Navigator Aft Cabin 1688 or 1390?

pmak

We switched from aft balcony cabin 1390 deck 10 to aft balcony 1688 deck 10 on the Navigator. I just read that cabin 1688 balcony gets hot and doesn't have a lot of rail space....not sure if I should switch back to aft cabin 1390. Has anyone stayed in both and which one would you choose? Also does anyone have have any photos of cabin 1688 balcony. This will be are first alf balcony. Thanks!!

We're big aft fans and have stayed in both cabins on different ships. First of all they are both fantastic. My preference is 1390 because IMO it has the best balcony, large and rectangular in shape, the cabin is just a bit longer than a regular D1. 1388 is the bigger cabin, closer in size to a JS with a pole at the bottom of the bed. The balcony is large but 'pie shaped' and cave like. Most people do seem to prefer this cabin though, I guess it depends if your preference is the cabin or the balcony.

Julie

We're big aft fans and have stayed in both cabins on different ships. First of all they are both fantastic. My preference is 1390 because IMO it has the best balcony, large and rectangular in shape, the cabin is just a bit longer than a regular D1. 1388 is the bigger cabin, closer in size to a JS with a pole at the bottom of the bed. The balcony is large but 'pie shaped' and cave like. Most people do seem to prefer this cabin though, I guess it depends if your preference is the cabin or the balcony.

Julie

Thank you Julie, Just wondering if you happen to have any photos of balcony 1688? Thanks again, Patricia

Julie

I agree with Julie.

We have been in cabin 1390 and 1690. We have also checked out 1688 on turn around day.

Her cabin and balcony descriptions are accurate. I also would chose cabin 1390 or 1690. The balcony is huge, more like 10 x 1. It is actually wider than the cabin. I tried to attach a few pics from 1690 but I am getting an error.

Oooohh would be interested to see pics of 1690, we have it booked next year on adventure..... Hoping I can overcome my fear of heights in time to enjoy the balcony!!!

I don't think you'll have any problem with the height, its actually better than the usual balconies on the side of the ship because the cabins below it come out in 'steps' so there is no sharp drop. Also because the balcony is so deep you can sit out there and be nowhere near the rail.

I've just looked through my pictures and don't have anything that really shows the size, sorry. If you search in Google you'll probably find some pics, I remember seeing some before we first had these cabins.

Julie

We switched from aft balcony cabin 1390 deck 10 to aft balcony 1688 deck 10 on the Navigator. I just read that cabin 1688 balcony gets hot and doesn't have a lot of rail space....not sure if I should switch back to aft cabin 1390. Has anyone stayed in both and which one would you choose? Also does anyone have have any photos of cabin 1688 balcony. This will be are first alf balcony. Thanks!!

We were in 1388 on Navigator last February. It's the mirror image of 1688.

We loved it but it was a little hot on a couple of port days. Would book it again in a heartbeat.

Here's a link to a post with some pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37691244&postcount=182

Oooohh would be interested to see pics of 1690, we have it booked next year on adventure..... Hoping I can overcome my fear of heights in time to enjoy the balcony!!!

I'm sorry. I tried to post pics of 1690 but my files must be too large.

I am also afraid of heights. And I can honestly say that the balcony never scared me. Although sometimes walking the upper decks, if I would look down, that would get me:o

We were in 1388 on Navigator last February. It's the mirror image of 1688.

We loved it but it was a little hot on a couple of port days. Would book it again in a heartbeat.

Here's a link to a post with some pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37691244&postcount=182

Glad to hear you would book 1388 again. I'm having trouble with your link...can't open pictures. Do I need to create a gmail account? Thanks Patricia

Julie, Also wondering which cabin balcony 1390 or 1688 is covered and provides more shade?

Thanks again. Patricia

Both are partially covered and provide some shade. 1688 is like sitting in a cave in the covered bit, it is solid all around you. 1390 is like a regular balcony(but much bigger), with about 3/4 of it covered from above. The 1st generation Voyager ships have less of this balcony covered because of their structure.

How much sun you get on both balconies really depends on the angle of the sun, when its rising or falling at the back of the ship, you get a lot of sun, but on either we could always find some shade.

I'm someone who spends a lot of time on the balcony(can't you tell!), and I just love the more open feel of 1390.

Julie

I don't think you'll have any problem with the height, its actually better than the usual balconies on the side of the ship because the cabins below it come out in 'steps' so there is no sharp drop. Also because the balcony is so deep you can sit out there and be nowhere near the rail.

I've just looked through my pictures and don't have anything that really shows the size, sorry. If you search in Google you'll probably find some pics, I remember seeing some before we first had these cabins.

Julie

Thanks for that made me feel a whole lot better, will have a look on google. Excited!

I'm sorry. I tried to post pics of 1690 but my files must be too large.

I am also afraid of heights. And I can honestly say that the balcony never scared me. Although sometimes walking the upper decks, if I would look down, that would get me:o

Thanks for the reassurance, was torturing myself worrying about it! Will make sure my DH walks with me on the upper decks just in case!

Both are partially covered and provide some shade. 1688 is like sitting in a cave in the covered bit, it is solid all around you. 1390 is like a regular balcony(but much bigger), with about 3/4 of it covered from above. The 1st generation Voyager ships have less of this balcony covered because of their structure.

How much sun you get on both balconies really depends on the angle of the sun, when its rising or falling at the back of the ship, you get a lot of sun, but on either we could always find some shade.

I'm someone who spends a lot of time on the balcony(can't you tell!), and I just love the more open feel of 1390.

Julie

Julie, Thanks so much for that info! Very helpful!

• 10 months later...

Here is my dilemma...Well...first off your not supposed to have a dilemma when you book a cruise, right? :)

I have my hubby and I and two 13 yr old boys (cousins) booked on 5-2015 Navigator of the Seas. I am told this room only has a pull out sofa, with two twin beds. I know they push the twins together to make a King sized bed. The two '13 yr old boys' don't really want to 'sleep' in the same bed ( who really cares, right?) Anyway, I am not giving up this cabin (1390) to get pulldowns......I love the aft rooms! But most only sleep 2-3. This room sleeps 4.

SO...

My solution is to leave the twins separated and me and hubby sleep on the sofa. I have heard through some of these posts that it isn't very comfy....

Does anyone know? Have you slept on it?? Also, is it the same size as the two twins pushed together??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Signed:

'Trying to make everyone happy'