasions......including the infamous "Around the Horn". She is informative, sud....oh......I can't say that.ah just fun to be around.

So....back to the singles get 2 points......not nights, per night, as a single.....with 3..........yes, it's in a JS or above!!

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

This is exciting as I may want to do some cruises that DH will not want to sail on. And it would be 3 points for a JS, which is our cabin of choice. Even if I booked a balcony cabin and got 2 points per night, there would be enough closet space for me -- spoiled from booking JSs.

We have a single in our group for our Jan. 12 FR cruise who is from the UK. Wonder if RCI - UK will have the same promotion.

Gina, I was at a conference last week, where we had a senior vice president of Royal Caribbean (Vicki Freed was not there) and started to lay out Royal Caribbeans new programs for next year.

A question was asked, and she could not give an answer to the fact that other cruise lines are giving single supplements, and only that Royal Caribbean was working on their own solution. The way it was presented, that, although Royal Caribbean was leaning on first time cruisers, and having a family cruise line (RCCL was voted the best for the second year in a row) we were told that there was something in the air about single supplements, as they were aware of the fact that there are some cruisers that lose their spouse, and yet want to continue to cruise....but don't like the existing policies.

So, what was put forth, one week later, not coming from a national conference certainly had me confused. There are other TA's that I know that also questioned the new policy, and as Kathy (PH8) had her conversation, and then to have an email correction.........to include some things that were not known by the rep.........I applaud Royal Caribbean for making a great step forward for singles.

To the person that I originally addressed this to.........Gil T Azell.

I asked you a question. I told you that MM was a friend that I could count on for correct answers.

With your screen name......which I find delightful, i simply was punning.......which I'm sorry that you took as rude. My sincere apologies.

Rick

I don't quite understand what yo uare saying. "giving single supplements"? They don't give them. Singles pay them. And when a spouse dies how would that affect someone's cruising? Other than they have to pay the same for a room and get the same points. Most of the hotels I stay at in the USA allow 1 or 2 people in the same room for the same price. When a spouse dies they don't suddenly allow them to sleep at the Holiday Inn for half price, nor do they give them double loyalty points. :confused:

I personally think RCI's new policy is a bit odd. Especially as it pertains to suites. Why should ANYone get 3 points per night just because they are traveling solo? This is so wide open to abuse. When 2 are booked in a room together there is no way to get 3 points a night. I personally am ready to play their game. I just booked 2 solo cruises. Cruises I was going to take anyway. Today there was a price drop so my sister and I booked connecting rooms for just $50 more. :D $12.50 a day for my own toilet - great deal. It would cost more than that a day to use public toilets in Norway as I recently found out. ;)

Gina

I don't quite understand what yo uare saying. "giving single supplements"? They don't give them. Singles pay them. And when a spouse dies how would that affect someone's cruising? Other than they have to pay the same for a room and get the same points. Most of the hotels I stay at in the USA allow 1 or 2 people in the same room for the same price. When a spouse dies they don't suddenly allow them to sleep at the Holiday Inn for half price, nor do they give them double loyalty points. :confused:

I personally think RCI's new policy is a bit odd. Especially as it pertains to suites. Why should ANYone get 3 points per night just because they are traveling solo? This is so wide open to abuse. When 2 are booked in a room together there is no way to get 3 points a night. I personally am ready to play their game. I just booked 2 solo cruises. Cruises I was going to take anyway. Today there was a price drop so my sister and I booked connecting rooms for just $50 more. :D $12.50 a day for my own toilet - great deal. It would cost more than that a day to use public toilets in Norway as I recently found out. ;)

Gina

Gina.......I'm sorry if i said something backwards. Singles do pay......and if you are a new cruiser... mostly it's double....or the same price as two people would pay.

There are some cruises that are selling singles at 110 percent of a single rate.

I hope that this make sense.;)

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

Gina.......I'm sorry if i said something backwards. Singles do pay......and if you are a new cruiser... mostly it's double....or the same price as two people would pay.

You are now at a point, in the tier system, that you would only pay 1-1/2 times. Yet, Royal Caribbean is coming out with a new program, that even if you pay 1-1/2 times.......you will now get 2 points, instead of 1 point...in a normal inside, outside or balcony cabin. Add a point, as normal for a JS or above.

There are some cruises that are selling singles at 110 percent of a single rate.

I hope that this make sense.;)

Rick

I understand that. And I have one of those cruises booked as a single where I am only paying $14 more. :D Of course it's only 2 nights but OK...it's their rule.

Another bad rule like the previous 1 credit for a short cruise, extra credit for an suite upgrade - but we just play by the rules. ;)

RCI has just created another monster and it's going to be an ugly one. I have no idea what they are thinking when they do this dumb stuff. I guess they aren't thinking about the size of their new revitalized CL and DL which isn't going to be large enough to accommodate the monster very soon. Very, very soon.

Gina

I understand that. And I have one of those cruises booked as a single where I am only paying $14 more. :D Of course it's only 2 nights but OK...it's their rule.

Another bad rule like the previous 1 credit for a short cruise, extra credit for an suite upgrade - but we just play by the rules. ;)

RCI has just created another monster and it's going to be an ugly one. I have no idea what they are thinking when they do this dumb stuff. I guess they aren't thinking about the size of their new revitalized CL and DL which isn't going to be large enough to accommodate the monster very soon. Very, very soon.

Gina

Gina...........I understand.............and have no clue around it!

Rick

Whoa<

If this is true (I had not heard):confused: Then this maybe a case of too little too late for me. My next cruise although long (14 nts) is in Nov 2014. I am just Platinum and trying to make Diamond. By the time I make it it will be gone. Are they replacing it with anything? Does anyone know? Not complaining, just wondering.

Thanks

Denise

They're not getting rid of the level "diamonds" in December... They're doing the promotion "diamonds in December" which gave double points to those already diamond and above when cruising in December.

So don't worry, diamond level will still be there when you arrive... although who's to say what perks there will be by then... I finally turned diamond just after they bumped up the best perks to d+ and above (concierge club, special ship tours, etc.)... and I'm afraid it will happen again before I reach d+!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Most of the hotels I stay at in the USA allow 1 or 2 people in the same room for the same price. When a spouse dies they don't suddenly allow them to sleep at the Holiday Inn for half price, nor do they give them double loyalty points. :confused:

I think that your analogy here is wrong (if I understood you correctly)

Cruise ships do not operate under the same business plan as hotels. They charge by the person and not the room, but expect to have as close to double occupancy revenue as possible. So if you are a solo, they will charge you more inorder to increase revenue. If you pay more, then theoretically you should get more points or rewards.

Hotels and motels on the other hand charge by the room and many don't care in many cases if you shove in even 3, 4 or more on existing beds. So again logically there should be NO extra rewards for the solo traveller. As to price there are in many cases single rooms with a lower price but usually if you take a double room with one person you pay the same price.

I think that your analogy here is wrong (if I understood you correctly)

Cruise ships do not operate under the same business plan as hotels. They charge by the person and not the room, but expect to have as close to double occupancy revenue as possible. So if you are a solo, they will charge you more inorder to increase revenue. If you pay more, then theoretically you should get more points or rewards.

Hotels and motels on the other hand charge by the room and many don't care in many cases if you shove in even 3, 4 or more on existing beds. So again logically there should be NO extra rewards for the solo traveller. As to price there are in many cases single rooms with a lower price but usually if you take a double room with one person you pay the same price.

Actually that makes no sense to me. Hotels I go to don't really operate like that. I many countries they go charge per person and have single rates. Generally US chains don't.

And RCI doesn't come close to awarding points based on revenue. Try telling that to full suite guests.

I did in fact cancel a Dec. cruise just a few days ago since final payment was Oct 7. A JS at $799pp for 5 days double occupancy so 10 points to be earned.

Yesterday I booked a 4 nighter in Dec. for myself and my sister for $203pp (it would have been $50 savings to double up) SINGLE occupancy with connecting doors. I figured "why not" for the extra bathroom. And WOW we will now get 8 points each. What a bargain!!! Almost as many points for 25% of the price.

Points being awarded has nothing to do with revenue. Although at hotels it does. They offer nights along with points per dollar at the chains I frequent. And the points per dollar remain the same and so do the nights even if there is just 1 person in the room. No special treatment.

But I'll take it if RCI is handing out this gift. :)

I like the welcome aboard basket, too. ;)

Funny, W is my favorite guarantee category; so far, I have had good luck booking it. Each time I have either gotten a decent JS or an upgrade to a full suite.

For sure I'm not saying there is any problem with it. It's just that all I ever book initially is an interior. One time (this coming cruise:)) I was able to upgrade to a guarantee oceanview. Doubt that I'll ever see a balcony, even with my Diamond discount.

Kathy

For sure I'm not saying there is any problem with it. It's just that all I ever book initially is an interior. One time (this coming cruise:)) I was able to upgrade to a guarantee oceanview. Doubt that I'll ever see a balcony, even with my Diamond discount.

Kathy

Keep your eyes peeled Kathy ... many times I've gotten cheaper rates on a balcony (with the Diamond discount) then the Oceanview. It could happen. I'm with you too on the suites though. Too much $$ for me.

Gina

I guess I do not foresee an ugly monster. I am trying to think it through. Maybe I do not know or understand the point chaser well enough. Anyway, please help me out and tell me where I have gone wrong in my thinking.

If they have both the time and money, the big-time point chasers are (or will soon be) D/D+ (or higher), so they have lounge access. If so, adding points to their tallies for solo bookings won't make the lounges signicantly more crowded.

If they have time but little money, they will have continue cruising as their budgets allow. If they are solos, they may have more trouble finding low supplements, so their budgets may cause them to cruise less, though points will rack up faster. If they are couples or friends, they will likely choose to cruise more often double occupancy rather than less often solo; though points are roughly the same, pleasure is greater and they have time.

If they have money but little time, surely RCI wants their business. Such people drop cash on extras to make their few trips special. If this policy encourages them to select RCI rather than Princess (or some other competitor), all the better for the company. Will they overload the lounges? They do not cruise often, so I doubt it. Maybe there are more of them than I imagine.

No real point discussing those who have neither time nor money. they may dream of running up points, but they cannot do so. nor can they crowd a lounge.

The CL seemed crowded during my recent Allure western, but we always got a seat somewhere. It was not crowded on the eastern the next week.

Actually that makes no sense to me. Hotels I go to don't really operate like that. I many countries they go charge per person and have single rates. Generally US chains don't.

And RCI doesn't come close to awarding points based on revenue. Try telling that to full suite guests.

;)

Yes, I was refering to American hotels and motels which charge by the room and not by the person.

I did not want to imply that RCL gives points out by revenue but was replying to your comment on the case of the "widow" who would expect to pay less and get less points.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the new arrangement

Gina

I agree about the monster completely. I am in favor of singles getting double points when charged 200% singles sup. Other than that, let the games begin. When you can turn a 5 night cruise into 20 points some will not be able to resist.