Garifuna tour???? Your experience???

Marie321

We will be arriving in Roatan on Princess in December. We went with Victor Bodden before and did an island tour, the monkeys, and iguana farm. We are looking for something different this trip. Has anyone went to the Garifuna village? If so, your opinion of the tour???

Below is what Princess says:

Then participate in a cultural presentation unlike any you've ever seen. Travel to Yubu, the Garifuna Village, and meet members of the Garifuna tribe, descendants of Black Carib Indians who settled here in 1797. Enjoy a performance of music and dance that stays true to Garifuna heritage. The tribe has maintained its lifestyle, culture and language to this day, and you will have an opportunity to learn a few greetings in the native language. Next you will stop at Satuye Park located in Punta Gorda where you will see the bronze statue of "Satuye" a famous Garifuna leader. Here, you will also have the opportunity to go inside an authentic Garifuna hut and watch a typical Garifuna dish being prepared.

We have been there ourselves, just us and the driver..There is not anything very impressive about the village itself, but I am glad we toured the east end, since we have been three times to Roatan so far.Will be going again in March and Nov 2014..The east end is definitely worth a visit as it is the real Roatan. No crowds there. We did a mangrove boat tour with a local also.

SANY1862.jpg

screenshot captor

SANY1878.jpg

screen grab

SANY1885.jpg

free pic

SANY1910.jpg

20mb image hosting

I did a similar tour with Carnival. We went to the village and they lead us to a large palapa where there were benches for seating. After a short presentation the dancers came in and performed for just the right amount of time. It's interesting with an interesting story--I won't ruin it for you.

We toured some of the island and then did a short boat ride. I had a good time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...