Virgin cruiser - Mercury

TeachKinde

OK - First time crusier. Traveling on the Mercury for a week to Alaska. HELP, HELP, HELP! I have no idea what I'm in store for. For instance, just exactly what does "formal" mean? Hello - I live in the Northwest. "Formal" means your good pair of jeans. HELP!

Bev

OK - First time crusier. Traveling on the Mercury for a week to Alaska. HELP, HELP, HELP! I have no idea what I'm in store for. For instance, just exactly what does "formal" mean? Hello - I live in the Northwest. "Formal" means your good pair of jeans. HELP!

Bev

Hi Bev !

Here is what I picked up from the Celebrity Website. If you have any more questions, please ask !

I hope this helps you with your questions. Enjoy your Cruise !

Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include three types of dress: formal, informal and casual.

Formal attire calls for an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies and a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for gentlemen. Elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights.

For your convenience, arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit http://www.cruiselineformal.com or call 800-551-5091 or 305-252-8572.

On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks. Casual nights call for casual, comfortable wear, so women may opt for a pantsuit or sporty outfit while gentlemen may choose a sport shirt and slacks.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. Dining in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops or swimsuits detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

Traveling on Mercury last summer, for the excursions I found jeans and a light jacket most appropriate. For casual dinners I did slacks and a dressy sweater or blouse. For other evening I usually wore a long skirt or dressy pants with an evening type of top. For the two formal evening I worn long dresses that could be worn to a wedding or a really nice evening dinner, long skirts are terrific, pack well and are comfortable all evening.

On our evening at the Captain's table, I did wear a strapless evening dress with a matching wrap. (Sure wish I could still get into it) Be sure to bring along comfy shorts and tees if your into exercising. Tennis shoes and sandals were my staples for day wear with a pair of nice heels for the formal dinners. Not being a hat person, I was surprised at how often I wore one for hiking, excursions and being on deck. Around Hubbard it gets a little cool and windy. Bought along several lycra/cotton tops, they don't wrinkle and can be rinsed out and dried overnite if necessary. We also bought sweatshirts on Mercury for the deck on cool evenings. (We could have used some long underwear while whale watching from the deck. Don't forget your swimsuit (or two) The T pool on Mercury is amazing!

Alaska has been by far our favorite cruise so far. The scenery is beautiful and the Mercury staff were superb! For your comfort, don't pack a lot of extras, the ships laundry and dry cleaning are wonderful, and it's worth a few extra dollars to have them assist you. Travel irons are not allowed on the ships, and sometimes you need that extra pressing. I also took small travel sizes of deodorant, toothpaste, etc. so I could pitch it instead of repacking.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I be looking forward to hearing about it on your review.

Best wishes!

Yes........formal is a tux or suit if you go to main DR for the guys thing.....gals......dressy pants and top will suffice. You can do alternative dining and "dress down", but we saw no jeans there either - khaki's and polo shirts for guys and I wear capri pants and nice top. There is also the outside buffet and we showed up there in shorts......it is by the inside pool area at the back o fthe ship.......it was excellent!

We did your cruise in June. If you want to pack less, build your nite time wardrobe around one color, say black. Take one pair of dressy black slacks and two dressy tops to go with the slacks for the 2 formal nites. Take a second pair of black slacks for the 2 informal nights and two tops. For the three casual nights, you can wear tops that you will wear on port days after you have worn them at night. Everything must go with black so that you have to pack only one pair of dressy black heels.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time.

Archived