Best Western Hotel President in Rome

youngreflection

I read the tripadvisor reviews and almost all of its reviews are nice. But am wondering how come I cannot find anything about this hotel here in cruise critic...mostly I read about Best Western Hotel Canada and Universo... this hotel seems to tick off all my hb and I want 1) good ac even in May; 2) A real hotel with lots of rooms and not just a bnb passing off as one; and 3) though it's not at the center, Manzoni station is literally a few steps away from hotel entrance

Any thoughts or feedback from cruisers who may have stayed here before?

Thanks!

I haven't stayed there, but I suspect the reason you don't find mentions of the hotel here is the location. Cruise Critic members tend to have shorter hotel stays (not all, obviously) of a day or two before or after a cruise. In this situation, many people are willing to pay a bit more per night in order to be in a more central location. This hotel is really not that far out; if you don't have mobility issues you could walk to the Colosseum in ten minutes (it's only three-quarters of a mile away from the hotel).

As a side note, the proximity of the Manzoni station isn't much help for a tourist as the Metro only gets you to a few of the main tourist sites (from Manzoni you can take the Metro to Trevi, the Spanish Steps, and the Vatican Museums - other than that it's pretty useless).

That said, the hotel is just around the corner from the #3 tram, which takes you to the Colosseum/Forum in just a few minutes. From there you can easily walk or take a bus to the rest of the historical center.

Thank you for the input...I guess you mean other cruisers want to stay near termini to go somewhere further? We are staying 4 nights before the cruise and plan to just relax and go around the usual tourist spots you mentioned altho we will do a 1 day rome to pompeii roadtrip via romeinlimo...we are paying around 310$ a night for a quadruple room in May so this is a good deal? Comes with breakfast, too:)

Even Termini is on the edge of the historical center; from a tourist's perspective, the bulls eye would be the area roughly bound by Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, and the Pantheon. Rates are high in this area and the buildings are old, so there are tradeoffs.

That sounds like a good rate, though I haven't tried to find a quad room in more than a decade so I don't have any recent perspective. May is high tourism season, so be prepared for crowds.

I think this hotel may cater to group tours; I've read brochures where they list it as one of the hotel choices. That may or may not bother you.

Many, if not most, hotels in Rome include breakfast, just as an FYI.

Also, understand that a 4-star hotel is not necessarily the same as a 4-star hotel in the US. They are rated for the amenities they offer and not on the quality of those amenities.

You didn't ask for input on this but since this is a public message board, it comes with the territory.

Would you consider driving yourself to Pompei? It's an easy drive, all but a few feet on the highway. You could jump on that metro right outside the hotel door and go to the EUR, where you can get a rental car for less than 100 Euro for the day. Add tolls and gas and your cost will still be less than a third of what RIL will charge you for the ride. At Pompei you'd have to pay for a guide anyway, so that cost will be the same in either case.

As another side note: one of the best parts of Rome is walking ......... or strolling as they do. I agree that staying in the heart of the historic center is preferred and that is exactly what we do. We walk everywhere. In the evening when all the locals come out to stroll, sit in the piazzas and let their children romp, we stroll too..... no plan no itinerary......just stroll. Sometimes we turn a corner and discover a neat fountain.... or a dusty old antique store. With so little time, staying in the heart maximizes your experience without making it feel rushed or difficult with trams, buses, trains or taxis.

Just my two cents :D

Can't wait to get back there next week !!!!!!!! We leave Tuesday

Thank you for all the inputs! If it were just up to me, I would prefer to do all those esp. driving to Pompeii on our own and be more adventurous overall... But hb is such a worrywart esp. since we are travelling with our kids...

You will see many many locals out in the evening with their kids in tow. Some on bicycles, some on scooters, some in strollers....... the all go out and let the kids run off some steam in the piazzas in the evenings.

Archived