Tell me about Rhapsody of the Seas

Good afternoon,

I have not sailed on Royal Caribbean and have a good friend who is thinking of sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas to Alaska in late June 2014. This lady is 82 and gets around fairly well - slowly but is up for trying almost anything. Her traveling companion for this cruise is more mobility challenged with weight and walking issues. She uses a scooter and, while close to 20 years younger, has way more mobility issues. Is this ship a good "fit" for them. How easy is it to navigate around? They are looking at a balcony cabin but I don't have a specific cabin number to refer to. If you have cruised on Rhapsody of the Seas I'd really appreciate some feedback as my friend is a bit nervous about this whole adventure.

Oh - also accompanying them will be a young family with small children so it is quite an age range. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Karen

Good afternoon,

I have not sailed on Royal Caribbean and have a good friend who is thinking of sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas to Alaska in late June 2014. This lady is 82 and gets around fairly well - slowly but is up for trying almost anything. Her traveling companion for this cruise is more mobility challenged with weight and walking issues. She uses a scooter and, while close to 20 years younger, has way more mobility issues. Is this ship a good "fit" for them. How easy is it to navigate around? They are looking at a balcony cabin but I don't have a specific cabin number to refer to. If you have cruised on Rhapsody of the Seas I'd really appreciate some feedback as my friend is a bit nervous about this whole adventure.

Oh - also accompanying them will be a young family with small children so it is quite an age range. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Karen

They will need to get one of the limited accessibility cabins. Most cabins can't handle a scooter or wheel chair . Your friends should talk to the cruiseline or TA as soon as possible. There is a limited number cabins for people with mobility issues.

Rhapsody is our favourite ship. We have sailed on her 11 times, and have 2 more booked.

I cruise with DH, 2 DDs and DMIL.

DMIL uses a walker and has never had a problem. She has just purchased a scooter, and will be trying it out on our next cruise. It's a small one, and we have checked the door width with RCI and believe it will fit through. She's going to test it in docked ports, as she usually just stays on the ship.

When the DDs were smaller we started cruising with RCI we had Family Oceanview Staterooms, and found them to be quiet comfortable for the 5 of us. When they got bigger we had 2 cabins. Now we're addicted to Royal Family Suites, with 5 together again:D & 2 bathrooms.:D

In 2 weeks, our Diamond+ cruise.:D

Aussie Frequent Floaters

We cruised on Rhapsody last year from Sydney,Australia. My MIL who is in her late 70s has mobility problems and we pre-arranged with Royal Caribbean to have access to a wheelchair for the entire cruise. This was no problem and no charge. It easily fit through doorways, however I agree with the other poster an accessible cabin is a better option if using a scooter or wheelchair.

Rhapsody is an awesome ship and great crew, everyone was very helpful and we took the wheelchair into the MDR and other locations, shops, centrum etc etc.

We have a real fondness for Rhapsody. It was our first cruise with RCCL. We loved everything about it. The mid-size of the ship was perfect for us. We had our first balcony on her and fell in love with balcony cabins. We also fell in love with the Solarium area and pool. If you don't love her, there's something wrong with you. Just kidding. ;)

Archived