UBD in uncovered balcony? A mistake?

Loreni

I have read good things about this and have wanted to try it, but it didn't make sense for us while Princess still allowed smoking on the balcony.

Now we are wondering what it is like on an uncovered Dolphin deck balcony. Has anyone regretted doing this on an uncovered balcony?

No! We love the uncovered Dolphin Deck balconies! You can look straight up and see the stars, it's nice and wide and there's plenty of room to enjoy the dinner.

I imagine your worry is the potential for people above you looking down on you as you eat dinner. It's not that much different from being in a dining room. People will come out, take a look for a minute or two, then disappear. Most will be eating their own dinner at that time and most are not that nosy IME.

If privacy is super important to you, then you might choose a different location.

When Mazatlan was first cancelled as a port in Mexico a few year's ago, Princess was overnighting in Cabo. We had a UBD on a Dolphin deck mini. Ships anchor in Cabo and can rotate a bit. We started off with a view of Los Arcos as the sun started to set and the Sapphire slowly rotated clockwise. As we finished dessert it was dark and we had a view of the lights in downtown Cabo. It was a great meal with great views and if anyone was staring down at us, we didn't notice. If you have a late port day, I would consider that for a UBD to prevent any potential wind issues. We have had three Dolphin deck minis with no issues over 28 days.

We did it on a Dolphin mini and also loved it. I will say, that I thought that people who could see were curious, but quickly turned away and/or didn't attempt to engage us in conversation which was nice. It wasn't an issue.

My personal pet peeve is being out on my balcony and having somebody above or next to me engage with me or comment on what I'm doing. It happens invariably at sail away when we pop our Champagne. Makes me crazy.

Archived