Disney Magic vs. Serenade of the Seas

DeeAlsh13

Both of these ships are cruising Greece from Barcelona, with SLIGHTLY different itineraries. Serenade sailing from August 3rd, and the Magic sailing from the 26th (I think) of July.

I've searched a lot about the Magic (Having already been on the Serenade's sister a couple years ago) and I've found some varying reviews.

The Magic has a better Itinerary for what I'm looking for, but I heard it's rooms are far smaller and for a higher price.

Everything is just a huge question mark at the moment, So I would like to know what all of you lovely cruisers think of both ships, or whatever! Greatly appreciated xx

You did not mention if you are traveling with kids. That does make a huge difference (at least to us).;)

Well, I'm 16 if that helps at all haha! But yeah, I'm the youngest in the family, so the trip would just be my parents and I.

I was so surprised at your comment that RCCL has BIGGER staterooms that I attempted to look up their sizes. I couldn't find any measurements. All I found was that a "Large" stateroom held 2 twin beds and a small sofa.

On the Magic, each cabin has one large bed, a sofa that flips into a twin bed (not a pull out--the bed is actually comfortable). Some cabins have a ceiling bunk that drops down, and "family" size rooms have a murphy bed. The DCL web site clearly states the square footage of each cabin category. Some individual cabins are a little larger than stated.

I have never been on the Serenity. However, my experience on other lines is that DCL cabins are 30-50% larger than a similar category on the other lines. On come RCCL ships, you have to book a "junior suite" to get the same space as on a 4 person cabin on the Magic!

Yes, DCL does charge a premium. How much depends on which cruise and line you are comparing! However, we did a "trial run" on Celebrity when I was considering moving our very port intensive Med cruise to another line. Celebrity had better food, but the family decision was that they wanted to be on the Magic.

I was so surprised at your comment that RCCL has BIGGER staterooms that I attempted to look up their sizes. I couldn't find any measurements. All I found was that a "Large" stateroom held 2 twin beds and a small sofa.

I'm just going on what I heard, since I haven't been on Disney myself, and only cruise on a Junior Suite on RCCL. But if as you say the 4 Person cabins are as big as a junior suite, this could sway the vote on it's own!

A "deluxe oceanview stateroom" on the Magic is 214 square feet. "Deluxe" is code for split bathroom. These cabins hold 3 or 4 people. They are cat 10 and nicer.

A cabin with only a single bath is 184 square feet. Most of these hold 3, but some hold 4. These are all inside cabins, cat 11 and 12.

I would suggest that you find some accurate measurements for the cabins on the ship you are considering and be sure that they aren't counting the balcony space in the size of the "cabin."

How nice that you like to cruise with your parents! I'm grateful that they have always taken us (since age 11 anyway) on their cruises. I have cruised Europe when I was 18, and I can't even remember the name of the ship or anything about the cruise, although I do remember the ports. The same was true when we cruised Royal Caribbean to Hawaii. I got engaged on the islands, we had incredible experiences like surfing and pineapple...but I still couldn't remember anything about the cruise or ship itself! I had to look up old photos to even be able to tell what the name of it was.

So the point is, some cruises are incredible for destinations. Some cruises are incredible for onboard experiences (and destinations if they go to the same places, even better if its better!) Airfare is going to have to be a consideration also, but if the prices are similar, then there IS no comparison!

The only way I would do a non DCL cruise would be on the Allure or Oasis (which you cruise those more for ships vs itinerary) or the most stunning itinerary ever that DCL didn't go to. If its like the other ships, the showers are LEGENDARILY small. Every comedian jokes about soaping up the walls and spinning around a few times to get clean. DCL has a BATHTUB (which trust me, this is a bonus if you have legs you are trying to shave etc and extra shampoo and conditioner bottles falling every where.) I haven't been on Serenity, but if its an older ship, its not going to be a special 'cruise'. It may not have to be. If on the other hand, you want the port experience to be as special as the cruise itself, then DCL wins again.

Either way, you will enjoy your family trip as we have, and if you don't do Europe with Disney, there is always Castaway Cay off of Florida next time, and THAT is a DCL must! (Cuz you can't get there any other way! :D)

According to the RCCL website, the junior suites on the Serenade of the Seas are 282 sq. ft., with a balcony of 74 sq. ft.

Another (non-official) website lists them as :

Approximate Size: 293 square feet, with a 66 square foot balcony

If you look on You Tube, there's a video someone took of the one of the junior suites and another video (or 2) of the Serenade of the seas.

Oh and for me, I'd save on the cruise fare (whichever ship it ends up being) to spend more on my excursions - I mean, realistically - how many times are you going to do a European cruise? I'd focus on what I wanted to see and do in Europe and not the ship that's taking me from port to port.

I mean, realistically - how many times are you going to do a European cruise?

Well, for us, this would be the third, since it's easier for us to get to Spain than it is to get to the States! So, we'd already see most of it, except for Greece. Which is what is making us lean more towards the Magic, because it goes to one extra port that Serenade doesn't!

But what makes us want to go back on the Serenade is how we know their service, as apposed to the magic.

Really? Even the normal balcony cabin?!

Every cabin on the Magic has a bath tub (well, every guest cabin.) Yes, interior cabins too.

Question--does the 282 square feet include the balcony or is that an additional 68 on the RCCL? On the Magic, the 214 is the measurement NOT including the balcony, 284 includes the balcony.

Every cabin on the Magic has a bath tub (well' date=' every guest cabin.) Yes, interior cabins too.

Question--does the 282 square feet include the balcony or is that an additional 68 on the RCCL? On the Magic, the 214 is the measurement NOT including the balcony, 284 includes the balcony.[/quote']

Not every cabin on the Magic has a bathtub (if you have a HA cabin, they do not have a tub or a split bath).

And on the 282 does not include the balcony. There's a you tube video (it's a few years old) of one of the junior suites - it is quite large.

Not every cabin on the Magic has a bathtub (if you have a HA cabin, they do not have a tub or a split bath).

And on the 282 does not include the balcony. There's a you tube video (it's a few years old) of one of the junior suites - it is quite large.

The suites on the Radiance class ships are quite large, and the Radiance ships are considered some of he most beautiful of all the Royal ships - lots of glass to give views from almost everywhere on the ship. The JS also has tub. The JS and higher also get double points if you are C&A member...

Archived