Just Wondering

PDC55

I've read about propping your balcony door open using wedge or bungee cord and placing a magnet over whatever so that the A/C remains on while it's open. Then I've read numerous comments from people complaining that their cabin was way too warm. If I have the A/C on in my house and I've got the windows or doors open it just does not work as well. I know each cabin has it's own thermostat but I would think that if several cabins around me have the door open and the A/C cut down that it is going to effect mine in some way or another. I know there has to be some A/C techs out there that can comment. :confused:

The cabins do have thermostats but the maintenance guy told me leaving the door open affects AC of cabins around you. I didn't have the door stopper in my last cabin. Steward told me he's not allowed to leave it anymore. That thing sure came in handy when I was bringing luggage in or taking it out!

The cabins do have thermostats but the maintenance guy told me leaving the door open affects AC of cabins around you. I didn't have the door stopper in my last cabin. Steward told me he's not allowed to leave it anymore. That thing sure came in handy when I was bringing luggage in or taking it out!

The only thing independent of other cabins is the thermostat control. The return air (from your cabin to the system) is common among cabins, so if you have your thermostat off or up so the air is not on, and your balcony door open, you'll flood the system with hot moist air, which will ultimately affect those around you - and the system itself.

Whether at home, or on a cruise, if you have the air on - keep the doors & windows closed, otherwise you're taking a chance of damaging the system, and being stuck with no air until it can be repaired - and I doubt the service onboard cruise ships is as fast and efficient as that ashore....

The only thing independent of other cabins is the thermostat control. The return air (from your cabin to the system) is common among cabins, so if you have your thermostat off or up so the air is not on, and your balcony door open, you'll flood the system with hot moist air, which will ultimately affect those around you - and the system itself.

Whether at home, or on a cruise, if you have the air on - keep the doors & windows closed, otherwise you're taking a chance of damaging the system, and being stuck with no air until it can be repaired - and I doubt the service onboard cruise ships is as fast and efficient as that ashore....

That's kind of what I was thinking.

I am not an AC tech...but here is my thoughts.

These are individual AC units and would have no affect on one another. Just like staying in a hotel..each room has its own and the rooms around it have no affect on it

They are not individual units. It's just duct work from a large unit that delivers air at your ceiling. Not like a hotel unit that sits under your window.

Archived