How do parents book so far in advance due to school calendar?

jburk

I've never heard of anyone being left back because of too many absences. I think it depends on the student. Going on vacation is (to me) different than a kid that misses because he'd skipped class or was receiving failing grades. Why punish kids for parents wanting them to have experiences? My oldest will be at 9 days after our cruise (missed 4 because he had knee surgery) the other 3 will be at 8 (went out of town for great grandmas funeral for 3 oldest stayed home) I think if the parent Is Really Involved In THE Child's education and the school sees this they may be more lenient. .maybe. we also go to a very small school (actually 2 small school districts with maybe 300 students k-12 in one and maybe 550 k-12 In The other )so everyone knows everyone else.

Much depends upon your school district's rules and your states regulations and laws.

Our school system has prelim calendars for the next three years (things can and do always change, but it is at least a starting point). They tend to be ok with absences, particularly if you notify them and your kid(s) are doing ok.

It is really a case-by-case basis. What works for your child, what works for your family and what is allowed by your school district.

I Google my daughters school district name and the next yr school calendar. Ex: BROWARD COUNTY 2015 SCHOOL CALENDAR

I've always found a tentative schedule that has always turned into the finalized one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

We will pull our kids out every few years for vacations. We go in May when there are no midterms/exams. My husband can not get of Holiday weeks and we can not afford to go in the summer (5 kids) and I also would not enjoy myself in the summer heat and crowds. Vacations are very important to us. It gives us time to reconnect as a family. Schools have never had a problem. My oldest is in high school and she gets 14 absences a year. She has only used 1.

I'm going to say this with the kindest and loving-est tone for my words- this topic is near and dear to my heart, so please do not mistake passion for judgment:

Kids get 13 years of compulsory education - and bless them if they want more after that.

For heaven's sake just pull them out.

Life is an adventure! Live it!

:D

We're leaving in 19 days! Kids and I will be experiencing a piece of adventure in this life together, and school goes on without them. (shockingly, they don't shut it down just because we went on vacation... go figure) I'll get the kids' assignments from their teachers ahead of time, and we're good to go... and as I type this I'm looking right at the piles of school achievement awards plastered to my refrigerator (including perfect attendance and honor roll) So I think we're OK. Really.

Vacations are supposed to be fun, not brain damage! So go and have fun!

Example - I booked this cruise only 2 days ago, thank you Carnival Kids Sail Free!!! I'm a single mother with limited means, and it's incredibly special to me that I can jump on an offer that makes this adventure affordable. There is no way I can pay double just to get a summer sailing date.

Priorities man :D

PS: RE: Truancy letters. Try not to be uptight. Cruise more, worry less. :-) I got a truancy letter once. They missed ONE day to attend their own father's funeral, and I forgot to call and excuse them. I got a truancy letter. Guess what? I read it, gave it the proverbial finger, and threw it in the trash. It was not a court order, it was not a ticket, there was no fine, etc. etc. It was a LETTER. A very non-scary piece of paper with a "courtesy" outline of the state rules regarding school attendance... and it came at a really BAD time in my life. They're lucky I didn't write back. Truly.