Singles to get Double Points

RCI isn't charging more than 200%. They are now charging double the non-commissionable portion of the fare, which is in line with what Princess, Carnival and other mass market lines have been doing for years. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with the way it was implemented, just sneaking it in there a week after announcing the double points.

I sure have a problem with it. With the new pricing my reservations are now at least $200 to $500 more per trip. I don't like any comparisons with the Carnival corporation. Double NCF charges are not fair to be charged for a second person in a room that does not exist. Part of NCF is port charges. Who is RCI giving the money to they are collecting for the second person who does not exist in the room.

I sure have a problem with it. With the new pricing my reservations are now at least $200 to $500 more per trip. I don't like any comparisons with the Carnival corporation. Double NCF charges are not fair to be charged for a second person in a room that does not exist. Part of NCF is port charges. Who is RCI giving the money to they are collecting for the second person who does not exist in the room.

If you would read the entire thread, you would learn that NCF is NOT port charges.

Port charges and taxes are in the "taxes" line of the price quote, and this amount is NOT doubled for singles.

If you would read the entire thread, you would learn that NCF is NOT port charges.

Port charges and taxes are in the "taxes" line of the price quote, and this amount is NOT doubled for singles.

I don't know who you have spoken with but I have been told by RCI that port charges are included. RCI won't actually tell us all the charges in NCF.

Please if you tell me exactly what you know to be in NCF.

I don't know who you have spoken with but I have been told by RCI that port charges are included. RCI won't actually tell us all the charges in NCF.

Please if you tell me exactly what you know to be in NCF.

This is going to sound weird, because it IS.

The taxes line DOES include both taxes and port charges.

NCF includes ANYTHING that Royal Caribbean wants to include. The actual inclusions are - are you ready for this? - "proprietary information" which they will not release.

It could include a window-washing fee, air-conditioning fee, brass railing-polishing fee, guest services usage charge, cable connection charge..........literally ANYTHING that they want to charge.

Why isn't this all just included in your "cruisefare"?

Well, it is. But it's the part that RC (and all other cruise lines) don't pay commission on to travel agents. So, it's basically a scam to pay agents less.

I know that this is hard to believe.

But it's true.

Apparently, other cruiselines have been charging the full freight to singles for years. Only RC had been excluding NCF from the doubling of fares for singles.

But now they have joined the scamming majority.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Merion_Mom

Sorry, but I'm not about to search 43 pages, so this is likely a duplicate question. I'm cruising solo on Liberty, in a suite. Previously, I got double points for a suite. Now, as a solo will it still just be double? Will it triple? Will it quadruple? (I doubt the last one...).

Sorry, but I'm not about to search 43 pages, so this is likely a duplicate question. I'm cruising solo on Liberty, in a suite. Previously, I got double points for a suite. Now, as a solo will it still just be double? Will it triple? Will it quadruple? (I doubt the last one...).

You will get triple. One cruise point per night X 2 for traveling solo in a double cabin plus one cruise point per night for traveling in a suite.

This is going to sound weird, because it IS.

The taxes line DOES include both taxes and port charges.

NCF includes ANYTHING that Royal Caribbean wants to include. The actual inclusions are - are you ready for this? - "proprietary information" which they will not release.

It could include a window-washing fee, air-conditioning fee, brass railing-polishing fee, guest services usage charge, cable connection charge..........literally ANYTHING that they want to charge.

Why isn't this all just included in your "crui

Well, it is. But it's the part that RC (and all other cruise lines) don't pay commission on to travel agents. So, it's basically a scam to pay agents less.

I know that this is hard to believe.

But it's true.

Apparently, other cruiselines have been charging the full freight to singles for years. Only RC had been excluding NCF from the doubling of fares for singles.

But now they have joined the scamming majority.

:rolleyes:

I am travelling at least 12 times a year as a solo. The $200 to $500 added for the second fare really adds. But, I have been told the NCF does have some port charges included. When discussing with agents this has not been denied. Like we have said, they will not tell us what all is included in NCF.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I, too, got a phone call just a few minutes ago and reinterate what Lorna said. Glad this is now a good positive move on Royal's part. Obviously, without writing letters, this may not have been brought to the forefront!

Just a clarification, you still cannot book senior, resident discounts with the C&A 150% solo perk. You can combine balcony discount or Savings Certificate.

Update (forgive me if this was posted elsewhere but I just discovered it): they've changed their mind about the senior & resident discounts (I didn't ask about military since I don't qualify unless I'm with DH). I was just able to combine the 150% perk with a senior discount (and use a Next Cruise certificate). At least I think that I was - they only have 2 supervisors applying the 150% perk today and I'm still awaiting final confirmation. The D+ rep told me that they initially were denying it but are now going to allow it.:D

Update (forgive me if this was posted elsewhere but I just discovered it): they've changed their mind about the senior & resident discounts (I didn't ask about military since I don't qualify unless I'm with DH). I was just able to combine the 150% perk with a senior discount (and use a Next Cruise certificate). At least I think that I was - they only have 2 supervisors applying the 150% perk today and I'm still awaiting final confirmation. The D+ rep told me that they initially were denying it but are now going to allow it.:D

Great news Jean!

Celia - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jean, if this turns out to be accurate - and they are letting you do this - then I say HURRAY! That was REALLY sticking in my craw when the new policy first came into effect.

Thank you for pioneering the PUSH (shove? slam?) that led to this. I was denied so far, but will look forward to this latest development.

:)

I'll give it a day or two and then see what the booking says. If it doesn't go down, then the rep was incorrect, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. I was actually just confirming that I wasn't allowed to combine them (because you never know), and she said that they had gone back and forth on the issue for awhile.

Belated Happy Birthday to you, Celia!

To Jean, Carol, and others --- a huge thank you!

It took over a month to even see my Oasis cruise -- but at the same time it posted it posted my "double'" points! I emailed C&A at the end of December and they responded two days after the web showed the correct amount LOL.:). Know it was holiday season, but that was the longest I've waited for points to show.

Edited by jaspercat

I've been pricing potential cruises and find that all of them are pricing out at 200% (per person rate times 2). For many cruises this is making an inside cabin come out to $225/day for a normal 7 day cruise on ships that are not Oasis/Allure/Quantum class (and not a special itinerary or over Christmas). Personally I don't find this a good value. so I have decided to look at other travel options. European river cruises have a very small single surcharge, many land tours have no single surcharge or a small one, so there are many options for my travel dollars.

I have 2 cruises I booked well before the new pricing. My Rhapsody cruise has a 1.54 surcharge, and even my Quantum was only 1.6 surcharge. Unfortunately I have 2 next cruise certificates I bought just before the changes, going to see if I can transfer them to someone else to use.

The only way I can see taking an RCL cruise in the future is if the per person rate is extremely low, so that at 200% the per day is lower than $125, or the itinerary or ship is something special.

Personally I don't accept the argument that because the other lines have been charging the same surcharge we should accept that RCL has gone to the same pricing. I sailed so much with RCL, because it was a better value.

Will be curious to see what happens, and if solo bookings drop off enough for RCL to notice.

To Jean, Carol, and others --- a huge thank you!

It took over a month to even see my Oasis cruise -- but at the same time it posted it posted my "double'" points! I emailed C&A at the end of December and they responded two days after the web showed the correct amount LOL.:). Know it was holiday season, but that was the longest I've waited for points to show.

Me, too! My Oasis points posted some time in the second week of January, a full month after I sailed!

I've been pricing potential cruises and find that all of them are pricing out at 200% (per person rate times 2). For many cruises this is making an inside cabin come out to $225/day for a normal 7 day cruise on ships that are not Oasis/Allure/Quantum class (and not a special itinerary or over Christmas). Personally I don't find this a good value. so I have decided to look at other travel options. European river cruises have a very small single surcharge, many land tours have no single surcharge or a small one, so there are many options for my travel dollars.

I have 2 cruises I booked well before the new pricing. My Rhapsody cruise has a 1.54 surcharge, and even my Quantum was only 1.6 surcharge. Unfortunately I have 2 next cruise certificates I bought just before the changes, going to see if I can transfer them to someone else to use.

The only way I can see taking an RCL cruise in the future is if the per person rate is extremely low, so that at 200% the per day is lower than $125, or the itinerary or ship is something special.

Personally I don't accept the argument that because the other lines have been charging the same surcharge we should accept that RCL has gone to the same pricing. I sailed so much with RCL, because it was a better value.

Will be curious to see what happens, and if solo bookings drop off enough for RCL to notice.

I wrote a lengthy email to Adam Goldstein, and one point that I brought up was that some, if not many, solo cruisers had puchased non-refundable NCC's that, IMO, should have the old rule of only a single NCCF applied. The fellow who replied to my email conveniently ignored that suggestion, but you might want to raise it as well.

Having said that, I don't see how one can fault RCi for following industry norms. It would be nice if they would follow the norms that are advantageous to the passenger, though - for example, Princess' policy of combining OBC from onboard bookings/NCCs, shareholder and military. Just sayin'...

Update (forgive me if this was posted elsewhere but I just discovered it): they've changed their mind about the senior & resident discounts (I didn't ask about military since I don't qualify unless I'm with DH). I was just able to combine the 150% perk with a senior discount (and use a Next Cruise certificate).

Are you using fake ID? 'Cause you ain't old enough for a senior discount. :p