Which deck should I chose dec 15th qm2

Travellers123

Hi, new to cunard, only cruised once b4. Chance to book the shampton to NYC on thr 15th dec, should I go for deck 8obstructed or deck 4 sheltered. Many thanks Sam

Hi Sam and welcome to the Cunard Forum:

I ditto what what Whitemarsh suggested. He is short and to the point, however, I don't have that gift so here goes:

We had a sheltered cabin on deck 4 on our last crossing. We loved it. We are now going to book this type of cabin on future sailings. We were able to use it on rainy days and very windy days as it offers great protection. You are also so much closer to the water which we love.

On our first crossing on QM2 in 2008 we had an obstructed cabin on deck 8. There was a big orange lifeboat that was dead aim in front of us. (The Orange Monster;)) We knew that might be case so were fine with that, however, we did not know that some of the crew go up and down the ladder to the lifeboat during the sailing. We had to keep our curtain closed as we were never sure when they would appear. We joked about having to share our cabin with the crew:eek: :D but didn't find it funny enough to reserve or take any further chance on another such cabin. I like to leave my curtains open when at sea.

Below is a link to the cabin via pepper's excellent pictures (also please take the tour of QM2 he has on his Flicker site as it really worth it):

The cabin:

(you will find the in-hull sheltered cabin about half way down the pictures)

The tour:

You will love the QM2....she is without equal.

Have a great sailing,

seasidegal

Definitely sheltered on deck four or five.

I could actually cope with the orange buddy, but it would be the crew climbing around it that would be the issue.

It was seasidegal who alerted me to that. :p

Last time I was deck five, this time Im on deck four.

Hi, new to cunard, only cruised once b4. Chance to book the shampton to NYC on thr 15th dec, should I go for deck 8obstructed or deck 4 sheltered. Many thanks Sam

Just adding to what Whitemarsh said, definitely deck 4 but go for midships or forward.

Other threads over the past few years mention that some Deck 4 AFT staterooms can suffer from vibration, or late night noise from The Queen's Room Band and G32 disco.

Pushka:

I could actually cope with the orange buddy, but it would be the crew climbing around it that would be the issue.

It was seasidegal who alerted me to that. :p

Thankfully, I saw them before it became a :o situation. I was prepared for the obstructed view but not for Climbing Men:D. I joked with my husband that at my age, perhaps, having men climbing up to my balcony would be an additional charge and hoped that we had enough OBC to cover it. ;)

Just adding to what Whitemarsh said, definitely deck 4 but go for midships or forward.

Other threads over the past few years mention that some Deck 4 AFT staterooms can suffer from vibration, or late night noise from The Queen's Room Band and G32 disco.

Aussie Flyer:

We had one of the last AFT cabins on Deck 4 and there was some type of vibration. We didn't hear any late night noise from The Queen's Room

Band or G32 disco though. However, the vibration would not stop us from booking the same cabin again as we didn't feel it was that bad.

best regards,

seasidegal

I reckon the issue with the crew is that you'd have to be on alert all the time and not simply just "be". I'm thinking the crew must also worry about exactly what they are going to see. Not as though it's a ship filled with young beauties! :eek:

One advantage of the sheltered balconies on deck 4 & 5 is that you can hear and smell the ocean. Up on the balconies on decks 9 & 10 this isn't really the case. You feel and hear the wind, but you don't get that close exposure to the sea that the lower decks do.

How's the next cruise lining up WM? Grills this time?

I just checked my location, I'm slightly forward of midship. Sounds good for me.

Very well thank you. And getting very close too, almost at the three month mark.

I'm in Queens Grill, with a lovely suite overlooking the stern. All my Cunard trips are wonderful, but I have this feeling that this one is going to be extra special.

Do you have a sheltered balcony or an inside? Another benefit of decks 4 & 5 is that they are halfway between everywhere that you could want to go.

It's good that you're doing a much longer voyage this time.

Very well thank you. And getting very close too, almost at the three month mark.

I'm in Queens Grill, with a lovely suite overlooking the stern. All my Cunard trips are wonderful, but I have this feeling that this one is going to be extra special.

Do you have a sheltered balcony or an inside? Another benefit of decks 4 & 5 is that they are halfway between everywhere that you could want to go.

It's good that you're doing a much longer voyage this time.

Wow. Queens Grill. Departing NY. Panama Canal. Sounds amazing.

I stumped for a balcony this time when that amazing sale happened a few weeks ago. And yes, going to enjoy the time out! 4 days and I know there are places I didn't even know existed. Let alone explore them.

I've been 12 times on QM2...my choice would be Deck 4 as opposed to any cabin on Deck 8 - without hesitation.

Wow. Queens Grill. Departing NY. Panama Canal. Sounds amazing.

I stumped for a balcony this time when that amazing sale happened a few weeks ago. And yes, going to enjoy the time out! 4 days and I know there are places I didn't even know existed. Let alone explore them.

I'm very much looking forward to the sail away from New York - and the rest. I plan to just spend the day on my balcony for the Panama Canal.

Your itinerary is great, plenty of sea days and interesting ports. Plenty of time to explore QM2, and really start to feel as though you are 'home'. You will really like Shanghai, it's very different.

Mon Mar 10 Adelaide, Australia

Tue Mar 11 At Sea

Wed Mar 12 Melbourne, Australia

Thu Mar 13 At Sea

Fri Mar 14 Sydney, Australia

Sat Mar 15 At Sea

Sun Mar 16 Brisbane, Australia

Mon Mar 17 At Sea

Tue Mar 18 At Sea

Wed Mar 19 Cairns, Australia

Thu Mar 20 At Sea

Fri Mar 21 At Sea

Sat Mar 22 At Sea

Sun Mar 23 At Sea

Mon Mar 24 At Sea

Tue Mar 25 Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Wed Mar 26 At Sea

Thu Mar 27 At Sea

Fri Mar 28 At Sea

Sat Mar 29 Shanghai, China

Sun Mar 30 At Sea

Mon Mar 31 At Sea

Tue Apr 1 Hong Kong

Wed Apr 2 Hong Kong

I'm very much looking forward to the sail away from New York - and the rest.

Whitemarsh,

The sail away on QE from Manhattan Cruise Terminal has been our favorite.

I took so many pictures my finger ached. :D

You will really enjoy it and I hope you have great weather that day.

Also loved boarding QE in NY...one, two and three and you on.

Fastest boarding in all our years of cruising.

best wishes for a wonderful cruise,

seasidegal

Many thanks deck 4 it is then, also does the crossing have a festive atmosphere with it being the sailing b4 Xmas, and how formal is it, are there many formal nights, more than usual due to the time of year. Many thanks again, there will probably

Y be more questions soon

Sam

I agree that Deck 4 is the place to be in a December crossing - as close to midships as possible because in case of rough seas, you will feel less movement. I was on the QM2 for three days of very heavy seas in December 2011 with winds near Hurricane Force 1 a few times

and whenever I felt queasy, an hour or so in the cabin with fresh air made me feel ok again. I never got really seasick. You should find the ship tastefully decorated for the holidays - the Grand Lobby is especially striking. Highlight was singing Christmas carols and songs in the Grand Lobby with hundreds of the other passengers lining both decks and the stairway and "snow" coming down on the Christmas tree.

Sam, yes, it's very festive on board....the staff get in the spirit as well. Same amount of formal nights as the other trips. I vote for the sheltered balcony also. We boarded in NY in 2011 and the passengers from Southampton were rather dazed from their crossing. :)

We've sailed once in the deck 8 obstructed cabin.....I didn't know about the "climbers" either until waking up to them one morning. I watched them whenever they were out there and they never look towards the balconies....ever. I'm guessing they've been warned or else they've never seen anything worthwhile and they just quit looking.

Recently stayed in a deck 4 aft cabin (4188) and although at times there was some vibration, it didn't bother me too much. On the 2 occasions I had an early night, I did hear music which I assume was from the Queens room band as it stopped around midnight.

Whitemarsh,

The sail away on QE from Manhattan Cruise Terminal has been our favorite.

I took so many pictures my finger ached. :D

You will really enjoy it and I hope you have great weather that day.

Also loved boarding QE in NY...one, two and three and you on.

Fastest boarding in all our years of cruising.

best wishes for a wonderful cruise,

seasidegal

Thank you Seasidegal,

Is boarding in New York routinely particularly faster than other ports?

Archived