Ship location info needed please :)

latitude918

Aft, midship, forward -- I've only been on one cruise and don't understand the difference. I'd love to get some more info about the advantages/disadvantages of each from some cruise savvy veterans.

What about deck location? Is higher always better? I don't have a window or balcony so...whats the difference between those?

Thanks in advance for any info provided :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Like most things in life, "best" is subjective. If you are prone to motion sickness, low and center are the best. If you have mobility issues, being close to the Lido or dining room may be preferable. If you are claustrophobic, you want an outside or balcony. If you want to sleep in, a nice dark interior may be preferable. What is it that you are looking forward to, specifically in your cabin? How much of an issue is price? What is your destination? (For example, there is a lot to see from your balcony on an Alaskan cruise)

Whatever location you choose, I hope you have a great cruise!

Aft, midship, forward -- I've only been on one cruise and don't understand the difference. I'd love to get some more info about the advantages/disadvantages of each from some cruise savvy veterans.

What about deck location? Is higher always better? I don't have a window or balcony so...whats the difference between those?

For minimal movement you want low midship. However the stabilizers on the newer ships minimize the motion so to most cruisers, after a day or so you get use to the movement on any deck. My favorite is an aft balcony cabin. Having breakfast on sea days with the ships wake behind you is amazing. Also nice views when leaving port. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I had similar questions not that long ago and decided on ocean view on deck 1 mid ship. I was afraid of motion sickness so that's what made me decide. I was thinking that deck 1 would be undesirable location but I loved the location. It was an easy flight down to get off the ship at port and we never really had to wait for the elevator. As for the ocean view it was a huge plus having a window to look out at the ocean and let the natural sunlight in. I struggled with splurging on a balcony but I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the extra $$$. Ocean view rooms are the biggest and we were 4 to a room so space was a concern. It was perfect. Best of luck in whatever you decide. Enjoy the planning.

Break the ship into 3 pieces front to back. Forward is the front end of the ship. Mid is the middle and Aft is toward the rear. Where you like to be is up to you.

A friend loves as far forward as he can get, I prefer to be closer to the aft elevators. Personal preference in most cases.

As to up and down, again personal choice. I am a smoker, and have never smoked inside the room. So I get my room close to the smoking area near the aft. Just simpler for me.

Like someone else said, best really is subjective.

For DH and I, best is Aft on the Empress deck. Just two quick floors up to the Lido, and two down from the Promenade, plus we're sandwiched between floors of cabins.

Of course I made the mistake of surprising DH with an upgrade to a balcony cabin last September, and he quickly proclaimed we would never cruise without one :rolleyes:

We've only been on one cruise before, but we loved the location so much that we booked it again. You do feel a bit of swaying in the aft, but I think it just made for better sleeping.

We spend a lot of time at the pool area on the Lido deck and like to book a cabin aft near the back elevator plus ...not too far to the buffet. :D

Me too. Aft starboard is preferable to me, not too far away from the elevators, and to me deck doesn't really matter. Aft to mid is easy to reach lido deck for buffet, middle of the night pizza run, and morning coffee. :-)

If none of the travels have motion sickness, review the floor plan of the ship and base you choice on the places you want to be closest. If someone has motion sickness, the pivot point on the ship is the middle, which means you will feel less movement in that location.

Is there a "quieter" part of the ship? DW and I are used to waking up early for work and always cherish our time when we get to sleep in.

I like the aft facing balconies for the view but also because they are usually very quiet due to the lack of foot traffic outside the door. I also love the sound of the wake which can drown out any other noise. Be sure to check the deck plans and make sure that you have cabins above and below you. Stay away from the theatre and any bars and the galley areas as those can generate a lot of noise.

Is there a "quieter" part of the ship? DW and I are used to waking up early for work and always cherish our time when we get to sleep in.

I prefer far forward or far aft, away from the elevators. I also check what's above and below me and try to make sure they are either other cabins or places that will be quiet during the night like the spa. The rooms I've had midship seemed much noisier from people not thinking and talking loudly in the halls as they go back and forth to their rooms. Very few people will walk all the way forward or aft if they don't need to be there.

I've also been over the sports bar and near the elevators... heard every ding of the elevator, music from the atrium until 1am most nights, and every cheer during every big game in the sports bar. Never again on that one. :)

Aft, midship, forward -- I've only been on one cruise and don't understand the difference. I'd love to get some more info about the advantages/disadvantages of each from some cruise savvy veterans. Aft and forward you're likely to feel more motion, midships you won't.

What about deck location? Is higher always better? I don't have a window or balcony so...whats the difference between those? You're liable to feel more motion the higher you are, whether you're forward or aft.

If you're bothered by the motion, the lower and more centered you are on the ship, the less you'll be bothered...

As far as the motion sickness goes, how much time do you plan on spending in your cabin? For the most part, lots of people spend most of their time on the Lido Deck which is high up. I've never understood why people pick the lower levels to avoid seasickness when they still have to go to other decks and fore or aft for many things like the buffet, theater, etc.

We always pick the Panorama deck. It's not as big as the others so there is less traffic and very little noise. Of course, the higher you go, the higher the price.

If you are going in an inside cabin, the view is the same no matter what deck you are on. ;)

Archived