Assist America Services

virginiab

My health insurance us going to include travel services from Assist America. Looking at Assist America's website, it seems like they provide these services as an add-on to many other companies' insurance products, so I wondered if some of you have had experiences using their services, such as arranging hospitalization away from home, finding English-speaking doctors, arranging flights home after medical treatment, etc.

I'm not familiar with this particular company, but check the information on what they provide carefully. I've seen these services worded in ways to make you think they are insurance, when they are often just a phone number for assistance - where they give you a doctor name, or assist you in re-booking flights, but all at your expense.

Thanks, vacruiser. I did read their stuff pretty carefully. It looks like they will find medical resources (but not pay for them) but my regular health insurance will cover emergency care anywhere in the world at in-network rates, so I'm good on the actual health care part. The other thing these guys do is more like the stand-alone travel insurance that I have bought in the past: get you to a hospital, and back home from it if you need special arrangements.

I had hoped that with all the people on Cruise Critic that someone had experience with them. I mean, they have nice comments from users on their own website, but I have a lot of faith in the "group mind" of cruise critic!

Archived