FLL airport - Southwest - long lines?

bbevanston

We're getting off the Oasis on 11/16 and taking a 11:25 flt. Anyone know if the lines are really long? We have to check in our luggage, get our boarding passes and have children w/us. Thanks. I'm having nightmares thinking about a long line up and long security line too. Is the check in line and security line usually long and slow?

Yes, the lines at SWA are long, however there is a SkyCap service at the curb which tends to speed things up a bit. FLL is only about 10 mins from Port Everglades by cab and you should have no problem with an 11:25 flight. With an early disembarkation you can very easily be at the gate by 9 or 9:30 am.

We have never found the line up at the Southwest check in to be that long, but the line to go through security can be really long.

With Southwest if you have your boarding passes aleady printed you can go in a different line than the one where people need to print them. We always check in to Southwest while still on board the ship, and print our boarding passes out then too. It usually only takes a few minutes on the internet on board so only costs us a few dollars.

I've never found the line for Southwest inside the terminal to be that long. It's usually the Skycap line that is longest. Southwest's system of terminals moves people along pretty fast. Those that don't need to check bags and just need a boarding pass don't even have to get in line because of the extra terminals opposite the Southwest Desk.

Paying the extra charge for automatic check-in is better than trying to check-in from the ship, probably less expensive and you're guaranteed a much better boarding number.. Printing a boarding pass at the airport is no big deal.

The Skycaps usually have 0-10 people in line. If there are more people, I would try inside. I've never been there on a Saturday morning though. I usually fly mid morning during the week. The long lines are usually at security, 15-60 minutes in my experience, normally about 30 minutes.

I've never found the line for Southwest inside the terminal to be that long. It's usually the Skycap line that is longest. Southwest's system of terminals moves people along pretty fast. Those that don't need to check bags and just need a boarding pass don't even have to get in line because of the extra terminals opposite the Southwest Desk.

Paying the extra charge for automatic check-in is better than trying to check-in from the ship, probably less expensive and you're guaranteed a much better boarding number.. Printing a boarding pass at the airport is no big deal.

Ditto. For flying home I would pay the extra charge for auto check in. No worries. ;)

I don't think you will have any problems. In February, we were able to make a 10:15am flight. We were a group of 4 adults on Emerald Princess. We changed our disembarkation to walk off with luggage. We were one of the first groups off and arrived at FLL at 8:10am by taxi.

When we cruise from FLL we try to stay an extra night after to avoid the airport. If not, we will try to be off the ship by 9. As we go into the luggage terminal, my DH will hold up some cash and the luggage porter will come over, grab our bags, get us outside and hail a taxi for us in a flash. We never have to wait as he takes care of everything. Always to the airport by 930. Way ahead of the buses.:)

If you need to be there earlier, do the same, just get off the ship earlier. No need to LUG your luggage off.

I didn't mention in my previous post that we usually book a flight with SWA between 1130 and 1200 and using the Sky Cap service we are often at the gate twiddling our thumbs by 0900 or shortly after...as I recall one time we were there by 0830.

Archived